Solar Advice Needed

Bobtaylor

Hi Guys,
We renewed our motorhome back in June this year, and as part of the deal, the dealership fitted a 100w solar panel and controller, not MPPT.
It is a dual battery controller, charging the two leisure batteries, and a separate battery I use for an inverter, I want to keep the inverter battery totally separate.
I now realise the set up is inadequate, letting my leisure batteries run down after recent non use of the motorhome, and obviously lack of sunshine.
I would like to get a Victron MPPT controller, as I’ve read and heard they are bullet proof, and maybe a 200w panel,, but can’t seem to find a Victron controller with dual battery capabilities that is MPPT, as my plan was to link the existing 100w panel to the new 200w panel.
The other alternative would be to leave the existing panel and controller in, 100w, connected to the separate battery ( for inverter) and put in the new system to charge the two leisure batteries...200w.
It also depends on panel sizes being able to fit onto the space on the roof,
just wondering if any of my ideas seem feasible
Pic of existing controller.
Thanks in advance,
Bob.

F38058F2-7F8E-4C10-BC06-4681A7D00941.png

I may wrong but I don't think Victron do a dual battery one. Votronic do but I'm not sure if both batteries get equal charge because I think the second output is designed to "trickle" charge the starter battery but again I could be wrong. I think you're idea of using the existing setup to charge your inverter battery and install a new setup to charge your two leisure batteries is a good idea. I used Votronic on my last van and I use Victron on my current van. nice quality and mainly because I like the bluetooth function.

Regards,
Del

I may wrong but I don't think Victron do a dual battery one. Votronic do but I'm not sure if both batteries get equal charge because I think the second output is designed to "trickle" charge the starter battery but again I could be wrong. I think you're idea of using the existing setup to charge your inverter battery and install a new setup to charge your two leisure batteries is a good idea. I used Votronic on my last van and I use Victron on my current van mainly because I like the bluetooth function.

Regards,
Del
Thank you for the reply alwaysared, I liked the idea of having 300w to quickly charge the two leisure batteries, then once full, charged the inverter battery, as we only use the inverter infrequently,
But as you say, I can’t find a Victron MPPT controller that does dual batteries,
Victron do make a dual battery controller, but not MPPT.
As you state, I think the Bluetooth function is a good idea.

Hi we have set our system up as follows.
Hab.side .300w solar panels 2 x125 ah batteries .
With mppt solar charger .this keeps van good all year round for 12v lights pumps tv.heating..
Second system .which has nothing to do with the hab side
Fitted another set up of solar panels 300w 2x 110 ah connected to a 2000w inverter. This is wired to 240 socket. in kitchen area for kitchen toaster slow cooker .
A 2nd socket for hover and a socket for micro wave .
And usb points for phones and laptop chargeing.

Hi we have set our system up as follows.
Hab.side .300w solar panels 2 x125 ah batteries .
With mppt solar charger .this keeps van good all year round for 12v lights pumps tv.heating..
Second system .which has nothing to do with the hab side
Fitted another set up of solar panels 300w 2x 110 ah connected to a 2000w inverter. This is wired to 240 socket. in kitchen area for kitchen toaster slow cooker .
A 2nd socket for hover and a socket for micro wave .
And usb points for phones and laptop chargeing.
Sounds very similar to what I’ve got set up, but I’ve only one battery for the inverter,135AH because of weight,
and only used for microwave and a coffee maker, unless I win the lottery and buy lithium.

Got to go to work shortly, Boo Hoo.... so won’t be able to acknowledge any more replies till morning,
But also, does anyone recommend any reputable companies to buy the solar kit from,
I bought my inverter from Sun Solar, after recommendation from this site, and could not be happier, expensive but very very good,
But a Victron controller is a Victron controller, and I can get the same model about £50.00 cheaper from Fleebay, and the panels quite a bit cheaper also, but I’m wary of some sellers quality.

There are discount codes for motorhomer.com members at Midsummer Energy and Onboard Energy. Bimble Solar also seem popular.

Regards,
Del

Got to go to work shortly, Boo Hoo.... so won’t be able to acknowledge any more replies till morning,
But also, does anyone recommend any reputable companies to buy the solar kit from,
I bought my inverter from Sun Solar, after recommendation from this site, and could not be happier, expensive but very very good,
But a Victron controller is a Victron controller, and I can get the same model about £50.00 cheaper from Fleebay, and the panels quite a bit cheaper also, but I’m wary of some sellers quality.
I got all my kit from fleabay .had no problem s..

I got all my kit from fleabay .had no problem s..
To be honest, I bought all the kit for our previous motorhome from Fleebay, and as you, didnt have any problems,
But I have heard and read on this forum and others, of bad quality kit that doesn’t work well.
We plan on keeping this motorhome for a long time, so just trying to get the best I can afford, and hopefully it’ll last.
Bob

Last edited:
What is the reason for using a separate battery for the inverter?
Simply that I don’t want to have a flat leisure battery if I used the inverter for any length of time,
I know I could have increased my battery bank, but the existing batteries are a few years old, and adding a new one to it isn’t recommended, also there isn’t room in my battery compartment for another battery anyway.
Just seemed the best logical step to me.

Hi Guys,
We renewed our motorhome back in June this year, and as part of the deal, the dealership fitted a 100w solar panel and controller, not MPPT.
It is a dual battery controller, charging the two leisure batteries, and a separate battery I use for an inverter, I want to keep the inverter battery totally separate.
I now realise the set up is inadequate, letting my leisure batteries run down after recent non use of the motorhome, and obviously lack of sunshine.
I would like to get a Victron MPPT controller, as I’ve read and heard they are bullet proof, and maybe a 200w panel,, but can’t seem to find a Victron controller with dual battery capabilities that is MPPT, as my plan was to link the existing 100w panel to the new 200w panel.
The other alternative would be to leave the existing panel and controller in, 100w, connected to the separate battery ( for inverter) and put in the new system to charge the two leisure batteries...200w.
It also depends on panel sizes being able to fit onto the space on the roof,
just wondering if any of my ideas seem feasible
Pic of existing controller.
Thanks in advance,
Bob.

View attachment 57555
I tried one of these no good for us they didn't charge batteries fully ..

I tried one of these no good for us they didn't charge batteries fully ..
I fitted a 150w panel and cheep controller from eBay, to our previous motorhome and it worked perfectly, only cost about £150 all in.
That charged two leisure batteries, but didn’t have an inverter at the time.
Now we seem to have everything including the kitchen sink, and only want to buy the kit once

Not the same ...
I can understand that the two systems are seperate, am I right in assuming if you use EHU it will only charge the leisure batteries not associated with your inverter ( as you wouldn't need in the inverter when EHU)?

Regards,
Del

I can understand that the two systems are seperate, am I right in assuming if you use EHU it will only charge the leisure batteries not associated with your inverter ( as you wouldn't need in the inverter when EHU)?

Regards,
Del
We very rarely stop on sites, therefore rarely if ever have EHU.
But yes you are right, it would only charge the two leisure batteries, not the cranking battery or the inverter battery, as you say,not needed anyway if on EHU

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back