Spain roadtrip

• Thread starter Deleted member 5467
  • Start date

Deleted member 5467

Anybody driven from Santander port to Cadiz or Tarifa. We are trying to decide how long it will take without thrashing the van or more importantly if the roads are good as we know Spain is very mountainous.

We have driven in Spain before but not this side. Any suggestions of a stop over along the way would help too

Anybody driven from Santander port to Cadiz or Tarifa. We are trying to decide how long it will take without thrashing the van or more importantly if the roads are good as we know Spain is very mountainous.

We have driven in Spain before but not this side. Any suggestions of a stop over along the way would help too
Just check Google maps for routes .
Spanish roads are best , in my driving experience , in Europe .
Huge number of options for stopping en route

It depends on what month you are going to travel. January and Feb can be a bit iffy as cab get 20 days of snow in Los Picos. March is usually beautiful. Easy driving. Basically one road all the way down. Beautiful scenery. No traffic. Heaven.

We hate motorways, although they offer a safe transit from the cold north, across a snow-laden mesata, to the warm south in Winter.

We have done Bilbao-Marbella 6 times, going different routes each time.

1) (Jan): Burgos, Madrid, Jaen (hotel); Granada, Marbella.
2) (Apr - Palm Sunday very interesting): Malaga, Cordoba, Merida, Cacares, Trujilo (hotel); Montfrague National Park (worthwhile), Plasencia, Salamanca, Leon, Ovido (super drive through tunnels in Picos)
3) (Apr):Donestia, Pamplona, Zaragoza (friend); Teruel, Valencia, Denia (hotel); Alicante, Murcia, Guadix (troglodytes), Granada, Malaga
4) (July): Osuna, Ecija, Hornachuelos, Almaden (hotel); Talavera de la Reina, Avila, Valladolid (hotel); Aguilar de Campoo, Torrelavega.
All done by car, as you might guess from the hotels. Number 4 was through rural Spain for much of the way: no problems. My favourite viewpoint is between T de la R and Avila, at La Parada del Arriero.

5) (Apr): Logrono, Soria, Medinaceli (hill top aire); Almadrones, Quenca (lovely views overlooking city BUT obey all traffic lights!), Castillo de Garcimunoz (quiet aire by castle); La Roda, Albecete, Chinchilla ce Monte Aragon (excellent aire); Hellin, Murcia (excellent aire at IKEA with trams into city).
We then pootled around the coast.
6) (Apr): Torre del Mar, Ventas de Zafarraya (wonderful climb), Alhama de Granada, Montefrio (excellent climb, lovely church, bloody awful streets), Priego de Cordoba (OK aire, free ehu); Cordoba, Penarroya-Pueblonuevo (didn't fancy road to aire), Orellana la Vieja (quiet aire beside sports hall, view over fields); Oropesa (can't remember the route); Avila (past "our" viewpoint again), Coca (fabulous castle), Cuellar (fiesta so roads blocked and aire full of cars), Penafiel (only campsite on our trip; narrow castle overlooking interesting town square used as bullring); Torquemada (aire by church); Castrojeriz, Herrara de Pisuerga (Canal de Castilla: smelly but impressive, not for boats!), Aguilar de Campoo (care with low bridge near aire; alternative aire near lake), Cabarceno (the obligatory aire by the zoo for anyone travelling via Santander); Noja (wonderful spiky rocks in the sea), Lanestosa (didn't like entrance to aire), Espinosa De Los Monteros (quiet aire by river); Bilbao.

Nothing caused us any problems (apart from the little things mentioned) although there were a couple of "off tarmac" adventures but they just add to the excitement of foreign travel.

Obviously me answers don't provide routes directly to SW Spain but they can be taken into account, I hope.
Seville is an interesting city but we needed a satnav to get back to our hotel on foot AND definitely to drive through in a car.
Cadiz is another interesting place but my wife was very upset by the number of feral cats. Walking is the only way to get around in the old centre.
Tarifa is one of the windiest places in Europe, so a mecca for windsurfers.
Barbate has an anchor graveyard: interesting!
I found Cape Trafalgar boring.

Gordon
It depends when you go and what you enjoy. Have a good trip.

What time does the ferry dock? Then allow an hour or more to-get on the road. That’ll give you an idea how far you might get on first day. How many miles or rather how many hours do you want to drive? What is your cruising speed?

My trip to Spain in March from the Scottish Borders, solo, using motorways where possible and towing a trailer and including stops for coffee (and to wake up) I averaged 40mph in UK and Spain.

As a serial overplanner, I’d suggest you stop stressing about the journey, and simply enjoy it.
My first trip into Portugal was done solo, started off , as squeaky bum time. It ended as an adventure.

Oddly, I’m now considered an experienced traveler. If only they knew 🫣

As mentioned before - just go for it! If you want to stop on sites I find ‘Searchforsites’ a good app but mostly rely on Park4Night. Our last trip was a similar start to yours. No motorways, across to the west side of the Picos then pretty much due south. It took two weeks to hit the south coast but that’s our way of meandering. Enjoy it!

Have any of you considered parking your motorhome at an airport carpark in Spain and flying down there two or three times a year.
I park my car there for 250 euros a year (a motorhome will be a bit dearer). Subject to Schengen restrictions of course.

Have any of you considered parking your motorhome at an airport carpark in Spain and flying down there two or three times a year.
I park my car there for 250 euros a year (a motorhome will be a bit dearer). Subject to Schengen restrictions of course.
No

Hello there Young Smith,s ,,
I travel via Santander thru to Southern Spain every January in the Motorhome- ( Booked on boat 20th Jan 2023 ) ,,, i plan a route using the Aires booklet & usually cover 400mls on day one as the boat docks at 8.00am but that purely depends on the weather , ,,, Dont set any goals & go with the flow 👍

Do you subscribe to ACSI? Not only will it give you some significant cost savings on sites but can also help you plan your trip/routes etc.

I use to as a starting point to plan our trips as we also go to Spain every January for 2 months.

On other forums too unfortunately.

Hi GMJ,,,
I see ACSI will soon be releasing their 2023 membership cards which i will buy ,,,, i know the route i am traveling this year via Zarragoza & Valencia to Benidorm & have already pre-programmed my satnav with the proposed Aire stayovers 👍 ,,,

Hi GMJ,,,
I see ACSI will soon be releasing their 2023 membership cards which i will buy ,,,, i know the route i am traveling this year via Zarragoza & Valencia to Benidorm & have already pre-programmed my satnav with the proposed Aire stayovers 👍 ,,,
I'm so glad I'm not the only one already programming the sat nav for 2023.
The spreadsheet will tell me where, when and how.........................I know it's a strange nickname for the other half;)

Casually chatting to our neighbour on a site and asked where they were headed.
I don't know he said........we'll just set off and see where it takes us.....................I was horrifiedo_O ..........(and a bit jealous)

The spreadsheet will tell me where, when and how.........................I know it's a strange nickname for the other half;)

I don't know he said........we'll just set off and see where it takes us.....................I was horrifiedo_O ..........(and a bit jealous)
We started off with a detailed plan in early March and abandoned it by instalments. For the 3 months trip in May, we had a start point and nothing more developed than ' start in Eastern France and loop back round into the Loire in late August',because we didn't even bother choosing a return mode of crossing, much less a date. Quite liberating!

Steve

Hi GMJ,,,

I'm off next week. Not sure which port I'm leaving from .
Will definitely disembark in France

Well Webby,
I have often been descibed as ANAL 🤣🤣,,, i must nip into the kitchen to check the labels on my tins are all facing the same way ,,, 😲
I suffer from constipation; does that make me anally retentive? :rolleyes:

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back