Spain with a dog.

sydnsue

We are off to the Pyrenees and Spain in September. I have read online that dogs are not permitted on public transport. Is this correct? We wanted to visit the sights of Barcelona and Madrid but not sure how to do that if we can't take the dog with us. We would obviously prefer to keep the motorhome outside of the cities as I imagine parking a motorhome would be problematic.

We are off to the Pyrenees and Spain in September. I have read online that dogs are not permitted on public transport. Is this correct? We wanted to visit the sights of Barcelona and Madrid but not sure how to do that if we can't take the dog with us. We would obviously prefer to keep the motorhome outside of the cities as I imagine parking a motorhome would be problematic.
Unfortunately almost certainly yes . Spain is getting better about dogs but you just have to work your way round restrictions .
Check park 4 night and search for sites . There are limited and expensive places . Probably worth it , fabulous cities

Yes that is correct, they allow small dogs in a carry case and that is it, you could try just playing the dumb foreigner and take the dog onto a train as we have done many times no body is bothered, but if you encounter an inspector you will be thrown off like we were in Alicante with our Sheltie.

Yes that is correct, they allow small dogs in a carry case and that is it, you could try just playing the dumb foreigner and take the dog onto a train as we have done many times no body is bothered, but if you encounter an inspector you will be thrown off like we were in Alicante with our Sheltie.
Or be able to get to your destination because nobody challenged you, but not be able to get back again.

If you were prepared to change your plans, dogs are allowed on trains (not sure about buses) in Portugal provided they are muzzled and you have their AHC or passport.

On that note, if you want information about getting pet passports while you are there, let me know.

Thanks everyone. Barcelona seems to be the main problem for us. I can find only 2 car parks that accept motorhomes in the whole of the city. The only other option is a campsite west of the city. Estrella. Still a problem getting into the city. We are hoping in September the temperature will be low enough for us to leave the dog in the van. With the vents open, it gets to about 24 which seems to be the average outside temp for that time of year. We ahve done that around France, Germany, etc and it was fine. Just needs to be secure.

I think we stayed at a site once called Camping Barcelona that had a shuttle bus into the city. I don't know whether they still do, or whether they allow dogs on it, but you could ask - it's in the ACSI book (2209), email is info@campingbarcelona.com

Or be able to get to your destination because nobody challenged you, but not be able to get back again.

If you were prepared to change your plans, dogs are allowed on trains (not sure about buses) in Portugal provided they are muzzled and you have their AHC or passport.

On that note, if you want information about getting pet passports while you are there, let me know.
Not allowed on buses there either, we’ve just been😫

Thanks but we use Passpets which cost £99 minus 10% for repeats. Thought about getting an EU passport but we don't necessarily go to Europe every year which would be a problem with booster jabs.

Thanks everyone. Barcelona seems to be the main problem for us. I can find only 2 car parks that accept motorhomes in the whole of the city. The only other option is a campsite west of the city. Estrella. Still a problem getting into the city. We are hoping in September the temperature will be low enough for us to leave the dog in the van. With the vents open, it gets to about 24 which seems to be the average outside temp for that time of year. We ahve done that around France, Germany, etc and it was fine. Just needs to be secure.
Be aware of the Barcelona ZBE (Low Emissions Zone). See https://parclick.com/parking/driving-in-the-low-emissions-zone-zbe and scroll down.

Thanks everyone for your advice. It seems the only way to get into Barcelona with a dog is to drive in. Park4night shows several parking areas but none are secure so it will be a case of removing all valuables if possible, which is difficult as a photographer. I don't fancy carrying a drone and camera kit around the city.

Thanks everyone for your advice. It seems the only way to get into Barcelona with a dog is to drive in. Park4night shows several parking areas but none are secure so it will be a case of removing all valuables if possible, which is difficult as a photographer. I don't fancy carrying a drone and camera kit around the city.
There does appear to be one on park4 , Passatge d'Ayma . Secure , 40euros but reasonably central . Recent reviews pretty good

Looked it up. 45 euros (ouch) but could be worth it for piece of mind. Thanks.
I sometimes[often] moan about paying [anything] for parking up . On reflection I often have to concede the costs were reasonable .
I think in this case , given the difficulties , 45euros is not a bad deal .
I did get parked overnight just off the Eixample in Barcelona many years ago . Pure luck .
Think I'll check this place later in the year

We have a dog and for Barcelona we stayed at "area camper Barcelona beach" on campercontact 20 mins to train then about 7 stops straight into Barcelona it was a great plan

We have a dog and for Barcelona we stayed at "area camper Barcelona beach" on campercontact 20 mins to train then about 7 stops straight into Barcelona it was a great plan
What did you do with your dog? I hear they are not allowed on public transport.

Be careful in Barcelona, our van was broken into parked right opposite a good grade hotel, a few years ago.
I think a Uber taxi some of which take dogs, I think. Would be the best bet.

Back