System design - Solar, alternator and hook-up

Adtb89

Free Member

Hi all,
Firstly, please accept my apologies if this question has been asked before.
I'm starting my first ever van build and I'm onto the stage of designing and procuring my electrical system and components. I'm interested in a system whereby the majority of the electrical charge is being generated and supplied from the solar panels and alternator but I'm able to top up from the grid if I ever enter a scenario whereby there's little to no sun for an extended period, I'm pretty much stationary yet I am able to hook-up. This may sound a bit overkill but I'm planning on living in this van so I'm trying to all angles.

I've yet to find a product or system that does all of that. The closest I've found is the Victron Multiplus products however I'm not sure it has the functionality to convert a 240v AC input into a 12v DC out to the batteries.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Andrew

The Multiplus is a Charger + Inverter product. Do you need an Inverter? (you don't mention that need).
Given that hookup seems to be the last option you listed, maybe the Multiplus is not the product to look at first? It does convert 240V AC to 12V AC i.e. it is a AC Mains Battery Charger.

If you want a single unit that will give you Alternator AND Solar Charging, there are quite a few options from different manufacturers (Redarc, Ablemail, Ring, CTEK, etc, etc.). They tend to be limited and if you are focussing on Solar, I would not recommend them.
If you really want a single unit for Alternator, Solar AND Mains, then options are much more limited. The best known for this is maybe the Redarc BMS Manager 30, but it is not cheap by any means and is physically quite large. It is also limited on what Solar it works with and again, I don't think I would recommend it for a solar-centric build.

I'd probably go for separate components ...
Nip over to https://motorhomebuilder.com/ where these questions are generally answered in more detail.

Yes I am looking to have one 240v AC circuit and couple of 12v DC circuits.

I think I'm going a bit overkill to be honest. Perhaps I should just stick to alternator and solar to charge the batteries and just add the hookup function to just power the 240v circuit when available.

Thanks for the help anyway and I sure will check out the other site.

Andrew

Yes I am looking to have one 240v AC circuit and couple of 12v DC circuits.

I think I'm going a bit overkill to be honest. Perhaps I should just stick to alternator and solar to charge the batteries and just add the hookup function to just power the 240v circuit when available.

Thanks for the help anyway and I sure will check out the other site.

Andrew
You can always just connect a battery charger to ehu if needed rather than fitting 230v if you don’t have a need for it. You can get hook up leads for tents that have breakers and 3 pin plug on the end 👍

What I have in my self build is
solar is a victron mppt controller, highly recommended easy to control by bluetooth
B2B is a sterling 30 amp, again highly recommende, although make sure that the cables are hefty enough for a high charge rate.

240 volts what I have is a 12 volt power supply that I can switch To the sterling instead of the input from the vehicle battery. So the sterling supplies a good charge profile, whatever Leisure batteries you Use this means that the sterling charger is used both as a B2B and a mains charger.

Absolutely no need to apologise about asking questions. The only stupid question, is the one you didn't ask.

From post no 1
It seems you just need EHU to charge/maintain your LB mainly in winter.

As @nabsim suggests...a Suitable cable with one (or a pair) of standard 13 amp socket.
The leccy Gurus will be able to advise on a suitable baatery charger.
This to be fixed in place and permanently wired to the LB.
Then simply plug it in when EHU available
With a second socket you will also be able to use another mains item (eg 1000/500watt fan heater or charge laptop)
A nice simple solution without an OTT full blown mains onboard

This assumes you do not have a 3-way fridge and wish to supply 240V to it

Never worry about asking questions, you will never be told to "Google It" or use the search feature on this website.
That said, I was told once to LITFM😞 Not by Phil. I did have to google that.
I think it was about parking lights on a Ducato.

My advice is keep thing separate so if one goes down you wont be left in the dark so to speak,solar duel charge unit ,one for hab batts with small trickle to starter,charger unit from mains i would go for numax 10ah smart charger.
all but one of things in my van are all 12v,the only 230v is the water heater for kitchen sink which requires a inverter.
I would also rec a multi led fuse box for all wiring and a small one for each side of solar panel,plus some usb cigy sockets for around the van.numax 10a.pngsolar duel a.pngmulti fuse box.pngusb a.jpg4 way panel.png

If you do in fact want an all in one unit for solar, b2b and mains charge I think Votronic make such a unit but they aren’t cheap

This sort of thing

Well I'm using an all in one... The Redarc Manager 30 that you will find on @wildebus webstore and I'm very happy with it.
Its a good solution for me to keep all I need in one device.
Downside may possibly be that it is only 30 amp but with the recent addition of a lithium battery bank I find that the batteries are charging quickly due to not having the long float time that lead acid has.

I have not used the mppt side of things yet though. I believe it has "green power priority" so will always use solar if it can and top up what's required from other sources.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back