Spain or Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 5467
  • Start date

Deleted member 5467

We are planning a trip to either Spain or Italy in June. Been to France a few times which we love, been to Spain last year which we loved because the people were lovely as was the weather. This year will be our first time without kids so we can tour & wild camp.
We have a 6m long van with a fiamma pullout awning. Our ferry is booked but we have read you are not allowed to use your awning table & chairs outside your van in Spain as wild camping is illegal.

Italy looks to be colder and possibly not very van friendly, but not sure.

Wanted anyone’s take on which might be better option. Don’t fancy being moved on all the time or having parking issues?

Anyone been to both? we like historical pretty places rather than commercial resorts.

We are planning a trip to either Spain or Italy in June. Been to France a few times which we love, been to Spain last year which we loved because the people were lovely as was the weather. This year will be our first time without kids so we can tour & wild camp.
We have a 6m long van with a fiamma pullout awning. Our ferry is booked but we have read you are not allowed to use your awning table & chairs outside your van in Spain as wild camping is illegal.

Italy looks to be colder and possibly not very van friendly, but not sure.

Wanted anyone’s take on which might be better option. Don’t fancy being moved on all the time or having parking issues?

Anyone been to both? we like historical pretty places rather than commercial resorts.

You won’t get much more historical than Italy.
Amazing old walled towns completely intact.
Lovely scenery as well as ice creams to die for!!!
Dreadful road surfaces evening some of the motorways.
sostas relatively few and far between but we loved it for first time last year.

You won’t get much more historical than Italy.
Amazing old walled towns completely intact.
Lovely scenery as well as ice creams to die for!!!
Dreadful road surfaces evening some of the motorways.
sostas relatively few and far between but we loved it for first time last year.
Thank you for replying, Would you say June time it will be busy cus I loved thought of Italy but driving a van & getting parked up just looked so stressful. France is really geared up, spain we stayed on a couple of sites but wanted to go and explore more this time.

Never been to Spain so no camparison.
But for culture surely Italy !
This was our trip...

Maybe a bit too far So my changes would be

1 More time in the Pisa/Florence region and yes visit Vinci (Leonardo'd birthplace)
2 Do not go too far south ( but see no 3 next)
3 Do go to the wonderful "museum at Lattina (south of Rome near Anzio)
4 Rome ! (we have been before)

Lots of villages with churches
Our route back via Austria was great

Last edited:
Agree .. italy. We went for a month and stayed 6!

And you can (could) stay for free at the museum in Latina ... fascinating ... can spend all day. one of our fave surprising finds.

in Italy, you can wild camp and the locals are pretty chilled. Usual rules ... arrive before dark and have a plan B and C. Some of the sostas are a bit decrepit, but ok for a night.

To add a little balance, I prefer Spain.

Yes, parts of Italy are lovely and the people a delight, but the standard of driving is appalling. Just look at the dents on almost everyone's car!

I intended to drive the back roads and follow the coast, but due to intense congestion I gave up and travelled by motorway. Once you are over half way down, the roads become quieter again, but the standard of driving in towns is every bit as bad.

Sostas vary hugely and are occasionally tricky to find using the Sosta guidebook, which, although brand new was clearly well out of date.

For me, I probably won't return.

Last edited:
To add a little balance, I prefer Spain.

Yes, parts of Italy are lovely and the people a delight, but the standard of driving is appalling. Just look at the dents on almost everyone's car!

Quality of road surfaces were more an issue that standard of driving in my experience, or perhaps we avoided the hot spots.
Found Florence mega busy and wouldn’t return but Verona & Siena beautiful!!😀😀
And Modena Ferrari & Lamborghini factories/museums intoxicating!😀😀
I intended to drive the back roads and follow the coast, but due to intense congestion I gave up and travelled by motorway. Once you are over half way down, the roads become quieter again, but the standard of driving in towns is every bit as bad.

Sostas vary hugely and are occasionally tricky to find using the Sosta guidebook, which, although brand new was clearly well out of date.

For me, I probably won't return.

In Spain at the moment. Spent a little time in Italy last May. I would opt for Italy in June. Yes the driving and roads leave much to be desired but it is a facinating country.
One point if you have refilleable gas some places with LPG pumps will not fill M/Hs.

Italy every time! Done three “long” trips now over last 15 months.
First trip through northern Italy taking in the lakes and mountains and wine!
Beautiful cities, Alba, Verona, Mantua, Moderna etc. etc.
Even ventured into Turin and Milan!
Trip two took in the whole of Chiantishire and again more wine.
Third adventure took us right down to the “heel” of Italy into the wonderful Primativo wine producing area, bit of a theme here maybe?
Roads much of a muchness whether in Italy, France or Spain I find and you must remember that the majority of drivers in Italy are Italian! Expect a few “mad” moments, all part of the adventure.
We always go Eurotunnel and Mont Blanc tunnel seems quickest route.
Also do France and Spain but always Italy given the choice.
Wherever you go enjoy!

Third adventure took us right down to the “heel” of Italy into the wonderful Primativo wine producing area, bit of a theme here maybe?
Roads much of a muchness whether in Italy, France or Spain I find and you must remember that the majority of drivers in Italy are Italian! Expect a few “mad” moments, all part of the adventure.
Wher

Wherever you go enjoy!
Thank you for your reply, due to coronavirus outbreak think we will leave Italy for this summer but intend to visit maybe out of season. Did you go in a camper or car? How was camping & parking , we know we would love Italy just not sure if we would love trying to get camped up or even parked to visit major tourist attractions.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back