solar controller

powerplus

solar controller

hi all

just a quick question for you guys

i was thinking of getting a dual controller for 1 of my solar panels so that i could charge both hab and engine batterys

my thoughts are with the engine battery being charged by the controller and the engine being started would it draw to much through the controller

i would have thought not but if the battery is low then it may try and draw through the controller and from the hab battery

your thoughts please

barry

Better to have a battery maintainer. Connects live to both batteries and a common earth. Lets your hookup or solar panel charge both batteries as and when each needs it. The Sterling Power one is a 3amp one. Some others are only 1amp. Its basically a fit and forget auxiliary automatic battery charger, only supplying power when and where needed.

teejay;n10522 said:
Better to have a battery maintainer. Connects live to both batteries and a common earth. Lets your hookup or solar panel charge both batteries as and when each needs it. The Sterling Power one is a 3amp one. Some others are only 1amp. Its basically a fit and forget auxiliary automatic battery charger, only supplying power when and where needed.

That is a stupidly obvious solution, how come I've never seen it before.

In my self build I linked my VB & LBs so they all charged together regardless of source, needed a mahoosive 100amp fuse though.

https://sterling-power.com/products/battery-to-battery-charger-maintainer

Last edited:
I use a Sterling maintainer, does the job without relays; cuts in when LB reaches 13.3v and stops when it drops to 12.8v

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back