Solar panels

TissyD

Solar panels

I have a 150w solar panel fitted and the charge unit only has 1 output. Can I fit a splitter in the system so I can charge my engine battery as well as the leisure battery. Alarm system drains the main battery over time unless I go and run the engine every week to keep it topped up through the winter.

It would probably be easier just to change your controller to a duel output one

I use one of these, dead simple to fit and it just keeps the engine batt topped up. There are other makes and prices.

jeffmossy;n34334 said:
It would probably be easier just to change your controller to a duel output one

I had thought of doing that but I was looking for a cheap way around it.
Just found I can get a dual controller for less than £8 so that looks like the next job.

Last edited:
TissyD;n34349 said:
Just found I can get a dual controller for less than £8 so that looks like the next job.

Can you post a link to that controller please? I'm looking at getting the neccessary stuff together to install solar very soon.

Regards,
Del

TissyD;n34349 said:

If it is a solar controller with dual charging for less than £8 then I suggest that avoid it.

This used to crop up frequently on other forums. The cheapest method of topping up your engine battery via the leisure battery from solar without a B2B style fitting was this,

http://www.motts.org/BRIDGING FUSE.htm

Clive Mott is regarded as an experienced motorhomers with an extensive knowledge base on various topics. You can search his method on various forums but I doubt if you will find fault with it. Some people regard it with suspicion and prefer to spend on a professional item.

An an option for you to consider perhaps.

Davy

Admin;n34366 said:
If it is a solar controller with dual charging for less than £8 then I suggest that avoid it.

I have since read the details more closely and it does not charge 2 batteries. The dual part is 2 outputs one for the battery charging and one to supply a nightlight etc. which is just the same as my present one does. I have now sorced another one the same as I have and putting 2 chargers on instead.

Ive used a Battery Master available from Van Bitz and others for the past 11 years and does exactly what you want with no fuss

It depends on your van but if you have an Elektroblock unit you only need one output as the EBL splits it for you. No help if you don’t have one though sorry

nabsim;n34527 said:
It depends on your van but if you have an Elektroblock unit you only need one output as the EBL splits it for you. No help if you don’t have one though sorry

Probably a bit too new for our van. It is so old there are still hitch points to put the shafts on for the carthorse.

TeamRienza;n34373 said:
This used to crop up frequently on other forums. The cheapest method of topping up your engine battery via the leisure battery from solar without a B2B style fitting was this,

http://www.motts.org/BRIDGING FUSE.htm

Clive Mott is regarded as an experienced motorhomers with an extensive knowledge base on various topics. You can search his method on various forums but I doubt if you will find fault with it. Some people regard it with suspicion and prefer to spend on a professional item.

An an option for you to consider perhaps.

Davy

I have used clives method for about 10 years on various vans but I add in a LED switch and an extra fuse under the bonnet.

As for the controller it is false economy to fit a cheap one, this is why I always buy my own kit, and spend on average about £200 pervan for 100w of solar and GOOD quality MPT controller to get the best charge possible, it's also worth going for 200ah or more if you have the space, money and weight allowance.

I always get this particular controller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25A-300W...352324?hash=item1e69575e44:g:f8gAAOSwJslbKyev the seller is contactable and most helpful if you get stuck. Recommended to me by Listerdiesel.

This is cheap at £25 on ebay, has worked well in 4 years on my van.

Attachments

• kemo 174 reg .jpg
    kemo 174 reg .jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 3
Works well compared to what? Do you have any output figures?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back