Solar Controller Query

Wilfee

Hi all.. I’m fairly new to campervanning and I’m on a steep learning curve especially when it comes to power etc.. Hoping somebody can help me with a query I have regarding my solar control panel.. I have attached a photograph to show the make & model.. For info I have just 1 leisure battery which is connected to an Sargent EC155 power unit, the solar panel connects direct to the battery via the solar control panel..

988A9F72-6BB5-4A38-B6D9-16DB0B911B6C.jpeg
I recently upgraded my leisure battery and since re-attaching the leads to the battery the indicator lights on the solar control panel do not appear to be functioning as they should... the solar panel light (the left hand light) should only be on when there is sufficient day light but it is staying on permanently even when I remove the feed from the solar panel as can be seen in the photograph.. the middle light is for monitoring the battery charge and this appears to be functioning ok.. solid green for a good charge and flashing when the battery is full..

I fear I may have caused some damage to the control panel whilst mucking about changing the battery over.. I.. I have removed all leads from solar control panel with hope of resetting it but that doesn’t appear to have worked.. any advice would be very much appreciated..

many thanks for your time..

Wilfee ?

Hi Jeff.. Thanks for the reply

I know that now but not sure I did it in that sequence when I changed the battery over.. To try and reset the system I have disconnected and reconnected the panel in the order you suggest but its just the same..

That picture only has two wired to the solar controller. There surely ought to be four: two from the panel (normally the two on the left) and two to the battery or control panel (normally the ones in the middle). Is there some hidden wiring I can't see? [Later] Ah, I realise you removed two wires to show the problem! As you can get a PWM controller like that for about a fiver, I suggest you replace it. But probably worth paying the extra to get an MPPT one - they cost about £60 but are much better.

Always disconnect the feed from the panel before removing a battery,and mppt control units can be had on ebay from £15 10ah .

Thanks hairydog.. Wasn't aware the controllers were that cheap.! . I'll take a look at the item you suggest... I guess I would need to know the power rating of my solar panel before I purchased a new controller.. I bought the van 2nd hand and there’s no paperwork for the panel so unsure of the rating??.. ??

Thanks hairydog.. Wasn't aware the controllers were that cheap.! . I'll take a look at the item you suggest... I guess I would need to know the power rating of my solar panel before I purchased a new controller.. I bought the van 2nd hand and there’s no paperwork for the panel so unsure of the rating??.. ??
Measure the panel. Assume 18 watts per square metre.
[Later] Oops! Missed 0 error. Make that 180 watts per square metre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone use this type of controller: Photonic Universe 10A MPPT? - any thoughts on it?

I’ve measured the dimensions of my solar panel and it’s 1250 x 670.. after researching on the web it could be anywhere between 120W & 150W.. Would people agree with this and if so any idea what spec charge controller I should be looking at.. I was thinking a Victron Blie Solar 75/10 or a Votronic MPP165.. ???

Is that more likely to be per square foot?
No, square metre. What was wrong was the number, not the unit. 170 to 180 watts per square metre.
Sunlight is about 1kW per square metre. Solar panels are about 17% to 18% efficient. My brain missed a zero when typing.
[Later] On reflection, 180 per square metre is not far off 18 per square foot, but I assumed you'd prefer to measure in metres.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve measured the dimensions of my solar panel and it’s 1250 x 670.. after researching on the web it could be anywhere between 120W & 150W.. Would people agree with this and if so any idea what spec charge controller I should be looking at.. I was thinking a Victron Blie Solar 75/10 or a Votronic MPP165.. ???
150 watts sounds right.
I have a Votronic and it is good.
No experience of Victron, but I get the impression that they are reassuringly expensive - which is probably why I have no experience of them!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back