Stoves cooker, gas cut-off and lid

robjh

Stoves cooker, gas cut-off and lid

We have a Stoves 500 DIT cooker which has a fold-down glass lid, which operates a gas cut-off as the lid comes down, and opens the gas supply again when the lid is raised. Well, it should open the gas supply again, but recently it has stopped doing so automatically when the lid is opened.
There is some kind of valve under the right-hand hinge of the lid. I can get the gas open by wiggling the lid from side-to-side after I open it, so the valve is still there, but no longer connected properly to the lid mechanism.
Pictures below of (1) the whole cooker to show what sort it is, and (2) the lid, as it joins the cooker. The valve is below the surface somewhere on the right rear, and should be operated by the right hand hinge.

The question : Is it possible to take off the lid and other parts of the hob to get at the valve mechanism, without taking the whole cooker out? I've undone all the screws I can find on the top but nothing moves (no parts move, and the cooker itself doesn't move).

Thanks for any ideas
Rob

Attachments

• photo2145.jpg
    photo2145.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • photo2146.jpg
    photo2146.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Just boosting this as I'd like an answer if anyone has one, since Rob is my other half and this is our van!

Lesley

i had the same problem with my autotrail instead of taking it apart i sprayed wd40 at it and it released it

Not much help forthcoming for you on here unfortunately. Have you tried googling the cookers make and model for a manual online? Everything that's put together comes apart but sometimes there are unseen components to release before others are 'getatable'- the lubrication theme mentioned is definitely worth a try! I wouldn't use wd40 as its not that good in most instances-you need a penetrating/ freeing oil spray to have a reasonable chance. There is one called Plus Gas-commonly available online that may help. Be careful though, as with all things like that, they are flammable so use sparingly. Do you have a motorhome/caravan dealership anywhere near you? Perhaps you could call in there and speak with one of the mechanics-try to go straight for them and avoid salesmen/women and other staff. As for looking for a spot to aim your fluid-perhaps a mirror and torch shone under the grill area might help see where the offending part is located! Good luck and let us know the results of your efforts. It may help another member in future.

Unfortunately, we've done the spraying with Plus Gas. I think we have to book it in with a professional now.

teejay;n26479 said:
Not much help forthcoming for you on here unfortunately. Have you tried googling the cookers make and model for a manual online? Everything that's put together comes apart but sometimes there are unseen components to release before others are 'getatable'- the lubrication theme mentioned is definitely worth a try! I wouldn't use wd40 as its not that good in most instances-you need a penetrating/ freeing oil spray to have a reasonable chance. There is one called Plus Gas-commonly available online that may help. Be careful though, as with all things like that, they are flammable so use sparingly. Do you have a motorhome/caravan dealership anywhere near you? Perhaps you could call in there and speak with one of the mechanics-try to go straight for them and avoid salesmen/women and other staff. As for looking for a spot to aim your fluid-perhaps a mirror and torch shone under the grill area might help see where the offending part is located! Good luck and let us know the results of your efforts. It may help another member in future.

I've got the manufacturer's explosion diagram, and am fairly sure of the parts that I'll be looking for if I can get in there, but I reckon I would need to get to the sides and maybe the back, which means getting the cooker out of its place among the other fitted kitchen stuff. At the moment I can't even work out how it's held in place, so have no hope of taking any more of it apart.

Try looking in the spaces either side of the cooker. If there are drawers there that should be easy. It could be attached to wood or similar separating material. Does the cooker have a bottom cupboard area at floor level? if so, could be attached to floor with brackets or similar. maybe a good close up look at the diagram will point you to fixing points will be. I understand these cookers are still in production-can you contact the manufacturer or one of its outlets for further help and information?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back