Squealing Fiat Ducato 2.3 litre

Have you read *****'s latest post as to where he is with his ' squealing noise'.
The only time I have had problems on my X290 is the next morning after driving through heavy rain the day before. I am fairly sure that this is due to scuttle water ingress which falls onto the alternator serpentine belt and tensioners. I appear to have sorted it and have had no repeats in 6 months. A bit of a disappointment that I had to sort it out after previously making three X250 scuttles watertight. Things appears different to this thread where the squeal is apparently much more regular even in dry conditions. I confidently predict that Fiat will not recall X290 vehicles for scuttle modifications but could possibly do something to individual ones if owners complain.

Latest info is that Fiat now say it is not the scuttle.
New tension bearing will be fitted today
I wait with interest as to what happens next. Tension bearing was mentioned by one of the garages that we were at but nothing was followed through about it.

Well, I went to collect our van yesterday after a new alternator, alternator belt and tensioner with bearing have all been renewed, the latest was the tension bearing and the reports were that the squeal has now gone!
This meaning the squeal was the tension bearing.
To be absolutely sure I need the van home for a few days, as the dealer tested it on the morning after and on the odd occasion it might not have squeezed after just one day.
Anyway obviously sh!t happened!
I started to drive up the exit drive which has a slight incline and the hill assist light came on and would not go out, so back to the workshop we go.
A few tests later, the conclusion was, that the removal of the sub frame had altered the tracking and the van needs to be re tracked. This will be rectified today, so again fingers crossed.
Although we have had issues, I must say, that Travelworld, the new Erwin Hymer Centre have given me an impression of professionalism and i have full confidence that they will sort this out!
I await again for your next report! Hopefully things will be sorted for you. We still have to make arrangements for our van go back in. Arrangements are complicated as I am to have knee replacement done on Wednesday. Hey hoy, onwards and upwards. We have until the end of August to get sorted under warranty.

Oh well, phone call says our van has had extensive testing and now ready for collection. In the morning !
Please, if you don't mind, let us know how you get on. Hopefully the squeal will remain silent! As I wrote previously the tension bearingxwas mentioned by the 2nd garage our van was in but nothing was done.

Well, I have her home now, and first impressions, all good. Van was spotless and has been well looked after for the 3 1/2 weeks that Travelworld had had her.
I spoke to the Guy who did the job and the Guy who moved her this morning and both reported no squeal.
I will test her in the morning, so watch this space!
New Alternator, New Belt and last the New Tensioner and Bearing. It seems to be the last one which was the issue
Thank you for the update. Hope the squeal continues to remain silent.

Well, started up today and all OK, No Squeal!
Looking Good!

First impressions, Travelworld at the new Erwin Hymer Centre have done the job that a previous old established Fiat Dealer failed to do
It's great to read that someone can praise a dealer. Hope that the silence continues.

Thank you for all your updates. Very much appreciated. Will let you know how we get on.

Not doubting your explanation, but the mind boggles as the saying goes.
I guess the days of being able to maintain your own vehicle with the necessary knowledge and decent mechanics (not fitters) tools is passing us by.

I fully understand the need for progress, but can such complexity really be needed?

Is there a mechanic out there that may be able to identify what is making the squealing noise coming from our van when we start up and it continues for a short period of time. If you stop and start again the squealing noise will start again. The van is still under warranty. The van has been in a Fiat Professional garage three times now to no avail. It has had the timing belt tightened and a new alternator fitted - none of which stopped the squealing. The garage even recorded the noise and sent the recording to Fiat but Fiat couldn't help.

The Fiat is our sole vehicle and professional Fiat garages are a fair distance away, which causes a great deal of inconvenience and expense so any thoughts would be much appreciated. We only have six months of warranty left. Some of you may have heard us leaving The Green Frog!
Hi happens on my 2006 dethleffs also, I believe it to be moisture on the alternator belt. After a few minutes of Idleing it goes away,not causing any problems.
Roger.

I am frightened to write this in case I tempt providence! The scuttle was cleaned out - it was full of pine needles and a few leaves. The squeal gradually got less over a few days until it stopped altogether. This is day six of the van being started without a squeal being made. The warning triangle still comes on on some journeys but not others. There's no indication of what the warning triangle doesn't like.

Maybe not much help but why would anybody buy a Fiat based motorhome ? Ford or Mercedes are a far better choice !

Luckily everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Through the 40 odd years of motorhome ownership and use I've had, Ford, Talbot, Fiat and Mercedes, my current van is 3 litre Mercedes Sprinter based A class.
From my point of view with regard to base vehicle the Fiat is by far the best and the best one I've owned was a 3 litre X250.

Yes of course they have their faults but so does everything, and what suits or pleases one person does not the other.

I worked most of my life on cars and a ford will never go in past my gate posts,toyota were fantastic though things have moved on and just about any one can make cars/vans these days.

Still no squeal. There has not been any rain here but the van has been washed and the squeal did not return. The warning triangle still comes on on some occasions - no idea why.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back