So now you know

grath

It would be interesting to know how many fines British police have issued to foreign motorists
We don't send any from what I have read. It is a one way street!

wildebus

How does anyone here know if fines are issued to foreign drivers by the UK? Answer: They don't. And if the information they base their 'knowledge' from is from the Daily Mail, Express or Sun, well, say no more.

According to that article (and it is the Daily Mail, so who knows if this is right of course) it says:
"Mutual Legal Assistance allows authorities to co-operate to track motorists who commit offences overseas"
Think the key word there is "Mutual"?

V1nny

This appeared in todays Daily Mail and it explains why some people are coming back from Europe and sometimes months later receiving fines re traffic offences.

A friend of mine has got back after 4 weeks in France to find two speeding fines waiting for him. Both were on motorways.

grath

If someone uses the Autoroutes and gets one or more speeding fines and going down to Spain or Portugal, it might be cost effective to get the longer sea route

wildebus

When I got a parking fine - it was sent to Ron as registered keeper (he was not happy)
any tickets - speeding or otherwise are always sent to the registered keeper and it is up to the keeper to either confirm they are responsible or provide the name of the driver to pass it on to.
Always been that way.

wildebus

If someone uses the Autoroutes and gets one or more speeding fines and going down to Spain or Portugal, it might be cost effective to get the longer sea route
I know it is a wild and insane idea, but I thought I would just throw this mad suggestion out there ..... What about keeping to the speed limit?

Yeah, daft idea I know and it would also stop people whinging about how unfairly Brits are treated abroad and we can't have that either can we?

grath

I know it is a wild and insane idea, but I thought I would just throw this mad suggestion out there ..... What about keeping to the speed limit?

Yeah, daft idea I know and it would also stop people whinging about how unfairly Brits are treated abroad.
You are quite correct and myself I do nowadays really try and have not been flashed this year and even over the last few years the only flashing were probably when the camera thought my van was a truck.
BUT, it is so easy to get caught!
Sometimes the speed limit can drop for a bridge or side wind location, or on a city ring rd
You do need to have eyes everywhere and not a single person in perfect.
Luck does play a part
The unfairness is that it is not a two way street

grath

And regarding unfairness
When I was trucking on my 3rd journey to France I picked up a 900 Frank fine (£90) for a filling out a journey permit wrongly. I even had a spare permit I could use, but they would not accept it, and this was before I even got out of the port. IT was a genuine mistake through inexperience
Then another time I was approaching a set of traffic lights at Sees near to LeMans and I saw the Gendarmerie standing by the traffic light control box. He switched the light to red when I was too close to the lights to stop a fully freighted artic.
He then jumped onto his M/C, came chasing after me and fined me another 900 Frank
Total unfairness and victimising the British
My truck generally carried Dangerous Goods and I got more than my fair share of control checks. AS soon as they see it was a Brit truck and with the orange Dangerous goods plates showing, my truck would never pass by without a check
I have even had the French Plods trying to fine me for displaying the orange plates when I was carrying empty tanks. They considered empty was not dangerous. Little did they know that empty fume filled tanks are more dangerous. That time was 2 hours arguing at the side of the road at Vivonne
Obviously, I now have no respect for the Gendarmerie

incidentally, the £90 fines were in the 70s when £90 was a lot of money to me

Last edited:

wildebus

Well, it is just one of the various reasons I dislike France and use the French Roads purely as a mechanism to get to other Countries.
Ref the rogue Gendarme ... I bet he pulled the same trick on lots of truck drivers and not just selecting British ones

grath

Well, it is just one of the various reasons I dislike France and use the French Roads purely as a mechanism to get to other Countries.
Ref the rogue Gendarme ... I bet he pulled the same trick on lots of truck drivers and not just selecting British ones
We have the Santander ferry booked for later this year, partly because of the above