Switzerland 2019 Mountain passes

jagmanx

I plan this to be my 3rd and final post for guidance/info.
Thanks for the replies to the first 2 posts (wilding and ACSI)
A potential route is as follows
Enter from France (Jura) and tour the NW to include Neuchatel area.
Then to Interlaken followed by route 11 and 9 then the 19 to the Rhone valley.
To Obergorms via the lower Furka (Pass 1)
Then route 6 to Brienz area via Grimsel (Pass 2)
Next to Lucerne and then South on route 2 to Arbedo-Castione I plan to avoid using the tunnel and take the St Gotthard (Pass 3).
Next northwards again via the San Bernadino again the pass (Pass 4)
Then maybe to Davos https://goo.gl/maps/FctFtn8gQBn (Pass 5)

My investigations so far ( maps and youtube and more) indicate that these are all fairly comfortable.
The upper Furka from Gletsch to Andermatt seems a bit dodgy.
We have a 6.5 m Coachbuilt vehicle (see Avatar) or indeed Italy photos
We are Ok on most mountain roads eg Col de Mont Cenis (Modane to Susa) but seek to avoid stretches with near vertical drops (eg balcony roads in France).
Replies greatly appreciated especially from those who have driven then in a MoHo.
PS we plan to do this mainly in June and it seems that most passes should be open then
Thanks in anticipation

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I've driven any of those passes but have a good look at the condition of your front discs before going. If there is any significant rust pitting you might want to think about new discs and pads before leaving.

There are a couple of things to consider, one of them is to do a brake fluid system change on a regular basis, ideally on at least a 4 year basis. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water from the air reducing its efficiency. Being at altitude will lower the boiling point of the watery brake fluid, not something you’d want when hurtling down the Furka Pass ?

Secondly if you do your own servicing make certain to check your brake pads front and rear so they don’t end up like these horrors (on mine at 30k miles)

Also the hubs were very reluctant to release the wheels and needed to be sandblasted clean. Also Fiat in their wisdom only put Wear indicators on one side.

Attachments

• 1F1185F3-BF33-47A2-9BCB-A9D15599D22E.jpeg
    1F1185F3-BF33-47A2-9BCB-A9D15599D22E.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 3409564C-E2E4-41A5-8124-96877114D1CA.jpeg
    3409564C-E2E4-41A5-8124-96877114D1CA.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 3FE9055E-ED86-488A-AF1D-D6E3A00E4CDA.jpeg
    3FE9055E-ED86-488A-AF1D-D6E3A00E4CDA.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 17
Unless you double check yourself I wouldn’t assume they were actually inspected, a cursory look might show enough pad material left like on 2 of mine. Once bitten etc.

My picture shows new and the 2 worst pads, I didn’t take a pic of the “these look OK” ones.

We were in Switzerland in May 2018. We found some passes were still closed such as the Furka, but that was good. We drove as far as the barriers where there is a layby with portaloo where we overnighted. No traffic with just the sound of a melt water stream. We had no problems with any roads, even those signed "No buses". We have a 7.5m motorhome. Due to the mountains, there are not that many routes to choose from therefore most are of a reasonable size for farm traffic. HOWEVER, be very aware of high mountain villages where the streets can be from challenging to impossible for large vehicles. No pavements, and houses built close to the road, with some sharp bends and corners.
We wildcamped everywhere but we found sometimes that if we found a nice spot mid-afternoon, we grabbed the opportunity and called it an early night. Wilding can be thin on the ground near the popular towns such as Interlaken and Zermatt so be prepared for the occasional expensive campsite.
There are some steep routes but nothing horrendous. Only once did we have brake fade (we are 3.5t) but that was only because I was trying not to hold up traffic behind so I was in too high a gear. Better to pull over if you can to let the locals past and then proceed in a lower and slower gear.
Don't forget the vignette but this is only required if you need the Swiss motorways. We avoided the motorways and went without. Much nicer anyway. You see so many photo opportunities which have to be ignored on a motorway.
If you want the peaks, be prepared for the costs of cable cars and funiculars. They cost a fortune. As an example, return from Interlaken up Jungfrau is over 200CHF each. And you'll be really p****ed off if the summit is in cloud. Pick the weather right if you do any summits. You can spend several hundred pounds on the mountains very easily.
Generally speaking, Switzerland is expensive so keep the fridge topped up. LPG if you need it can be difficult to find. Top up whenever you see it.
You will enjoy it all. I guarantee it. :)

To anyone who considers 200sfr a bit too much money for a mere train ride up to the top of jungfraujoch may I tell you IT IS A MUST SEE . I’ve been twice and each time it was in clear beautiful weather and is an absolute mind blower.

This sounds alright. Might have a go in 2020. This years pretty well sorted. Think I’ve got to retire* to get it all in.

* to be honest, certain members of management are making life difficult. May well be time to say, enough!

26 more working days until the road trip. I’ll be surprised if I go back.

It seems all systems go !
Thanks for all the replies..
1 Pretty confident we can wild or cheap at least 50%
2 The passes on our provisional route all look OK
3 Overnighting near the top of some looks OK (weather permitting)
4 Switzerland is small so easy mileage
5 Happy to pay the "vignette" (under 3500kg)
6 Traintunnels not too bad if we need (Furka or Kandersteg) but as posted and my previous travels indicate..SWISS roads are good !
7 Quite a few M-way dumpstations

As posted if you find a nice place at lunchtime stay there !

I don’t know when you intend to travel but be aware that the various passes, Furka, Grimsel, Susten, St. Gotthard, etc. Etc. Will all be closed/blocked with snow from Nov 1st to June 1st. They are only guaranteed to be open between those dates. Note, must find some example pics ?

Thanks SimonM..
Yes aware of the closure period..
Plan to enter Switzerland about 20 May for 5 or 6 weeks and make use of ACSI discounts but wild as much as we can.
But no wilding in some areas (eg North face of the Eiger..too steep)
Plan to avoid the Furka but use the Grimsel St Gotthard and San Bernadino and the road to Davos
39 min (33.2 km) via Landwasserstrasse
Do not plan the Fuella as it is closed in the day due to avalanche risk

I plan this to be my 3rd and final post for guidance/info.
Thanks for the replies to the first 2 posts (wilding and ACSI)
A potential route is as follows
Enter from France (Jura) and tour the NW to include Neuchatel area.
Then to Interlaken followed by route 11 and 9 then the 19 to the Rhone valley.
To Obergorms via the lower Furka (Pass 1)
Then route 6 to Brienz area via Grimsel (Pass 2)
Next to Lucerne and then South on route 2 to Arbedo-Castione I plan to avoid using the tunnel and take the St Gotthard (Pass 3).
Next northwards again via the San Bernadino again the pass (Pass 4)
Then maybe to Davos https://goo.gl/maps/FctFtn8gQBn (Pass 5)

My investigations so far ( maps and youtube and more) indicate that these are all fairly comfortable.
The upper Furka from Gletsch to Andermatt seems a bit dodgy.
We have a 6.5 m Coachbuilt vehicle (see Avatar) or indeed Italy photos
We are Ok on most mountain roads eg Col de Mont Cenis (Modane to Susa) but seek to avoid stretches with near vertical drops (eg balcony roads in France).
Replies greatly appreciated especially from those who have driven then in a MoHo.
PS we plan to do this mainly in June and it seems that most passes should be open then
Thanks in anticipation
We have done the upper Furka in June 2011 in a 6.9m MH. Steady going until almost the top when it started to snow. Made it to the summit and were advised to descend the other side quickly as they were about to close the pass in both directions. Not fun in the snowy semi-light, so pick your times.

Thanks ( I think )
My research shows the Furka "lives up to its name"
To do the Grimsel you have to do the lower Furka strasse but that looks OK
All the passes I earmarked in my opening post look fine..
Obviously weather dependent...
No fun going high up in the clouds and not seeing anything....Tomorrow is another day !

A follow up/additional question!
Rather than starting a new thread..

What is the LEZ situation in Switzerland.
I have a German Green sticker and a French "Good" sticker

Update
It seems nothing needed..I quote

"Switzerland has investigated low emission zones. The Cantons (federal states) took a vote whether Swiss law should allow LEZs. Cantons like Basel and Geneva were keen to implement LEZs, other Cantons not. The vote of all the Cantons decided that LEZs should not be enabled in Swiss law."

From http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/lo.../cities-not-implementing-or-investigating-an-

Last edited:
Switzerland is now back on the agenda !
With various tasks and appointments still in hand in Uk we cannot get the 3.5 months needed to do justice to Sweden and Norway.
So ASAP after 11th June we will head to Canterbury then Calais and then to Switzerland via the Vosges and Jura.
after a few weeks on to Germany and maybe The Netherlands.

If you are going to the Vosges go to Gerardmer. Lovely lake. AIRE behind the Tourist office.

Thanks to Biggarmac.
We have stayed near at Epinal B4 but Gerardmer looks great.

Just a thought "Do they sell burgers":):devilish:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back