The Bread and Baking Thread

We got ours at Penzeys in the US, if we can ever go back we’ll bring some for you. They are available on Amazon.

Thanks for letting me know, Bill. Don't take up baggage allowance for dried shallot for me!
I'll source some in the UK. Stupid me hadn't even thought to use Madam Google 🙄🤔🙄.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

we had a bread maker once , and every loaf had a slightly weird flavor and consistency . stuck with it for a bit ,but never really liked the bread it made

we had a bread maker once , and every loaf had a slightly weird flavor and consistency . stuck with it for a bit ,but never really liked the bread it made

My bread maker(s) made hundreds of loaves over the years - especially when the offsprung were at home. And we all liked the loaves they made once I'd tweeked the recipes to suit our tastes.
I just prefer the handmade stuff now - which for me is sourdough and soda bread.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
I had a bread maker until I moved up here back in 2018.
I gave it away to charity as I needed to downsize and didnt reckon i would need it again.

Not one of my better ideas as i really wished i had it now !!!

You can have mine for free if you can get here.
Thanks for the offer but as I am in Scotland we are in a stricter lockdown than England
In Fact I am in double lockdown as Calmac have their ferries running on an essential user only situation until at least 15th July !!

Thanks for the offer but as I am in Scotland we are in a stricter lockdown than England
In Fact I am in double lockdown as Calmac have their ferries running on an essential user only situation until at least 15th July !!
No problem, its not going anywhere so if things change, or the WC Express is passing feel free to get in touch...

This popped up on my Facebook page thought it might interest some on here, it’s a recipe for Japanese milk bread

Ingredients
For the tangzhong
2 tbsp bread flour (approx 25g)
6 tbsp water
For rest of loaf
300 g bread flour approx 2 cups plus 2 tbsp
2 tsp fast acting yeast (technically a little under but can use 1 sachet, 1/4oz/ 7g)
120 ml milk 1/2 cup (lukewarm or room temp, but not hot)
30 g unsalted butter 2tbsp, melted but not hot
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar (caster sugar/fine), approx 42g
1 egg
To glaze
1 egg (lightly beaten - won't need all)
Instructions
For tangzhong - made slightly ahead
Put water and flour for tangzhong in a small pan. Mix until smooth and no lumps remain - do this before turning on the heat.
Warm the flour paste gently over a medium-low heat until it thickens, stirring constantly. You should see trails left by the spoon/whisk as you stir it. Set the pan aside to cool.
To make bread
Measure out the remaining ingredients into a large bowl (flour, yeast, milk, melted butter, sugar, salt and egg). Add the cooled tangzhong - I gently beat the egg into the tangzhong first to both save the tangzhong being too thick and help egg to mix better but you don't need to, just make sure you mix it well. Mix all the ingredients together then knead, either in mixer or by hand on a floured surface. Add a little more flour if needed.
Once the dough is no longer sticky, transfer to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and leave to rise in a relatively warm place until doubled - around 1 hour.
Once it has risen, knock back the dough, divide into three pieces. Set the other pieces to one side and roll one piece into an oval.
Fold one side of dough over to halfway across the remaining dough then fold the other side on top so you have three layers (see photos above). Gently roll slightly, if needed, then roll up the piece of dough as you would a cinnamon roll.
Repeat with the other pieces of dough then put all three rolls of dough in an oiled loaf pan - 9x5in (22x12cm) or slightly smaller.
Cover and leave to rise again until the loaf is just reaching the top of the pan. Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Lightly beat the egg and brush the top of the loaf with egg wash.
Bake the loaf for approx 30 minutes until golden brown. If it browns too fast, tent with foil for the last part of cooking. Turn onto a cooling rack to cool before slicing.
Notes
Note the measurements are in weight first as these are more accurate. It is always best to be as consistent as possible when baking bread, so I'd recommend trying to use weight measurements, but cups are listed as well if not.
Nutrition
Calories: 103kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 154mg | Potassium: 37mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 74IU | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg

02285B72-01F0-4B9C-977E-65E688C6C32B.jpeg96808AF8-936C-4CFA-ABD4-DAB88D8EC9BF.jpeg

Last edited:
This popped up on my Facebook page thought it might interest some on here, it’s a recipe for Japanese milk bread

Ingredients
For the tangzhong
2 tbsp bread flour (approx 25g)
6 tbsp water
For rest of loaf
300 g bread flour approx 2 cups plus 2 tbsp
2 tsp fast acting yeast (technically a little under but can use 1 sachet, 1/4oz/ 7g)
120 ml milk 1/2 cup (lukewarm or room temp, but not hot)
30 g unsalted butter 2tbsp, melted but not hot
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar (caster sugar/fine), approx 42g
1 egg
To glaze
1 egg (lightly beaten - won't need all)
Instructions
For tangzhong - made slightly ahead
Put water and flour for tangzhong in a small pan. Mix until smooth and no lumps remain - do this before turning on the heat.
Warm the flour paste gently over a medium-low heat until it thickens, stirring constantly. You should see trails left by the spoon/whisk as you stir it. Set the pan aside to cool.
To make bread
Measure out the remaining ingredients into a large bowl (flour, yeast, milk, melted butter, sugar, salt and egg). Add the cooled tangzhong - I gently beat the egg into the tangzhong first to both save the tangzhong being too thick and help egg to mix better but you don't need to, just make sure you mix it well. Mix all the ingredients together then knead, either in mixer or by hand on a floured surface. Add a little more flour if needed.
Once the dough is no longer sticky, transfer to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and leave to rise in a relatively warm place until doubled - around 1 hour.
Once it has risen, knock back the dough, divide into three pieces. Set the other pieces to one side and roll one piece into an oval.
Fold one side of dough over to halfway across the remaining dough then fold the other side on top so you have three layers (see photos above). Gently roll slightly, if needed, then roll up the piece of dough as you would a cinnamon roll.
Repeat with the other pieces of dough then put all three rolls of dough in an oiled loaf pan - 9x5in (22x12cm) or slightly smaller.
Cover and leave to rise again until the loaf is just reaching the top of the pan. Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Lightly beat the egg and brush the top of the loaf with egg wash.
Bake the loaf for approx 30 minutes until golden brown. If it browns too fast, tent with foil for the last part of cooking. Turn onto a cooling rack to cool before slicing.
Notes
Note the measurements are in weight first as these are more accurate. It is always best to be as consistent as possible when baking bread, so I'd recommend trying to use weight measurements, but cups are listed as well if not.
Nutrition
Calories: 103kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 154mg | Potassium: 37mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 74IU | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg

View attachment 54845View attachment 54846

Nigel has made Japanese milk bread and posted earlier in the thread, Annie. It certainly looks like a challenge to a novice like me!
Thanks for posting, the recipe, Annie.
BTW, did you ever get more bread making ingredients and make some loaves? Our local stores are almost back to normal on the home baking front.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Nigel has made Japanese milk bread and posted earlier in the thread, Annie. It certainly looks like a challenge to a novice like me!
Thanks for posting, the recipe, Annie.
BTW, did you ever get more bread making ingredients and make some loaves? Our local stores are almost back to normal on the home baking front.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
Yes I have plenty of yeast and flour lots of bread flour and plain flour in our supermarkets but not a lot of self-raising flour all is normal here now👍

The latest soda loaf is of the sweet variety:

IMG_20200622_162807.jpg

It's made to the 'standard' recipe given at post #225 plus walnuts, glacé cherries, mixed dried fruit, soft dark sugar and mixed spice.
Could this be my favourite sweet soda recipe?
Quite possibly.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I was quite taken with Bill's post #238 where he describes Susie's soda bread with dried shallot flakes.
I happened to be in an Indian supermarket yesterday stocking up with poppadoms for grilling in the house and came across this:

IMG_20200624_181858.jpg

It's ridiculously cheap (£1.89 for 400g) and, I hoped, similar to shallot flakes.
I've made a soda loaf with 50g of the dried onions plus a tablespoon of:

IMG_20200624_181825.jpg

........ and the result looks thus:

IMG_20200624_181730.jpg

It has a great flavour, though I may use 75g of the onions next time.

So thanks for the idea, Bill and Susie.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Amazon customers can get a free Kindle book, if you don't have a Kindle there is a free app for your PC

The Big Book of Baking: Master Baking Cakes, Breads, Cookies, Pies, and Much More with 1000+ Recipes! (Baking Cookbook 8) Kindle Edition
51SwvNVJP8L.jpg

Been looking at this today. Intrigued, although the chance of me doing any is unlikely. I know my place, and anywhere near the oven isn’t one of them.
Greggbear, love your stuff. Especially the sausage rolls. The 4 for the price of 3 offer is a real bargain. Not keen on the idea of vegan sausage though. Each to there own.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. MMMMMMGreggs

The latest loaf is a sourdough with my favourite additions of pumpkin, sunflower and linseeds:

IMG_20200628_085006.jpg

I think that I got hooked on this combination in Germany many years ago and it's obviously stayed with me.
The ambient temperature is higher now and I'm finding that the dough is rising and proving faster. I'm not sure if that affects the crumb but the texture seems more open to me:

IMG_20200628_085236.jpg

In any case I'm looking forward to eating it!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back