Solar panel advice

Steveandjulie

We would like to fit a solar panel to our roof was thinking of the 100 wat kits they sell on eBay would this be enough to keep our 110 amp battery charged whilst running a Halfords 12 volt cool box and also to watch tv in the evening via a inverter whilst wild camping as have no idea when it comes to solar . also would a 500 watt inverter be enough to power a TV DVD combo and charging phones plus would I need a pure sin wave or would a modified version be ok any help would be greatly appreciated regards Steve

I tried a coolbox and it runs away with the leccy, cos it is on all the time.

I don't know about the cool box, but it should be fine for the TV/DVD, water pump, phone etc charging, and lights.

Would suggest using 12v though rather than wasting power upping it to 230v with an inverter then back down again for the TV and phone charging.

No a cool box would kill your battery as would a TV through an inverta ,100 w panel would give about 5 amps mid day clear sun in Summer ,spring Autumn winter much less .you can get compressor coolbox/ fridge that use much less than 12v coolbox but expensive 400 w solar would be more likely to cope .start with 200 w but be prepared to increase .

I don't know about the cool box, but it should be fine for the TV/DVD, water pump, phone etc charging, and lights.

Would suggest using 12v though rather than wasting power upping it to 230v with an inverter then back down again for the TV and phone charging.
Ok thanks does it take longer to charge your phone by 12 volt as always used a inverter in previous vans

No a cool box would kill your battery as would a TV through an inverta ,100 w panel would give about 5 amps mid day clear sun in Summer ,spring Autumn winter much less .you can get compressor coolbox/ fridge that use much less than 12v coolbox but expensive 400 w solar would be more likely to cope .start with 200 w but be prepared to increase .
Thanks for your advice Will have a look at compressor fridges didn't realize a cool box would drain the battery have only ever used it on 240v . there's so much to learn. We have mainly used campsites in the past with hook up. But want to do more wild camping but need to make our van able to cope with no hook up available

Hi I would not think that a single 110AH battery will last very long pouring a TV/DVD + cool box + phone charger + a inverter as the inverter will use quite a lot as it will have a cooling fan that runs all the time. and if you have lights which are not LED and are Halogen which can be 35w each I would be looking at a second battery the 100w solar panel will fully charge battery ok. Have a look at all items that you plan to run they give the wattage that they use add all the wattage and divide by 12 = aps. So say the tv uses 80w / 12 = 6.6aps as a 110ah is only method of calculating the battery size it wont give you 110 ah. If it is a small tv and it is one that has a small box on the mains lead have all look at output voltage and if it is a 12v some 19v but if 12v get a 12v cigarette connector with a fuse do away with the drop box and plug straight into tv doing away with the inverter.

Hi I would not think that a single 110AH battery will last very long pouring a TV/DVD + cool box + phone charger + a inverter as the inverter will use quite a lot as it will have a cooling fan that runs all the time. and if you have lights which are not LED and are Halogen which can be 35w each I would be looking at a second battery the 100w solar panel will fully charge battery ok. Have a look at all items that you plan to run they give the wattage that they use add all the wattage and divide by 12 = aps. So say the tv uses 80w / 12 = 6.6aps as a 110ah is only method of calculating the battery size it wont give you 110 ah. If it is a small tv and it is one that has a small box on the mains lead have all look at output voltage and if it is a 12v some 19v but if 12v get a 12v cigarette connector with a fuse do away with the drop box and plug straight into tv doing away with the inverter.
Thanks for the advice much appreciated

I have a 100W solar panel, 125Ah battery (old), run a compressor coolbox, charge phones, run LED lighting etc but don't watch TV. My panel generates about 15Ah and the coolbox run at 1°C consumes about 12-18Ah in an ambient temperature of 12°C at night and up to about 22°C during the daytime.

Hi I use a solar power pack when away in the van and just leave it connected.

Waterproof-50000mah-Power-Bank-2-USB-Solar-Pack-Battery-Charger-For-Mobile-Phone thumbnail 7

I have a 100W solar panel, 125Ah battery (old), run a compressor coolbox, charge phones, run LED lighting etc but don't watch TV. My panel generates about 15Ah and the coolbox run at 1°C consumes about 12-18Ah in an ambient temperature of 12°C at night and up to about 22°C during the daytime.
Hi thanks for the advice I'm definitely going to change the cool box to a compressor type or even fit a compressor fridge if I can find one which will fit in the cupboard which holds the cool box. Are the solar panels easy to fit ?

Knowing how annoying it can be to run out of lecky I'd suggest it to over-spec your van. Too much juice goes unnoticed, running out doesn't.

As an experiment when at home, perhaps in the early evening switch your consumer unit off and see how long it is before your blood pressure rises :)

Another one saying not a chance with the cool box. Also 12v tv much better than using invert er as you normally watch tv in the dark so no Solar at that time of the day . I do however have a acc socket in the garage of van connected to 12V+ so only live when engine on .When i plug the electric coolbox in that it cools the extra beers whilst traveling.

Another one saying not a chance with the cool box. Also 12v tv much better than using invert er as you normally watch tv in the dark so no Solar at that time of the day . I do however have a acc socket in the garage of van connected to 12V+ so only live when engine on .When i plug the electric coolbox in that it cools the extra beers whilst traveling.
Hi we've been connecting the cool box to 12 volt socket whilst driving and then running it off 240 when on hook up so have never used it off grid but would like to go wild camping more this year so will have to get a compressor type . thanks for your advice

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back