Solar panel

TissyD

Good morning. I am having problems charging my leisure battery through the solar panel. I am getting a good reading from the panel, around 14 volts, but no output from the controller. It worked okay when it went into the garage last year to have the gearbox rebuilt but has not worked properly since. Those of you that were with us at New Year will know that Jeff took me to fetch a new battery so I know the battery is okay but I just cant get anything from the controller. Because the battery went flat while it was in the garage could the controller have tripped out, if so can it, be reset? It is a Fangpussen 3030

Tried all that thanks without any joy, also tested all the cables etc and got good circuits. Ive got a feelng it may need a new controller.

Check your solar panel it should read About 20 v open circuit in full sunshine . consider buying a cheap controller from eBay to try and keep for a spare . yes they are cheap and nasty but work surprisingly well .

Check your solar panel it should read About 20 v open circuit in full sunshine . consider buying a cheap controller from eBay to try and keep for a spare . yes they are cheap and nasty but work surprisingly well .
It was reading 14 n-15 volts when I tested it but it wasn't the brightest day. I had one of the cheap chinese controller and binned it to be honest> could have charged quicker with a rubber band on my bike.

1 x 150 watt.
just wondering as you want a 30A controller. A 150W controller would need no bigger than a 15A tops (unless you are adding another panel later on?).
If it is PWM one you want, I'd just get the cheapest 20A one.

I am just going by the one we were sold in the first place 4 years ago at Lincoln show. I may add another panel later on.

I am just going by the one we were sold in the first place 4 years ago at Lincoln show. I may add another panel later on.
OK, if you are planning on getting kit suitable enhancements, forget getting a PWM Controller and just get a proper MPPT one instead.

That 150W panel you have will operate like a 100W panel with a PWM controller - you are already throwing away 50W worth of potential energy. Get another panel the same and using that PWM controller, you are throwing away up to 100W of potential energy. The cost of a THIRD 150W panel to make up the wasted 100W energy (remember you will need a 3rd 150W to get back the discarded 100W due to fitting a PWM Controller) will cost more than the difference between a PWM and an MPPT controller.

Can't an MPT controller only be used on Lion batteries or can it be used on normal GEL or acid etc.

Sorry - posted without spotting your update.
My suggestion would be Votronic MPPT 165w controller.
But first check panel voltage in good sun - should be getting on for 20v.
At 14v input to controller I don't think you'd expect much output.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back