Switzerland just got expensive !

jagmanx

Bugger !
Switzerland just got expensive !
Or should I say will get when we pay !
Driving from our campsite (£33 a night) up the Lauterbrunnen valley and rear-tyre goes flat !
Our breakdown cover (Comfort/Aviva) worked well and a guy arrived within an hour and duly replaced the flat tyre with our 13year old spare.
Friday evening so no garages open except a garage local to our camp-sie but he cannot do until Wednesday SO 5 nights.
Not sensible to drive anywhere without a spare.
However the camp-site deal gives us free local travel in and around Interlaken and reductions if we choose to go up one of the railways.
We will need to buy 2 new tyres to fit on the front !
Move the 2 good front tyres to the rear and use the remaining good tyre on the rear as the spare. I do not fancy driving at even 40mph on a 13 year old tyre !
ps all the 4 tyres in use were new in 2015 .
The local guy cannot do the job until Wednesday so 5 nights here https://goo.gl/maps/37yc8rGpfDZWDiV1A
This was the puncture drive https://goo.gl/maps/LVqzyxvncFNeA1UU7

You put the new tyres on the rear, and the part works stay on the front. The theory is that under braking the weight transference to the front will keep the part worns firmly planted, and then the reduced weight in the rears is helped by them having excellent treads to prevent them from skidding.

Ps
With free transport I can think of worse places to be stuck.
Nice place Lauterbrunnen valley, the only problem is that evenings come in quickly and the temperature drops quickly, on the plus side there are some nice restaurants.

Well, never knew that about tyres ... last new ones fitted to front.

Yes, a lovely area to be stuck. No excuses for not getting out and about to explore.

I know I read to buy two sets of snow chains, as with the weight of a MH, going downhill the rear end would slide out.

Confirmed here

Regards,
Del

I know it’s down to what you are happy with yourself but when I had a blow out last year breakdown company fitted my 2007 dated spare (on a steel rim). The tyre looked in great condition and I was happy driving to Norfolk then on to the Henley meet.

At the time I could not find tyres anywhere that were able to take the rear axle weight so I couldn’t get a replacement for some months. I still went all over the UK to lots of meets with no spare and wasn’t too concerned. Of course Sod’s law does dictate anything can happen and sometimes does :)

I know it’s down to what you are happy with yourself but when I had a blow out last year breakdown company fitted my 2007 dated spare (on a steel rim). The tyre looked in great condition and I was happy driving to Norfolk then on to the Henley meet.

At the time I could not find tyres anywhere that were able to take the rear axle weight so I couldn’t get a replacement for some months. I still went all over the UK to lots of meets with no spare and wasn’t too concerned. Of course Sod’s law does dictate anything can happen and sometimes does :)
In UK maybe.... but not abroad And in the mountains..if we did not have a spare on Friday we would have been totally "Donald ducked"....If push came to shove I might be able to change the wheel myself.
And yes the spare maybe ok as it has been out of the sun under the vehicle for 13 years.
But peace of mind for both of us.
The delay is no problem and breakdown insurance may subsidise the camp costs.

As I said it’s down to what the individual is happy with but I just collected a brand new car on Thursday that did not come with a spare tyre or compressor and gunge, not even a jack in this one.

I will add if I could have got hold of a tyre after my blow out I would have, I don’t like being out in the van without one.

Suppose it works both ways as if any Tyre is going to Fail at 50mph>> I'd rather that Tyre blow-out on the rear - I've had two front blow-outs in my time, doesn't give time to get lane 1 from lane 2! So; I tend to keep New to the front and aged to the rear.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back