Spare specs?

I didn't know that either and I was there last year... luckily always got spares in the van though. I went out for a walk today with my grandbabes and realised I'd forgotten to take any glasses with me. Thank goodness you can make it up as you go along with little ones when they ask what something says! 😊

we also carried 2 red triangles and 2 hi viz jackets . common sense again ,but could also be a requirement

we also carried 2 red triangles and 2 hi viz jackets . common sense again ,but could also be a requirement
Those are also legal requirements along with spare bulbs (not in UK though!) but knew about them anyway.

We always took a spare pair each. since a breakdown in France on our first European tour we have always taken 2 red triangles, i think you’re only required to take one but 1hi viz for each passenger.

I thought having spare glass had been in a few years ..
Probably has, but had not realised, things like spare bulbs should be a requirement in Uk, maybe there would be fewer cars driving round with one headlamp...But it would need enforcing! And actually, some bulbs on modern vehicles are so hard to get at, couldn't change them on the road! Had a fiat punto ( or maybe a Ford fiesta...) which had to be put on a ramp when needed to fit a new indicator bulb...the garage fitting new tyres took longer to do it than the tyres. But they didn't charge me, those were the days!

Probably has, but had not realised, things like spare bulbs should be a requirement in Uk, maybe there would be fewer cars driving round with one headlamp...But it would need enforcing! And actually, some bulbs on modern vehicles are so hard to get at, couldn't change them on the road! Had a fiat punto ( or maybe a Ford fiesta...) which had to be put on a ramp when needed to fit a new indicator bulb...the garage fitting new tyres took longer to do it than the tyres. But they didn't charge me, those were the days!
I thought the spare bulbs was for all eu country's ..

I thought that the requirement for carrying spare glasses is also the law in Spain and has been for a few years now.

How does this work in practice though? Let's say you break your glasses and are using your 'spare' pair but now, of course, you don't have a spare pair. If you lose your glasses or leave them behind in a cafe, say, and are now using the spare, how do you prove that you originally had two pairs?
Surely there's provision in the laws to cover such circumstances.

Yes the provision is called going to the option to buy/order another pair because if you are that dozy ( I’m using a nice word here) to leave them behind in a cafe and you need them to drive how can you be sure you are not going to do that again with the only pair you now have left and then how are you going to drive

if you carry a spare pair then you've done all you can reasonably be expected to do . the alternative is mad , that you would carry an infinite number of spare pairs .

if you carry a spare pair then you've done all you can reasonably be expected to do . the alternative is mad , that you would carry an infinite number of spare pairs .
Totally agree. I was being somewhat tongue in cheek with my post.

Reactions: Rec
I thought the spare bulbs was for all eu country's ..
No, in some they are a recommendation, some legal and you can be fined if not carried. In UK not even an official recommendation as far as I can see! Carry them anyway but, same as hi vis jackets, warning triangles not a legal requirement in UK.
Always see Hi Vis jackets at the side of main roads here and wonder why there are so many?

Yes the provision is called going to the option to buy/order another pair because if you are that dozy ( I’m using a nice word here) to leave them behind in a cafe and you need them to drive how can you be sure you are not going to do that again with the only pair you now have left and then how are you going to drive
You can buy them in filling stations can’t you or for £6 if u believe TV ads!!!!

You can get really cheap prescription glasses for countless spares from Glasses Direct. If you stick to the basics, you can get 2 pairs for £19 when they have specials... Money Saving Expert site always flags up the specials. If you don't have to wear glasses all the time, it's so easy to lose them or for them to always be in the wrong room. I've got one pair of 'expensive' prescription glasses and the rest come from GD, which means I can keep a couple of pairs in the van, one in the bedroom, one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen, etc. These days, I often need a magnifying glass too, especially for the tiny instructions on packaging 😭😭😭

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back