Spain - new quarantine imposed

GMJ

Hi folks

No doubt you will have read that new quarantine regs have been introduced for people coming back from mainland Spain due a spike in the CV cases over there.

It got me thinking and I wanted to ask you folks what your view was of travelling/planning to travel there over the next 6 months or so?

We normally go to Spain in January for a couple of months and by now I would have it all planned/booked however so far this year I have not booked anything. Are you still planning to travel? Would you go ahead now and book places/ferry/tunnel and put down deposits?

Thanks

Graham

Be prepared to isolate upon your return not so easy if you are still working....above all travelling is still a volatile activity as yesterday proved. A second wave here is a certainty from what I can see

Foreign travel anywhere in the next few months comes with not only the risk of contracting the virus but the risk of being unable to return home or quarantine. Latest from France, which also may require quarantine on return soon.

It's the 'catching' bit that worries me most...

ive booked ferry for January and campsites are booked from last time we were there so no deposits required.
I can always move the ferry.
I dont think the infection rate is any worse than the uk, Leicester, Luton etc. your in your own little bubble anyway.
The FCO travel advice has to say its ok though as that will govern wether your insured and without the ehic card next year that will be really crucial to any decision

ive booked ferry for January and campsites are booked from last time we were there so no deposits required.
I can always move the ferry.
I dont think the infection rate is any worse than the uk, Leicester, Luton etc. your in your own little bubble anyway.
The FCO travel advice has to say its ok though as that will govern wether your insured and without the ehic card next year that will be really crucial to any decision

The infection rate in Spain is 27 per hundred thousand as opposed to 7 per hundred thousand in UK. Link
There are some towns in UK with higher rates Link, but this is the case in many parts of Europe.
It is expected that as situations change further sudden quarantines will occur. At least here in UK quarantine is permitted at home so far, in many places it is in hotels at port of entry at the traveller’s expense.

I hate to have to say this but I would give Spain a miss this year many small towns and villages are reporting cases of this vires how. they hope to control this vires when you look how packed the beaches and now is nearly the Spanish holidays.

I wouldnt go anywhere in Europe this year, whether early in the new year is a prudent time to travel, we shall see.
However everyone needs to read up on risk assesment and work out what risk mitigation you can do to make it reasonably risk free, We have just come out of lockdown where the transmission rate was comparable to what spain is now and we survived, most of us anyway, my exwife didnt so I'm well aware of risks.
I'm of the view that I would much rather be confined to a campsite during winter in 20C+ temps than 5C in the uk.

I wouldnt go anywhere in Europe this year, whether early in the new year is a prudent time to travel, we shall see.
However everyone needs to read up on risk assesment and work out what risk mitigation you can do to make it reasonably risk free, We have just come out of lockdown where the transmission rate was comparable to what spain is now and we survived, most of us anyway, my exwife didnt so I'm well aware of risks.
I'm of the view that I would much rather be confined to a campsite during winter in 20C+ temps than 5C in the uk.
Not sure what you are saying Peter.
Sorry to hear about your ex-wife, but are you advocating wintering in the foreign, or staying firmly at home?

Not sure what you are saying Peter.
Sorry to hear about your ex-wife, but are you advocating wintering in the foreign, or staying firmly at home?
Sorry that was a little ambiguous, need to use more commas! I'm planning on wintering in Spain at the moment but I will decide for definite in January.
A few things have to line up, firstly FCO advice says its ok to travel as that covers the health insurance and secondly that the infection rate will hopefully be lower than here, oh and that the campsites are open to visitors.

The infection rate in Spain is 27 per hundred thousand as opposed to 7 per hundred thousand in UK. Link
The infection rate in Spain is not 27 per hundred thousand. It is 683.3 per hundred thousand
The infection rate in the UK is not 7 per hundred thousand. It is 440.9 per hundred thousand.
The death rate in Spain is 60.8 per hundred thousand.
The death rate in the UK is 67.4 per hundred thousand.
Link

The infection rate in Spain is not 27 per hundred thousand. It is 683.3 per hundred thousand
The infection rate in the UK is not 7 per hundred thousand. It is 440.9 per hundred thousand.
The death rate in Spain is 60.8 per hundred thousand.
The death rate in the UK is 67.4 per hundred thousand.
Link

Please check the links in post #14 in This thread as the statistics change very quickly.

Unless someone jumps in quickly, this is post #15

Very strange, you are correct and I simply don’t understand why I saw more posts.
In post #6 I am referring to the current infection rates, more relevant than cumulative rates when considering such things as lockdowns and quarantines.

Very strange, you are correct and I simply don’t understand why I saw more posts.
In post #6 I am referring to the current infection rates, more relevant than cumulative rates when considering such things as lockdowns and quarantines.
The source you quote in post #6 very specifically says it is giving cumulative infection figures. Not the current rate, which is not a realistic measure (neither Spain nor the UK:use it for that reason).
Thoir figures are out by more than an order of magnitude. The source is completely wrong: they have either made a massive error in the maths or they have misdescribed what they are reporting.
Neither is your fault, unless you stick to your erroneous understanding based on faulty data.

It got me thinking and I wanted to ask you folks what your view was of travelling/planning to travel there over the next 6 months or so?
For the last 10 yrs we've been lucky enough to be able to spend 3 mths in Spain an Portugal Dec to March last year we came home early and have been no where since and have No intention of going any where this year. If we where lucky enough to avoid the Virus what enjoyment is there with all the restrictions that are in place and possibility to worsen like the campsite that was locked down in Spain last week.
Not even safe Here

Last edited:
The source you quote in post #6 very specifically says it is giving cumulative infection figures. Not the current rate, which is not a realistic measure (neither Spain nor the UK:use it for that reason).
Thoir figures are out by more than an order of magnitude. The source is completely wrong: they have either made a massive error in the maths or they have misdescribed what they are reporting.
Neither is your fault, unless you stick to your erroneous understanding based on faulty data.

In the article it is possible to misinterpret the meaning of cumulative incidence. The cumulative merely refers to smoothing out the figures over a few days, otherwise if it meant total infections the lowest could not have occured in June after several months of daily infections. I think that the figures given are correct given their meaning.
Incidentally, here are the latest rates in Europe.

Sorry, but that's twaddle. Cumulative has a specific meaning. It does not mean "averaged".
You can try to excuse that source as much as you like (why?), but you won't change the fact that it is just plain wrong.

Reactions: Bri

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back