Solution for shabby and faded black plastic bumpers and body mouldings

Red Dwarf

I came across a product that really works for faded black plastic bumpers and mouldings. Have used it on a couple of vehicles and it does what it says on the box and lasts!

‘Forever Black’, I bought a kit from eBay for about £15. Trick is to make certain that the areas to be treated are really clean.

An excellent product. I used it for several years on my previous van, a transit with a large black bumper. It is a dye and as red dwarf said you need to remove any previous silicon. They used to supply a removing fluid, I assume they still do. After 1 coat it looks good, but after 2 you can really see a depth of sheen and it lasts. I used to get better than 6 months between top ups. Expensive but a little goes a long way. They provide a sponge applicator, but I used to use a paintbrush. Any slip onto a body part can usually be removed easily provided you do so at time of application.

My current van has no black bumper, but I use foreverblack tyre gel. Same principle. I paint it on the sidewalls and it protects against uv degradation as I believe it contains inhibitors. Not as long lasting as the bumper stuff, hardly surprising considering the abuse tyres get. I top mine up every 6 to 8 weeks.

These links for illustration, I have bought from various outlets.

Davy

Sorry for coming late to this thread.

I have used this before on cars, with great results...

It isn't a cheaper solution but if anyone has small areas that don't get back to the colour they want, this is worth a try.

I only mentioned it as I have personally used it and it works.

I came across a product that really works for faded black plastic bumpers and mouldings. Have used it on a couple of vehicles and it does what it says on the box and lasts!

‘Forever Black’, I bought a kit from eBay for about £15. Trick is to make certain that the areas to be treated are really clean.
I used cherry blossom scuff type shoe polish £1 from wilko, it did a reasonably good job and it has lasted well

A hot air paint stripper works too, just don't hover on the same part too long, not sure if a hair dryer might work as well.

Or paint them body colour.

Yeah but dogs chase you

Reactions: GMJ

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back