So allowed to travel or not?

wildebus

Definition of "local" must depend on area. you can't have a 'size fits all' defintion. In some areas, there could be 30 supermarkets or more within a 4 miles radius. In my area there is 1 within 4 miles. Other remote areas could be much more that that.

Did my furthest journey out today since the 23rd March, when I got the car MOTed. 30 mile round trip to go to ASDA (the nearest supplier of a particular food item we like). Also went to Morrisons while in the town to get some stuff ASDA didn't have, and Homebase to get some DIY stuff (but queues outside too long to bother with).

Interestingly, between the two supermarkets I noticed one solitary person wearing a facemask. I expected them to be more common.

Pedalman

Boris said today, Sunday 10th May 7 PM
( Fast forward to 8:43 ) we can "drive to different destinations" . He didn't put any restrictions on distance. How do we interpret this ?

The wilsons

There in fact should have been a safety at work forced plan put into place before we go back,i urge all of you to think twice about what way you work this to keep safe over the next few mths. (y)
Totally agree, how can mum and dad go to work when kids can't go to grans or grandad, no babysitters allowed in the house, some kids may be at school others at home, total shambles, I'm staying at home where possible and if I do go out I'll be taking maximum precautions.

Millie Master

I have just read on a Facebook group that there are large numbers of motorhomes, cars towing trailers and caravans all heading North on the M6 in the direction of the Lake District, but this along with numerous other posts have just been deleted but by whom??

I am sorry to say that I knew there would be enormous problems following the PM's speech last night as there are so many selfish and generally mindless idiots out there in the UK who only understand words that are BLACK & WHITE whereas "stay alert" is most decidedly grey and anything said or written that is grey will have these plonkers thinking that it doesn’t apply to them!!

Sorry to say it Mr. Prime Minister, but I sincerely believe you have got this totally wrong and you should have continued following the advice of science and indeed your utterly brilliant Health Secretary!!

St3v3

Travel advice from the 50 pages today:

People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household.
When travelling to outdoor spaces, it is important that people respect the rules in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and do not travel to different parts of the UK where it would be inconsistent with guidance or regulations issued by the relevant devolved administration.

Millie Master

The BIG trouble is that there are so many of those places that we all want to travel to are locations where the local residents don't want us to go to for two distinct reasons; (1) they are locations with a very vulnerable and aged population (2) if any one does go there, almost everything will still be locked down!

As for us, for the foreseeable future, with the exception of going for longer walks with our dogs, and we might be going for some lycra clad cycle rides, other than that we will still be keeping ourselves very much to ourselves.

St3v3

The BIG trouble is that there are so many of those places that we all want to travel to are locations where the local residents don't want us to go to for two distinct reasons; (1) they are locations with a very vulnerable and aged population
There are old and vulnerable people everywhere. My reply on the other, similar thread:

"The government has told me I have as much right to be on the beach as they do. If they feel the social distancing that everyone must observe isn't safe enough then they could stay at home during peak times.

Just because someone lives somewhere nice doesn't give them the right to decide who can or can't visit. Where will that end? You can't come to "my" beach because you might have a cold that I don't want to get because it will inconvenience me?"

(2) if any one does go there, almost everything will still be locked down!
I don't see how it has any relevance. I'm not going to the beach to go shopping, I'm going to be sat on the beach.

wildebus

There are old and vulnerable people everywhere. My reply on the other, similar thread:

"The government has told me I have as much right to be on the beach as they do. If they feel the social distancing that everyone must observe isn't safe enough then they could stay at home during peak times.

Just because someone lives somewhere nice doesn't give them the right to decide who can or can't visit. Where will that end? You can't come to "my" beach because you might have a cold that I don't want to get because it will inconvenience me?"

I don't see how it has any relevance. I'm not going to the beach to go shopping, I'm going to be sat on the beach.
You know, I was just reading something about Blackpool rebranding as "don't come to blackpool" or something and I was thinking just the same as you posted above.
It's lovely if you live somewhere nice, but just how well does the "we're all in it together" message come over if those people who have been stuck in flats in cities for example are being told they are not welcome in any scenic areas as the locals don't want to see any strangers passing by on 'their' roads?

Val54

My rule of thumb is “I try not to go where I‘m not wanted” with or without Covid. Our van will stay put until we can get to one of our favourite CL’s etc and as Phil said its a personal choice, sadly we won’t be wilding for the foreseeable future.

wildebus

I don't know about others, but I might well take a 15 mile drive to go to the seaside and maybe even have a walk along the beach, but ... and I think this factor seems have been forgotten .... I - and dare I suggest other sensible people - have no more desire to interact with any local residents any more than they would wish to interact with me! So just where is the risk?

Minisorella

Just listening to the Q&A following the briefing. Two questions from the same person... I'm paraphrasing enormously of course...

1. People at the coast in my area are worried that huge numbers will come to visit and we'll all be in more danger. There won't be any facilities for them anyway, so what will you say to them to help keep us safe from the visiting hoards.

2. Can you give us an idea when the tourist and hospitality businesses in my area will be able to open up again for business because they're all in danger of becoming bankrupt.

You couldn't make it up! 😂

Mickymost

Definition of "local" must depend on area. you can't have a 'size fits all' defintion. In some areas, there could be 30 supermarkets or more within a 4 miles radius. In my area there is 1 within 4 miles. Other remote areas could be much more that that.

Did my furthest journey out today since the 23rd March, when I got the car MOTed. 30 mile round trip to go to ASDA (the nearest supplier of a particular food item we like). Also went to Morrisons while in the town to get some stuff ASDA didn't have, and Homebase to get some DIY stuff (but queues outside too long to bother with).

Interestingly, between the two supermarkets I noticed one solitary person wearing a facemask. I expected them to be more common.

Many are not bothering with face -masks.They give one a false sense of security.

Mickymost

I don't know about others, but I might well take a 15 mile drive to go to the seaside and maybe even have a walk along the beach, but ... and I think this factor seems have been forgotten .... I - and dare I suggest other sensible people - have no more desire to interact with any local residents any more than they would wish to interact with me! So just where is the risk?

If you and 1000s of others visit the local beach to me and just walk along the beach.Social Distancing of course then get back in your cars and bugger off home then there is no problem.But a high percentage of those 1000s will just have to pop in the local supermarkers Tesco to get their crisps and coke.Then the virus is unwittingly spread, to local residents.Then once these 1000s have buggered off home and become ill they can go just up the road to their local multi bed Hospital and have a great chance of survival.The unfortunate local resident who has no local Hospital for at least 35 miles has a lower chance of recovery as will have to compete for a bed in the Hospital over 30 miles away.That is the risk!

St3v3

Many are not bothering with face -masks.They give one a false sense of security.
Micky, it seems quite clear from your posts that you need to try harder to actually understand the facts around this virus, and not from the newspapers.

The mask is not to protect you, but to protect others around you if you have the virus without symptoms.

Rec

If you and 1000s of others visit the local beach to me and just walk along the beach.Social Distancing of course then get back in your cars and bugger off home then there is no problem.But a high percentage of those 1000s will just have to pop in the local supermarkers Tesco to get their crisps and coke.Then the virus is unwittingly spread, to local residents.Then once these 1000s have buggered off home and become ill they can go just up the road to their local multi bed Hospital and have a great chance of survival.The unfortunate local resident who has no local Hospital for at least 35 miles has a lower chance of recovery as will have to compete for a bed in the Hospital over 30 miles away.That is the risk!
Hope the local Tesco is maintaining social distance rules and also that the local residents are too. We live in a rural town and very popular beaches nearby, hope that people will come and enjoy the space safely and responsibly. Our local hospital is an hour's drive too, but, personally, I don't think that is an issue. I plan to do all the recommended handwashing, social distancing, use my common sense, and stay safe.

Mevi

Coming back to the OPs link to the article, I note that the police spokesperson mentioned that Whitby has the "finest fish & chips". 😞😢😭

Heartbreaking, but I'll stay locak with whatever scabby looking fish I can get.

Reactions: Lee

Mickymost

Micky, it seems quite clear from your posts that you need to try harder to actually understand the facts around this virus, and not from the newspapers.

The mask is not to protect you, but to protect others around you if you have the virus without symptoms.

Steve from your posts on here in reply to mine It seems you are uneducated on this Virus.Some other posters also arent getting it.You Steve think its just like getting a cold. You really think I dont understand how this virus works, this advice from someone being you Steve who thinks this Virus is just like getting the common cold.Mmm on that advice Im not surprised you for one arent understanding the dangerous situation we are all in so PLEASE be careful when you are out and about in Bristol.

And I am fully aware of what a mask does, and you need come out from behind your mask as a keyboard warrior and study the dangers of #covid19 then YOU might GET this is not Flu or the common cold as you put it.

St3v3

Steve who thinks this Virus is just like getting the common cold
Please provide a quote of where I said CV is like a cold.

And I am fully aware of what a mask does,
So answer me, is the current government advice re you wearing a mask to protect you or others?

and you need come out from behind your mask as a keyboard warrior
Lol. When we can finally meet, I'm more than happy to sit around a fire with you and a beer and discuss this - or anything - like an adult, presenting arguments based on the best possible research I can do.

As I have done with other people in the past. We're still friends, probably still have a different view, but there was no warrior about any of it.

Last edited:

Val54

The dilemma for any government in the context of allowing the population to move around is simply this, do you deal with a pandemic with the mindset that we can’t trust the population to be sensible and plan for the “numpties” , ie no inessential travel until vaccine available and probably economic ruin by then; or a planned easing of restrictions which will always carry a risk. Note I said any government, it’s not a political point.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:208)

Jeanette, Edina, Okta, 2cv, tapfitter, St3v3, 2bob, tonybvi, Benylin, Nosmo king, TeamRienza, Carrotts, Ian1950, mr brown, yorkslass, Phase3begins, oppy, britcoms, Linda, alwaysared, Rec, Budgie, paulhelenwilko, nabsim, Penhalvean wanderer, Adrianne, Bouydog, mistericeman, rugbyken, Full Member, Vanterrier, jeffmossy, eurajohn, FULL TIMER, Fiona68, flying kipper, Topmast, snapster, rustydog, Carrerasax, LANDS43, Mikael63, Jo001, Boots, Roy Laura, Greengrass, pj650, Obanboy666, Markd, Biggarmac, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, jagmanx, Campervanannie, andromeda, AdriaTwin, clarkpeacock, Mark135, David0412, HurricaneSmith, Ardachaidh, Norfolk Jim, in h, peejay, Silver Camper, Silver sprinter, GreggBear, Allen, Tribute11, harrym, Barge1914, Molly 3, mandoman, Val54, Sherry, Exwindsurfer, Bigshug, frankii, vtwinner, Nomad, witzend, Haaamster, kenspain, seadogjon, Matchlock, andysm, noah and nelly, Ezzo York, john and janet, Millie Master, RV2MAX, vanda, bobemmo29, GWAYGWAY, nosfunk, Kenno, CriftinsCampers, Undertaker, HermanHymer, Tim1953, Rumik, Jimmy.C, Jann, TJBi, bdastu, Wully, ton27, jasi1710, stewpot, Chip, Thehawk, Dartmoor Punch, Owlhouse, silverweed, Roseroelofse, Ozbit, Captain Haddock, davef, Rong, Lee, korky, juliet, Taurian, Minisorella, ibs7491, Chris Evans001, Reiverlad, Wooie1958, Alan01704, old cronies, Old Man Down, Pedalman, Chrisb1701, RoaminRog, trevskoda, The wilsons, belbri, Mobilvetta, Raptor107, Clunegapyears, bobbrigside, nutts, Wes, moonshadow, Donsider, Bugsbunny, lofty, s4x4c, Chris356, Liberty hall, mike17, Tjay, drumgirl, Fifer, Ginfearsdad, Cockers, bampi, Skiptonian, rabW, PeteS, RONWOOD, wints, ted47, runnach, mendit, Mickymost, Cdmoreear, Yorkscol, Kraken, SpiroPope, Mevi, GMJ, Littlemush, VWann, DaveP, Escape2020, coffeenut, Louise Davidson, Neodafyd, Metcufs, frankw, Tezza33, Alcfire, cowanhouse, billfraser, Aracaris, foster8, Mojays, walpeter, Cie, lifeafloat, Forcesixwindy, Chasn, Mike Woolstencroft, Georgieporgie, tugboat, forthpilot, Jon Eskdale, Bounce, Nowego, IanT, 2vans, gemmy, Phil Mould, Jimbohorlicks, Wrighpm, Diddlydun, Raymondo, MrKenny,