Summer Holidays

Dino

Hi everybody. im thinking of Orkney and Shetland for my summer hols. mid June to mid July.
I'm hoping some of you have already been and done it and can pass on some valuable experiences (good and bad) for my planning.
TIA

Dean

Hi everybody. im thinking of Orkney and Shetland for my summer hols. mid June to mid July.
I'm hoping some of you have already been and done it and can pass on some valuable experiences (good and bad) for my planning.
TIA

Dean
A few of us have already done it twice as a meet and are going again in June have a look in the meets section it’s a fabulous place 👍

If you’re around then don’t miss the Shetland Car Show on 6th-7th June. It’s definitely worth a couple of ferries to visit Unst, makes the mainland seem like a metropolis! Susie and I met there in 1981. The boat trip to Mousa Broch is well worth doing. If it’s foggy it’s worth a trip up to the radio masts on the mainland where often you find yourself above it. Plenty of puffins to be seen by the lighthouse at the Southern tip of the mainland, with historic remains there too, along with arriving aircraft sometimes on a very interesting approach. Certainly great islands to visit.

Gills Bay ( John O'Groats ) Ferry is cheaper and quicker to Orkney.

Don't miss the Tomb of Eagles and Italian Chapel. So many lovely places to visit on Orkney. Enjoy.

The Orkney meet is full I think but you may still be able to take advantage of Merv’s deal from Scrabster to Stromness. Have a look on the meets section.

Cheers

H

We took the ferry from Aberdeen to Shetland. We travelled up to the very north island Unst via Yell. If you pay for the ferry to Yell and go straight on to Unst the same day, that leg us free. The return ferries are also free. So it only cost us around £20 to get to the most northerly part of the British Isles from the main island. There are a few sites on the islands but wild camping is no issue. Make sure you stock up at Tesco in Lerwick on route as shops are few and far between. We then caught the ferry back to Orkney, then back to Scotland. It cost us around £485 for the ferry return trip including overnight cabin to Shetland. We spent around two weeks on the islands and needed it!

Reactions: 2cv

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back