Speed cameras M1 & M25

I have a cunning plan so as to not get caught by theses very naughty cameras .................. drive within the relevant speed limit (y)
Yes , if we all try to keep to 70mph everywhere , eventually these cameras will be uneconomical to run.
Wouldn't it also be great to make all the mobile speed camera vans redundant ?

I suspect most motorhomes are capable of breaking a 30mph limit let alone a 70mph one....

Point I'm making is as soon as you start pointing fingers....
Be wary on where they look next....
All those none essential miles we drive....

I'm not actually pointing fingers at motorists.

I am suggesting that the powers that be are paying lip service. The technology is there to stop cars speeding, they just won't implement it because it would be unpopular and would cost the car manufacturers a fortune.

Also, with pollution, I soon won't be able to burn logs in my logburner, but it will be fine to drive a 6 litre Jagametti up and down all day outside the local nursery!

I'm not actually pointing fingers at motorists.

I am suggesting that the powers that be are paying lip service. The technology is there to stop cars speeding, they just won't implement it because it would be unpopular and would cost the car manufacturers a fortune.

Also, with pollution, I soon won't be able to burn logs in my logburner, but it will be fine to drive a 6 litre Jagametti up and down all day outside the local nursery!

Is that a euro 6 log burner though? ;)

Has anyone actually seen a NIP for less than the speed limit +10% + 2mph i.e 79mph in a 70mph, 68mph in 60 etc?
I strongly advise anyone getting a NIP for a speed of less than 10% over the limit to opt for a day in court. Magistrates are very unlikely to pass a guilty verdict unless there are other factors to take into account.
As a magistrate, I can tell you that we would find you guilty. We may ask the police prosecuter about the validity of bringing the case. Would probably not allow prosecution costs.

As a magistrate, I can tell you that we would find you guilty. We may ask the police prosecuter about the validity of bringing the case. Would probably not allow prosecution costs.
What is the normal type of response to the request for validity? Is it common to have cases in court where the evidence shows less than the 10% + 2mph? At what threshold would you consider the evidence to be beyond reasonable doubt?

What is the normal type of response to the request for validity? Is it common to have cases in court where the evidence shows less than the 10% + 2mph? At what threshold would you consider the evidence to be beyond reasonable doubt?
Speedometer's in this country are set to read below the actual speed, so that manufacturers can not be taken to court by customers. So really 2 - 3 miles per hour over limit would convict. Although I personally would admonish the police for wasting court time. But the law is the law and we swear to uphold it. But i have been told in open court, from an officer from the central ticket agency. That if they enforced 70 on M25, they could not cope with the volume of work. They could in theory automatically print the initial ticket, but when they receive the "who was the driver response" that has to be physically looked at and typed into the computer.

I was on the naughty chair, 45 mph in a 40, and elected to go on a speed awareness course; we were informed they are safety, not speed cameras! The myth the cameras are only in areas likely to collect the most money was well discussed; we were informed that cameras are only in areas where there have been deaths- which unfortunately is just about everywhere. Yes they collect money but only because the limits are exceeded. I use a speed camera app to avoid another ticket.

A guy at my wife's works got a letter last week for doing 73 on the m60 he did a speed awareness course 2 year ago so will have to take points this time

A guy at my wife's works got a letter last week for doing 73 on the m60 he did a speed awareness course 2 year ago so will have to take points this time

As you know, you are only allowed 1 speed awareness course within 3 years.

Last time I got nicked, I was invited on the course but I informed them that I had been on one the year before. They said, not to worry about it and just attend the course. This was my 3rd such course so I make sure I stick below the speed limit now.

My sister in law attended a course and got nicked 200 yards from the venue immediately after the course had finished!

I was on the naughty chair, 45 mph in a 40, and elected to go on a speed awareness course; we were informed they are safety, not speed cameras! The myth the cameras are only in areas likely to collect the most money was well discussed; we were informed that cameras are only in areas where there have been deaths- which unfortunately is just about everywhere. Yes they collect money but only because the limits are exceeded. I use a speed camera app to avoid another ticket.

Does this indicate that the courses are ineffective?

On mine they took questions before they started and so I raised an issue regarding the filthy state of road signs in East Sussex. Many here are covered in muck, tucked into overgrown shrubbery, and tricky to see.

A blank expression from the two organisers, they said the course would answer it, but unsurprisingly it didn't. They steer the course from an undeviating fixed agenda.

Still, I saved the three points - So well worthwhile. :)

All very interesting read. I have noticed over the past 10 or so years traffic seems to be slower on motorways. We traveled just after Christmas down to Weston - S _ Mare from Norwich late afternoon on a Friday in my Nissan X Trail. A11, M11, M25, M4 and M5. Road were incredibly busy with A11 and M11 traveling about 65 - 70. M25 was full but still averaging 55 - 60 and people slowing down for each gantry..............however when we got onto the M4 people were going crazy with the scariest being lane swapping near Slough and overtaking on wrong side...................I sat about 60 and traffic was going past me well in excess of that; I'd say most around 80 - 90 all looking like dare I say it 'Rep Mobiles' - you can often tell they are the basic cars (Audi, BMW, VW etc) all filthy with simply number plate cleaned. Get well past Reading and all settled down again. My X Trail has brand new 18" tyres on it and I know the speedo reads over by about 3 - 4 mph which surprised me so setting cruise at 70 will never get me a ticket in 70 limit. Although it has a superb Sat Nav built in the maps are 2 years old so often I use Waze or Sygic on my phone and you can view your speed on these. When I'm travelling at 70 they both show 66 - 67 as GPS speed but not sure if folk realise they normally read 2 mph lower than speed as you are always trying to catch up with satellites. A leading manufacturer confirmed this to me so when Sat Nav is reading 70 you may well actually be doing 72mph!!! My VW T5 on the other hand with it's newish all season tyres actually reads exactly 68 GPS when speedo says 70!

That's interesting as we have a high end Android unit in our T5 and use Sygic as the Sat Nav with antennae just above where rear view mirror could be to get best view of the sky (it is really accurate). On that you can see the speed you are traveling and local speed limits and you can set your own alarms (yes I know I may be saying what's already been said) and I set the speed limit alarm as 1 mph lower than the local speed limit i.e. in 40 it would be 39, 50 it would be 49 and 70 would be 69 it would warn me. I have noticed that when doing 40 - 41 on the speedo the local speed of 40 is flashing red so I do need to be careful and cannot believe it is so accurate - yes wheel and tyre sizes are correct. Anyone else got such an accurate speedo??

But was the variable speed limit on ? Most of the speeding prosecuted cases in court, are people going over the variable speed limits on "Smart Motorways" If the speed is reduced to say 50mph on a section of smart motorway, you can not go over that speed until you see another speed sign, raising the limit. If you go under a gantry showing 50 and the next two are off. You can still be done, until you see another sign showing the "now" speed limit.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back