Sweden & Norway 2019

jagmanx

Over 3 months is better for such trips.
The latest Brexit delay means we will (Or maybe should) be OK for this summer.
  • So...from mid-May......
  • Calais to Malmo (Puttgarden Ferry and the Oresund Bridge) 8 to 10 Days
  • Sweden 5 or 6 weeks to Kiruna
  • Norway 6 or 7 weeks south from Narvik avoiding the E6 when we can. Choosing coastal routes to Bergen
  • Finally Telemark and south of Oslo to Malmo and retrace our route to Calais
So nearly 4 months in all.
Images and details in due course..

PS Nida still has to make a "meaningful vote" on my "indicative" routes :unsure:

Last edited:
The "Meaningful Vote" is good and the indicative routes will be fine as they are all less than 300 miles a week some less than 200.
We are not using long ferries, which we both do not like.
Calais to Malmo is 700 miles so 6 days @ 120 miles per day plus 5 rest days
Or 7 days @ 100 miles per day and 3 rest days or ????

When I get brave enough to go I would love to visit the places you intend to go. Would love to know if you plan on pre booking campsites or just going to drive up or wild camp?

Envy? Moi? You bet your sweet bippy *

* Rowan & Martins Laugh In. Late 60’s

Hi Jenrai...We have never booked any campsites abroad
(except Paris Bois de Boulougne 1 week at Easter 2011)
We mainly use spots from the Dutch site (Almost Kamper Kontact)
Trips as follows
Czech republic 2012 ( 2 weeks)
France 2013 (1 month)
To Romania 2014 (2 months)
France 2015 (1 month)
Scandy 2016 (over 3 months)
Scotland and ROI 2017 ( 1 month each)
Italy 2018 (3 months)

Yes we have had the odd "dodgy night" eg 2 or 3 last summer in Italy, and 2 others I would avoid because of traffic noise.
But we also found a few delightful sites and many other very good ones !

Norway is Good with many cheap or free "sites".
Sweden even better and with more dedicated (motorhome) service areas.
We do use the odd campsite and these will be simple sites.

We did a similar trip in 2016 and only once did we have to squeeze in as the area was almost full
so in Norway (40 days) just 1 "expensive site" and half a dozen "medium price" the rest being free.....
Sweden just 1 "Farm-site" (30 days)

I have the Co-ords of all our "stopovers" and we will re-visit quite used on our 2016 trip
However our route is rather different this time (no Nordkapp or Finland and transit Denmark in 1 day).

Yes food and alcohol pricey but compensated by the great camping

I have earmarked/bookmarked loads of KK sites as potential places including 1 in Stockholm

When I get brave enough to go I would love to visit the places you intend to go. Would love to know if you plan on pre booking campsites or just going to drive up or wild camp?

We went for 6 weeks in 2012 and the only place we booked was the ferry. We had a rough idea where were heading but there seemed to be plenty of campsites around and lots of opportunity for wilding.

Thank you both for your replies, really helpful information. Do you think September would be a good month to visit Sweden/Norway as I read you can see the northern lights then?

We went June/July and it was great weather. Could perhaps be some snow further North in September. We found this book really helpful -
Motoring in Norway by Erling Welle-Strand. Still available if you google it.

A bit cold and some camping facilities closed
Remember 21 Sept = equinox.
Probably do-able

We did 6 months via Poland, Estonia etc. Lovely. We got a magic box for the Norwegian tolls - it was painless. https://www.autopass.no/en/autopass has the info. It was provided from https://brobizz.com/en. The coast between Gothenburg and Oslo was the surprise treat. Swedish youth has a passion for burning rubber round small towns and in car parks. Check how many black marks there are before you decide to stop overnight! We got caught a couple of times. No trouble, just very noisy and looking for a reaction...
Mostly wild camping and sunsets better than anywhere.
Northern lights? Good luck - the predictions do help but they are worse than the weather forecast! http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/

We're just about to go to Norway via Hook of Holland, Germany, Puttgarden and Copenhagen to Oslo. We've never travelled North before so are a bit worried about whether we can take any food in our van. We normally have stocked cupboards and a full fridge which we top up as we travel around but I'm not sure we'll be allowed to do this when we travel to Norway. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Crossed into Norway a couple of times in the last few years never had a problem with food taken into the country. Not all all crossings going into Norway are manned, other crossings if manned are more likely to check commercial traffic. We have crossed the border in a couple of places in the north of Sweden, the only way you would know is the country signs.

Hi. We hope to set off in the middle of June -- Calais up to Grenaa in Denmark and ferry to Varberg in Sweden, through Sweden into Finland and up to Kirkeness then back round by the Lofoten islands through Norway back to Varberg, the ferry and back home, 3 months in total, will be interesred to follow your posts. (y)
Look for --- "Norway in your pocket" its a small book from the tourist office and has plenty of good tips and information regarding food, motorway tolls etc. etc.
Enjoy your trip
Regards Ken:cool:

Hi. We hope to set off in the middle of June -- Calais up to Grenaa in Denmark and ferry to Varberg in Sweden, through Sweden into Finland and up to Kirkeness then back round by the Lofoten islands through Norway back to Varberg, the ferry and back home, 3 months in total, will be interesred to follow your posts. (y)
Look for --- "Norway in your pocket" its a small book from the tourist office and has plenty of good tips and information regarding food, motorway tolls etc. etc.
Enjoy your trip
Does the Grenaa - Varberg ferry compare on price to taking the two bridges route?

Enjoy your trip
“Norway in your pocket” is also downloadable from the The Visit Norway site.

Hi

We’re off to Norway too mid-May for three months. We’ll wave if we see your W. Going to concentrate on SW and stay south of Trondheim to avoid spending too much of our time driving.

Anyone had any problems taking booze into Norway, we usually stock up with wine boxes in France before embarking on our travels?

We're just about to go to Norway via Hook of Holland, Germany, Puttgarden and Copenhagen to Oslo. We've never travelled North before so are a bit worried about whether we can take any food in our van. We normally have stocked cupboards and a full fridge which we top up as we travel around but I'm not sure we'll be allowed to do this when we travel to Norway. Does anyone have any experience of this?
No problem.
We travelled by Ferry from Hirtsals to Kristiansand and we were asked about alcohol.
We had 1 case of beer no problem.
If you cross by road I think not even a check

Enjoy your trip
Does the Grenaa - Varberg ferry compare on price to taking the two bridges route?
Hi.
We don't do long tunnels and the Grenaa ferry was the cheapest also you can just turn up and get your ticket.
Enjoy trip
Ken

Hi Jenrai...We have never booked any campsites abroad
(except Paris Bois de Boulougne 1 week at Easter 2011)
We mainly use spots from the Dutch site (Almost Kamper Kontact)
Trips as follows
Czech republic 2012 ( 2 weeks)
France 2013 (1 month)
To Romania 2014 (2 months)
France 2015 (1 month)
Scandy 2016 (over 3 months)
Scotland and ROI 2017 ( 1 month each)
Italy 2018 (3 months)

Yes we have had the odd "dodgy night" eg 2 or 3 last summer in Italy, and 2 others I would avoid because of traffic noise.
But we also found a few delightful sites and many other very good ones !

Norway is Good with many cheap or free "sites".
Sweden even better and with more dedicated (motorhome) service areas.
We do use the odd campsite and these will be simple sites.

We did a similar trip in 2016 and only once did we have to squeeze in as the area was almost full
so in Norway (40 days) just 1 "expensive site" and half a dozen "medium price" the rest being free.....
Sweden just 1 "Farm-site" (30 days)

I have the Co-ords of all our "stopovers" and we will re-visit quite used on our 2016 trip
However our route is rather different this time (no Nordkapp or Finland and transit Denmark in 1 day).

Yes food and alcohol pricey but compensated by the great camping

I have earmarked/bookmarked loads of KK sites as potential places including 1 in Stockholm
Don’t they have Lidl’s/Aldi then?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back