Sprinter ‘dead key’ intermittent starting fix.

Red Dwarf

My 2007 Sprinter recently suffered from an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes it would start, other times times nothing! The dash lights come on, the electronic steering lock disengages and nothing, the starter doesn’t kick in.
The problem went from once every now and then, to hardly starting at all.

Here’s my take on finding the fault, there are numerous possibilities!

Firstly check to see if the glow plug light comes on when you turn the ignition on. Remember this might be only momentarily. If it doesn’t come on, it’s most likely the glow plug relay. If the relay isn’t working correctly it’ll make the ECU isolate the starting circuit. This relay is inside the cab on the left above the fuse box, you need to remove the left hand dash panel (easy peasy, just one screw!). The relay might look okay from the outside, inside there could be a chemical garden growing over the copper contacts. A genuine Merc Hella relay is under £20.

Assuming the heater plug/ glow plug light is coming on, next check the starter relay which is in the same location as above. Again, it can be badly corroded internally.

I’d suggest changing all the relays if one appears to be faulty. (It was suggested to me that MHs suffer more from relay problems because of high moisture levels and/or spending long periods not being used).

Next, check the engine to body earth strap. On my van it’s a short strap between the near side engine mount and the chassis leg. Take it off, throw it away and fit a new one ( an original Merc strap is only a few quid)). Be sure to take a wire brush to the mating services on the engine mount and the chassis leg before fitting a new strap.

Still got a problem? Check the connections on the starter motor and check the starter solenoid. On my van the starter is on the near side and needs to be accessed from underneath. There are two types of starter, so if you’re replacing the solenoid, you’ll need to know which it is. I’ve been told there are some cheapish new starter motors around that appear to work well.

The infamous Y cable! This is the cable between the battery, starter and alternator. There’s a hidden fuse along this cable that isn’t accessible unless you remove the cable. The fuse stays good, the connections to it corrode. A new Merc cable is around £65, you could make one up if you wanted, though you’d need the old one off for a pattern and some brackets. There’s a general thought among Sprinter owners that this cable should be replaced every eight or ten years or so.

The above should cover dead key non starting problems.

Of course there are other possible starting Issues. The above should help sort out the intermittent problem of the engine not turning over. Give me a shout if you want any advice! Hope this helps!

Red.

I have the same on a Fiat Ducato. Its only 2 years old. Everything works fine but occasionally you put the key in and turn it and nothing happens. All the lights on the dash come on it just doesn't start. Leave if for an hour and try and away it goes. Tried a new starter motor and that hasn't worked. Have fitted a fused lead from the starter motor power to the solonoid through a 16A push button. Last time it stopped was in the enterance to a campsite. SWMBO sits in the drivers seat and turns the key all the way and I pushed the button under the bonnet and hey presto it started. It has Stop Start fitted and it has not failed to start. It's been to the Fiat Commercial Centre and no fault codes. We are away in Wales at the moment and it's behaving.

Perhaps worth trying a new starter relay? An intermittently faulty relay won’t necessarily produce a fault code. It was a case of elimination getting to the fault on my van.

I had the same / similar problem, the sprinter click on my 2007 Winnebago View (sprinter underneath). Changed whole fuse / relay board which did no good. Then my sprinter guy changed the starter motor and haven't had a problem since. He said it was the starter motor all along!

I had the same / similar problem, the sprinter click on my 2007 Winnebago View (sprinter underneath). Changed whole fuse / relay board which did no good. Then my sprinter guy changed the starter motor and haven't had a problem since. He said it was the starter motor all along!
When I started on the job of trying to find the fault I became aware of the no start ‘click’ issue. The problem with my van didn’t include the ‘click’, nothing whatsoever.
I listed the items to check more or less in an order of financial burden, check the cheap possibilities first! I’ve heard that some sprinter owners carry a spare starter motor!
Good you got your van fixed, the more info the better hopefully will help others.

Hello Red Dwarf,
My 2008 converted Sprinter had exactly the same problem 4 years ago. We limped across Europe, starting and stopping all the way. In Germany, home of Mercedes, they said it needed a new ignition switch. It was changed and yes, it worked....! Well we thought it was now OK until the same problem occurred 100 miles later.
So we visited another German Mercedes dealer who could find no problem. Of course, sods law, it started every time. Oh yes, at the end of the day when we collected the van, the front windscreen was cracked. They said it wasn't them and gave some feeble excuse saying the extreme heat in the car park had caused it. What a load of twoddle!
They couldn't and we couldn't prove anything so, once again, we limped away and had the windscreen fixed. The start/stop problem continued until we got back to the UK. What a pain!
We finally took it to a Mercedes dealer in the north who traced the problem back to the relay (inside on left hand side). An excellent mechanic found a corroded, green relay contact. Locating the correct contact was difficult but he managed it and we have never looked back since.
So it took a UK mechanic to diagnose and fix a German Mercedes - fantastic. However, we were out of pocket so I wrote to Mercedes UK head office who gave us a partial refund which did not cover our costs.
You can draw your own conclusions re. German/English mechanics from my story.
Best of luck!
David

Newbie on this site, but not to Motorhomes or indeed R-V`s. Currently I have this issue on my Sprinter based Rapido 999M, having had to call the RAC to a campsite Monday, the RAC guy managed to get it away, it was in fact a blown fuse, probably as result of repeated attempts to start. So spent this morning gaining access to the relay. Checked it out and it seems to be operating OK. But as the cost was a fraction of that of a Replacement Starter Motor, (£16-20 inc VAT) I opted to swap it out to see if it makes the difference. Tomorow will tell. Replacement Starters range in price from £400+ (Mercedes dealer O/E) down to £90 on E-bay. Fitting looks straightforward enough, just bloody uncomfortable on your back in limited space. As I am well past the "first flush of youth" :( I may yet give the job to my local MOT guy who has a 4 post lift capable of taking the Rapido.

Pete

I have the same on a Fiat Ducato. Its only 2 years old. Everything works fine but occasionally you put the key in and turn it and nothing happens. All the lights on the dash come on it just doesn't start. Leave if for an hour and try and away it goes. Tried a new starter motor and that hasn't worked. Have fitted a fused lead from the starter motor power to the solonoid through a 16A push button. Last time it stopped was in the enterance to a campsite. SWMBO sits in the drivers seat and turns the key all the way and I pushed the button under the bonnet and hey presto it started. It has Stop Start fitted and it has not failed to start. It's been to the Fiat Commercial Centre and no fault codes. We are away in Wales at the moment and it's behaving.
Hi

When I had my X250 (07). I found the Fiat Forum, was a good place to start? This Is also a useful Site:- https://www.google.com/search?clien...AmcQgIoDKAB6BAgMEBE&biw=1293&bih=734&dpr=1.25

Pete

Update on my earlier post, re Starter issues. I swapped out the Relay and it appeared to behave for a week or so then missed a few first time starts. So to-day, it had a new Starter fitted £270 all done. Remains to be seen iF that has solved the issue?.

Pete

Update on my earlier post, re Starter issues. I swapped out the Relay and it appeared to behave for a week or so then missed a few first time starts. So to-day, it had a new Starter fitted £270 all done. Remains to be seen iF that has solved the issue?.

Pete
Hope the fix worked Pete. If you have continued problems, try the heater plug relay.

Well, Local Garage has diesel @ 1.62/l. (Allegedly cheapest in the counry?) So fired up this morning from cold, instant first time start, same from the S/S. Now got a full tank so less Space to encourage Moisture, (y) Could be a a Month or more before we get put again.

R-D, puzzled by your reference to the Heater plug though?.

Pete

Well, Local Garage has diesel @ 1.62/l. (Allegedly cheapest in the counry?) So fired up this morning from cold, instant first time start, same from the S/S. Now got a full tank so less Space to encourage Moisture, (y) Could be a a Month or more before we get put again.

R-D, puzzled by your reference to the Heater plug though?.

Pete
The heater plug relay, if faulty will immobilise the starter circuit. After many fixes, this was the culprit on my van. Worth keeping an eye on other known issues such as earth cable and starter ‘Y’ cable.
Good you’ve got your van sorted, time to enjoy!

The heater plug relay, if faulty will immobilise the starter circuit. After many fixes, this was the culprit on my van. Worth keeping an eye on other known issues such as earth cable and starter ‘Y’ cable.
Good you’ve got your van sorted, time to enjoy!
Is that the Eberspacher heater for pre warming the Engine?. OR the glowplug(s). Got a couple of more Hospital visits in the pipeline yet before we (hopefully) get let loose long term again. I try where possible to take it out even if just for a run to the coast, fish and chips, and back!.

Pete

The relay for the glow plugs. It’s one of the two grey relays above the fuse box behind the left side dash. The relay in my van ‘looked’ fine until you opened it up, solid corrosion on the contacts. See the pic earlier in the thread.

Have a good Christmas!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back