Squirrels are eating my nuts!!

maingate

Don't worry Terry, this year there is a bumper crop of Hazelnuts ... there is round here anyway. I normally leave them for the vermin (Grey Squirrels) to eat but there are so many, I am having a few.

Leave some on the ground though Terry. The fallen ones I pick up and I have seen signs of small animals (Mice I presume) that have been at them. They chew their way into the nut case and then eat the nut. My dogs have also learned that they are tasty and I have to fight them off to get at the windfalls first. :(

runnach

Don't worry Terry, this year there is a bumper crop of Hazelnuts ... there is round here anyway. I normally leave them for the vermin (Grey Squirrels) to eat but there are so many, I am having a few.

Leave some on the ground though Terry. The fallen ones I pick up and I have seen signs of small animals (Mice I presume) that have been at them. They chew their way into the nut case and then eat the nut. My dogs have also learned that they are tasty and I have to fight them off to get at the windfalls first. :(
First sensible reply, thank you Jim. ??

Topmast

It’s woodpeckers we have a problem with the little b......s peck holes in every one of my almonds then move on to peaches and the other fruit .Bit of a shame but don’t seem able to grow hazelnuts here.I purchased a small windmill with blades about eighteen inches long that you erect on a long pole near your fruit trees as the wind spins it there are two small chains that revolve and clatter on a bell, this works until the wind drops then back come the birds,

Wully

Terry I’ve been plagued by the little fakers get some vasalene or grease mix in a tub of pepper or better hot chilli sauce and smear it on the area that you won’t to keep them away from. But don’t put directly on your nuts

runnach

Terry I’ve been plagued by the little fakers get some vasalene or grease mix in a tub of pepper or better hot chilli sauce and smear it on the area that you won’t to keep them away from. But don’t put directly on your nuts
Those masochistic days are over, Wullie. o_O

Barge1914

Our dog always used to chew it’s nuts!