Solar panel test

Wes

I have a 100 watt panel which I am not sure if working ok. Removed panel cables from controller. 15 volts coming to panel from indirect sun..checked with meter set to 10-amp current only getting 0.2 amps. Not sure what can be wrong , if anything... opinions please

Indirect sun if in uk at this time of year can give that. I have seen that from 300W of solar on the roof. Wrong time of year to test maybe?

I have a 100 watt panel which I am not sure if working ok. Removed panel cables from controller. 15 volts coming to panel from indirect sun..checked with meter set to 10-amp current only getting 0.2 amps. Not sure what can be wrong , if anything... opinions please
Just to be sure you have your meter setup correctly. Measure the short circuit current across an disposable AA battery. The current shouldn't be enough to blow the fuse in the meter, but enough to check your settings.

Sounds about right, 19v or more in summer and much more amps, are you running a mppt regulator which will give a 20% or more extra charge.

Sounds about right, 19v or more in summer and much more amps, are you running a mppt regulator which will give a 20% or more extra charge.
Thanks, I am using an mppt controller epever genuine, not chinese copy .
I just thought with 15/16 volts I should be getting more than 0.2 of an amp.. bypassed controller by measuring current across pos + neg of controller still the same .

Solar panels next to useless in winter, no power going in=no power out?.

If it is off the van try tilting it at the sun, you will get MUCH more from it at this time of year especially

I was in the van today at lunch time was getting 5.9 amps from 2x100 watt panel's.

I had a problem with my panels last year were I was getting very little amps and traced it back to an on off switch that was in the solar set up.
I had to switch panels off before I went onto electric hook up, changed the switch and everything went back to normal
Hope this helps 🍌🍌🍌

Checked my 100w potable today pointing at the sun 4.5 amps then the sun went in 300 m amp.

Tilting your panels will make a big difference. Also, any patch of shadow on the panel will really reduce the output.

Tilting your panels will make a big difference. Also, any patch of shadow on the panel will really reduce the output.
Me and Rae have been tilting our panels for over a year now so know how much difference it make .My panels are remote controlled so I can put them at any angle I want .

How about this for an idea? Instead of going to the effort of making tilting panels, mount them vertical. Just fix them to the side of your van.

Your latitude is approximately the max elevation of the sun.

:cool::LOL:

How about this for an idea? Instead of going to the effort of making tilting panels, mount them vertical. Just fix them to the side of your van.

Your latitude is approximately the max elevation of the sun.

:cool::LOL:
The panels where surprisingly cheap to tilt and not a lot of effort .

The panels where surprisingly cheap to tilt and not a lot of effort .
You're correct in what you say. I already have tilting panels and can see the benefits.

My point is that where I live in Dorset the suns max elevation is about 52 degrees (from memory). It rises from ~0* to 52* , if panels were mounted vertically there would be no need to make them tilting. The fact we persist in mounting them horizontally seems a bit pointless unless we intend to live near the equator.

Surely if you live at latitude 45 or further north, mounting them vertical should show an all year round benefit?

You’d be blocking windows and access. Plus an aesthetic eyesore.

Plus not all parking spaces / pitches face East/West
With tilting panels you still need to park with the panels facing the sun, unless they are rotating too, or have panels that can tilt in more than one axis.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back