Stonehenge Better Understood

Us too, Okta,

I've been an irritating father throughout my life, taking our boys to places they might never have visited without some from of incentive. The "Golden Rule" for the happiest places was whether it had furniture. If it did, they had to be restrained, and if it didn't they had fun.

Here's a photo of my wife and our eldest son in 1977 at West Kennet Long Barrow. He's now 44 years old, and she's................ errr........not changed bit:

Attachments

• Wiltshire_West Kennet Long Barrow_Yvonne & Andrew_September 1977.jpg
    Wiltshire_West Kennet Long Barrow_Yvonne & Andrew_September 1977.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
To balance things a little, here's our youngest son in 1989 visiting the Antonine Wall in 1989. He's now married with a son and daughter of his own.

Attachments

• Scotland_Falkirk_Watling Lodge_Antonine Wall_Summer 1989.jpeg
    Scotland_Falkirk_Watling Lodge_Antonine Wall_Summer 1989.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 12
Callanish is on my bucket list.

I remember walking amongst the Stonehenge sarsens many years ago, fascinated by the axe marking first recognised by photogrammetry. Many years later I took two overseas colleagues, and over the years, the atmosphere had been lost.

Carnac seems to have retained it's atmosphere, and it's vast.

So I think you are right, in the UK, there are far too many tourists crammed into a small site. I'll certainly watch the programme, especially as it includes Alice Roberts. 😍
It was good to see Photogrammetry mentioned a couple of times. As an ex Chief Photogrammetrist (I'm an ex everything these days) it was a real treat to see that the skills I learned and passed on are still good today.

Thank you very much indeed Colin. I'd possibly have missed the programme without a heads up

That's another pint I owe you.

:oops:

Last edited:
The proposed major road works on the A303 adjacent to the ancient site has been batted to and fro over recent years. Leave has now been granted for a High Court hearing to decide whether a review should be granted of the works approved last year by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps against the recommendation of planning officials.

Colin :):):)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back