Starling Bank

Lee

Rally Organiser

Has anyone used Starling Bank abroad.
Is it as they say you aren't charged for transactions when using the card abroad?

Correct, although if you are thinking of the euro zone, then open one of their linked euro accounts. They charge 40p per £100 to transfer from the sterling to the euro account. The exchange rate is close to the MasterCard exchange rate. I load when the rates are good. The card can be utilised in the same fashion as a prepay debit card. Then when in France etc payments are deducted in euros. There is still a tendency for some ATMs to offer to count the withdrawal in £ at their thieving rate. Just choose euros.

Davy

Even for Uk l Iike starling.
Yes post no 2 explains what is best fpr euroland.
But still good for other currencies and as suggested always opt for the local currency.

I also use it for transferring funds to our Thai bank. This being as cheap as most fx traders but also simpler and clearer. With both a minor fee is also charged in Thailand.

I'm still getting good service from Nationwide and Halifax Clarity.
For how long, though ?

Reactions: Lee
Lee stick your money in a bag a very big bag send it to me and I’ll invest it for you in no time I guarantee you’ll have_ ( NOTHING )_ to worry about I’ll invest in whiskey for you. And I’ll only take 100% commission how good a deal is that.

• Funny
Reactions: Lee
Lee stick your money in a bag a very big bag send it to me and I’ll invest it for you in no time I guarantee you’ll have_ ( NOTHING )_ to worry about I’ll invest in whiskey for you. And I’ll only take 100% commission how good a deal is that.

That's the problem when investing in Glenmorangie you have first the angels share and then you have your mates shate, then all you're left with is an empty bottle and happy memories. 😆🤣😀😎

Another vote here in favour of Starling. We use it as a Travel Account, love the way the card can be turned off, rendering it useless to anyone who steals it. Always get an email every time the account is used, no matter which country you are in, telling you how much you have just spent in local currency and Sterling as well, which ensures the merchant is not able to swipe your card more than once. Love Starling!

Ditto, not had starling long but it has much to recommend it. Even got technophobe husband logging on and using it! So very useable app too.

If you go to an ATM abroad Lee, it will ask you if you would like a guaranteed rate of exchange, always select NO. It will ask you again, before your money is issued, and again select No.
On average, you will get about 20 euros more than if you had accepted their rate of exchange, assuming that you withdraw something itro £200 cash withdrawal.

Yep. We switched to it when heading over to Turkey as free to use worldwide. We're with metro which is just Europe.
Have set up a € account with them too through the app ... much cheaper for transfers to my Greek and other Euro payments.
Exchange rate was a few cent better than transferase last time I looked.
Never had it refused for payments or an ATM.
Only criticism is the app is not laid out like other banks so takes a bit of getting used to.
Now use it as main bank... sto and do etc.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back