Tablet not laptop

jagmanx

My new Lenovo tablet is great !
However although do-able spreadsheet work is tedious.
Thus for, whilst travelling, I have revamped my practices.
Downloaded many apps of which most have been discarded.
But the following do what I want and are both easy but sophisticated enough
  • Alzex for Bank accounts
  • Expense log for House income/expenses
  • Home finance for daily expenses
  • Travel diary (photos)
  • Calendar Pro (simple list but notes possible) use as a log
  • And GPS loggers (2) Gps waypoints and MyTracks
  • Mapsme
The first 5 are all new and minor payments incurred !
The bottom line being "No need for laptop at all"
And I can keep all my usual records (some duplicated) and no need to use spreadsheets

I have used the precise names if others wish to trial them.
The wildcamping location app appears to have had minor configuration changes and now works very well !
Maybe a few tweaks from Phil together with his recommendations for my device ? (My thanks)
With this obvious exception all the apps work offfline. I choose not to use apps which require an internet connection even if they are good (eg Polar Steps despite it being a known favourite).
The other online app being the C&CC siteseeker.
One more app ...a simple nested notepad just text or Todo list called notepad !

Last edited:
All good as long as the sys is not m/soft or android which will spy on all bank acc, some day monies will go missing, same can happen with a mobile to unless you are running pure android or sailfish/linux opperating phone like a pine ph.

If you find you could do with spreadsheets still, there is an option to connect a normal keyboard/mouse.

You just need an OTG cable.

Reactions: Alf
If you find you could do with spreadsheets still, there is an option to connect a normal keyboard/mouse.

Thanks
Yes I have said OTG
I can also use bluetooth for mouse & Keyboard
But on a daily basis the installed apps are so good and easy
If needed I can export data for an SS

The OTG also allows me to copy Photos/video from camera cards to an extra memory disk

All good as long as the sys is not m/soft or android which will spy on all bank acc, some day monies will go missing, same can happen with a mobile to unless you are running pure android or sailfish/linux opperating phone like a pine ph.
Agreed. It's a long time since I did any coding but, AFAICS, many 'apps' (hate that word BTW) are just highly focused browsers carefully designed to push adverts at you or slurp your personal data via unnecessary permissions.
I keep apps on my tablet to an absolute minimum and even fewer on my phone. I then access most things through a browser with location denied, an ad blocker and cookies controlled and deleted after every session. Not perfect but better.
There's no banking info on any of my devices; I just type in the web address every time. Oh, and don't forget the password manager; Bitwarden works well on MS, Linux and Android.
Paranoid, moi?

Yes apps a horrible word !
As you say adverts everywhere.
But nearly all the apps I listed work offline.
Being a bit old fashioned I prefer to be able to work 100% offline.
Apart from the obvious ones the apps I listed all work offline.

Agreed. It's a long time since I did any coding but, AFAICS, many 'apps' (hate that word BTW) are just highly focused browsers carefully designed to push adverts at you or slurp your personal data via unnecessary permissions.
I keep apps on my tablet to an absolute minimum and even fewer on my phone. I then access most things through a browser with location denied, an ad blocker and cookies controlled and deleted after every session. Not perfect but better.
There's no banking info on any of my devices; I just type in the web address every time. Oh, and don't forget the password manager; Bitwarden works well on MS, Linux and Android.
Paranoid, moi?
Well done, folk dont beleave or think im bonkers, i use duckduck go and clear all data after each use. (y)

Thanks, even just using a bluetooth mouse makes all the difference.
I also have a small bluetooth keyboard in the vehicle.
So "Spreadsheets are go" !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back