So allowed to travel or not?

wildebus

Two bikers who went on a 200-mile round trip to buy fish and chips have been fined for breaching coronavirus lockdown restrictions.
Whitby Neighbourhood Policing Team said the trip was not "reasonable travel".

The force added: "Sixty-one fines were issued across Saturday and Sunday, with Malham again proving to be a "hot-spot" for out-of-area day-trippers, with 12 of the 61 fines issued being in the vicinity."

So no travel for pleasure. But what about work? Who decides if you need to travel for work reasons? Your boss? Who decides HE can say that work is essential? And if you are self-employed, do you write yourself a permission slip?

Did anyone check that every one of the people on this plane, with 95% of the seats occupied, NEEDED to travel? Any police issue any fines there?
1588675498724.png

Rec

Reasonable travel is so subjective! But the airplane.... well...they are "considering" face masks, disinfection of planes and social distancing!! And the airline's got government money to support them during the pandemic? presumably sothe above actions could be taken and people could travel safely. I certainly wouldn't get on the plane if it was that packed and unsafe.

2cv

Two bikers who went on a 200-mile round trip to buy fish and chips have been fined for breaching coronavirus lockdown restrictions.
Whitby Neighbourhood Policing Team said the trip was not "reasonable travel".

The force added: "Sixty-one fines were issued across Saturday and Sunday, with Malham again proving to be a "hot-spot" for out-of-area day-trippers, with 12 of the 61 fines issued being in the vicinity."

So no travel for pleasure. But what about work? Who decides if you need to travel for work reasons? Your boss? Who decides HE can say that work is essential? And if you are self-employed, do you write yourself a permission slip?

Did anyone check that every one of the people on this plane, with 95% of the seats occupied, NEEDED to travel? Any police issue any fines there?
View attachment 54341
It’s a real problem as to how air travel can restart safely. Certainly there appears to be lots of risk in that photo. Hepa filters will remove the virus in recirculated air but that can’t stop direct transmission. It’s likely that most passengers are travelling for work, which Is allowed but I would think it unlikely that this has been checked. Travelling on other forms of public transport can of course result in similar proximities.
Crews too have been and are being subject to risk. Repatriation flights are still taking place from many places. An example of the risks are crews operating to New York who were immediately quarantined in nearby hotels, where staff were infected in many cases. Several crew were infected there, I know of at least one death. Duties of up to 30 hours are being flown on some of these flights to prevent being quarantined, with several crews taking their rest on the aircraft.

snapster

The bikers were travelling to get fish and chips. I think as soon as the bikers passed the first fish and chip shop that was open, the rest of their trip was unnecessary.

Markd

It's my understanding that you don't have to be doing essential work if your business is open and you can't do it at home.
Your employer should ensure you can socially isolate.
Personally I see now point in trying to keep 2m from others on a plane as the air is recirculated.

jagmanx

It’s a real problem as to how air travel can restart safely. Certainly there appears to be lots of risk in that photo. Hepa filters will remove the virus in recirculated air but that can’t stop direct transmission. It’s likely that most passengers are travelling for work, which Is allowed but I would think it unlikely that this has been checked. Travelling on other forms of public transport can of course result in similar proximities.
Crews too have been and are being subject to risk. Repatriation flights are still taking place from many places. An example of the risks are crews operating to New York who were immediately quarantined in nearby hotels, where staff were infected in many cases. Several crew were infected there, I know of at least one death. Duties of up to 30 hours are being flown on some of these flights to prevent being quarantined, with several crews taking their rest on the aircraft.
From the BEEB
"Air fares should fall when flights restart but then rise by at least 50%, warns a global airline industry body."
Not surprised sir 2 people flying 3 seats needed !
I appreciate it is not as simple as that as less weight means slightly less fuel costs and it seems fuel will be cheap for at least a short while !

Norfolk Jim

I'm self-employed in architecture and have the odd job scattered around the country. All bar one site are shut but 2 weeks ago I had to visit that site which was nearly a 200 mile round trip. I was required on site as it was something that could not be dealt with on phone or by using video which I'd done previously - £40k of curved glass was being delivered and only I could check it. All bar last 10 miles are dual carriageway. Got to within 6 miles of site and plod pulled me over and said they'd noticed I was well away from my home and what was I doing. I explained my job and reason for trip and they asked for proof!!!! I pointed to hi-viz jacket, hard hat, safety boots and glasses. I then showed them one of my drawings with my name and address on top and site address and pointed to my Sat Nav which showed the address. They were polite and thanked me for being helpful and wished me a good day. Before they left I actually asked the question - 'I assume I am ok visiting my other jobs if needed......' the answer was yes as i was going about my normal work and from home but this does involve some essential travel!!!!!

2cv

It's my understanding that you don't have to be doing essential work if your business is open and you can't do it at home.
Your employer should ensure you can socially isolate.
Personally I see now point in trying to keep 2m from others on a plane as the air is recirculated.
The recirculated air passes through HEPA filters so will not contain the virus, meaning that social distancing should be effective on a plane.
It’s unfortunate but these filters are not effective in removing the toxins from burned engine oil that lead to Aerotoxic syndrome, but that’s a different matter.

witzend

It’s a real problem as to how air travel can restart safely. Certainly there appears to be lots of risk in that photo. Hepa filters will remove the virus in recirculated air
But do the filters get the servicing that they should

wildebus

Well, I had my wee break out the country :cool:
instead of going to the nearest Scottish Post Office 3.5 miles away, I recklessly carried on driving over the border to go to an English Post Office 5 miles away!
Depending on what happens on Friday, there may be a few more people crossing the border as apparently the Scottish govt. have announced a 3 week extension to the current restrictions?

2cv

Well, I had my wee break out the country :cool:
instead of going to the nearest Scottish Post Office 3.5 miles away, I recklessly carried on driving over the border to go to an English Post Office 5 miles away!
Depending on what happens on Friday, there may be a few more people crossing the border as apparently the Scottish govt. have announced a 3 week extension to the current restrictions?
Don’t worry, she only announces what the UK government plan to announce anyway. It’s just an attempt to look important and has even been named.

F871D617-84C2-4832-8DE7-556569172F2F.jpeg

Millie Master

As for the bikers highlighted in Dave's OP, personally speaking I am fed up to the back teeth with the irresponsible, generally brainless and utterly selfish idiots!
My opinion of high performance bikers was low enough prior to the lockdown, but ever since the start of it I am afraid to say that on each and every single sunny day it has reached previously unknown depths, as our ears have been subjected to the almost relentless noise of their ultra high powered bikes screaming along Lincolnshire and Leicestershire roads, no wonder traffic police talk about them as being "organ donors".

Oh and please don't get me wrong, I love motorbikes, I love the freedom of the one on one feeling of riding a bike on the open road, but surely to god there are responsible ways of doing it whilst still enjoying yourself and without a near unsilenced engine that is turning out upwards of 150 bhp. (my nephews very tweaked road legal R1 screams out 235 bhp at the back wheel)?

Personally speaking, as much as I want to be able to have the freedom to travel both far and wide once again, I honestly do believe that, painful as it is, we ought to be continuing with our stay at home efforts for considerably longer.

Wully

Here it’s not motorbikes it’s fat 50 60 year old morons wae purple and yellow skin tight Lycra that fits them like a condom the eejits are everywhere in groups of 5 to10 cycling there new flash shinny bikes that they just bought in the last few weeks.

Last edited:

Bigshug

Here it’s not motorbikes it’s fat 50 60 year old morons wae purple and yellow skin tight Lycra that fits them like a condom the eejits are everywhere in groups of 5 to10 cycling there new flash shinny bikes that they just bought in the last few weeks
we get the weekend Wiggins’s here as well, what they don’t realise when they make up a big peloton is that in the Tour de France there is no oncoming traffic.

2cv

It looks like quarantine is coming at last to the UK, Times tomorrow.

Rec

Very late action, nothing mentioned at all when we returned. Obviously assumed people had common sense and would isolate anyway. But we know how that goes! Hopefully, this will help stop a spike when movement restrictions are relaxed.

snapster

More less than positive information released. You are now allowed to travel “locally“
What does that mean? How far is local?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:208)

Jeanette, Edina, Okta, 2cv, tapfitter, St3v3, 2bob, tonybvi, Benylin, Nosmo king, TeamRienza, Carrotts, Ian1950, mr brown, yorkslass, Phase3begins, oppy, britcoms, Linda, alwaysared, Rec, Budgie, paulhelenwilko, nabsim, Penhalvean wanderer, Adrianne, Bouydog, mistericeman, rugbyken, Full Member, Vanterrier, jeffmossy, eurajohn, FULL TIMER, Fiona68, flying kipper, Topmast, snapster, rustydog, Carrerasax, LANDS43, Mikael63, Jo001, Boots, Roy Laura, Greengrass, pj650, Obanboy666, Markd, Biggarmac, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, jagmanx, Campervanannie, andromeda, AdriaTwin, clarkpeacock, Mark135, David0412, HurricaneSmith, Ardachaidh, Norfolk Jim, in h, peejay, Silver Camper, Silver sprinter, GreggBear, Allen, Tribute11, harrym, Barge1914, Molly 3, mandoman, Val54, Sherry, Exwindsurfer, Bigshug, frankii, vtwinner, Nomad, witzend, Haaamster, kenspain, seadogjon, Matchlock, andysm, noah and nelly, Ezzo York, john and janet, Millie Master, RV2MAX, vanda, bobemmo29, GWAYGWAY, nosfunk, Kenno, CriftinsCampers, Undertaker, HermanHymer, Tim1953, Rumik, Jimmy.C, Jann, TJBi, bdastu, Wully, ton27, jasi1710, stewpot, Chip, Thehawk, Dartmoor Punch, Owlhouse, silverweed, Roseroelofse, Ozbit, Captain Haddock, davef, Rong, Lee, korky, juliet, Taurian, Minisorella, ibs7491, Chris Evans001, Reiverlad, Wooie1958, Alan01704, old cronies, Old Man Down, Pedalman, Chrisb1701, RoaminRog, trevskoda, The wilsons, belbri, Mobilvetta, Raptor107, Clunegapyears, bobbrigside, nutts, Wes, moonshadow, Donsider, Bugsbunny, lofty, s4x4c, Chris356, Liberty hall, mike17, Tjay, drumgirl, Fifer, Ginfearsdad, Cockers, bampi, Skiptonian, rabW, PeteS, RONWOOD, wints, ted47, runnach, mendit, Mickymost, Cdmoreear, Yorkscol, Kraken, SpiroPope, Mevi, GMJ, Littlemush, VWann, DaveP, Escape2020, coffeenut, Louise Davidson, Neodafyd, Metcufs, frankw, Tezza33, Alcfire, cowanhouse, billfraser, Aracaris, foster8, Mojays, walpeter, Cie, lifeafloat, Forcesixwindy, Chasn, Mike Woolstencroft, Georgieporgie, tugboat, forthpilot, Jon Eskdale, Bounce, Nowego, IanT, 2vans, gemmy, Phil Mould, Jimbohorlicks, Wrighpm, Diddlydun, Raymondo, MrKenny,