The Bread and Baking Thread

How would you describe the taste. Gerry

It’s different to anything I've had before. A nice balance between the coffee, nuts and the sweetness of the cherries. The texture is enhanced by the crispness of the crust. I would have thought that the sugar content may make it too sweet but in reality it was not. We had butter on some and both felt that this enhanced it.

I finished the last sourdough loaf last evening and thought I'd bake a savoury soda loaf to a new recipe this morning.
I decided I'd include sunflower seeds and, in order to emphasise the 'savoury', I also made the liquid component with vegetable stock - one Knorr vegetable stock cuboid dissolved in the 375ml of water. Commercial stock has salt included so I reduced the additional salt to ½ teaspoon.
The result is very tasty indeed but an 'interesting' chemical reaction has taken place:

IMG_20200701_091006~2.jpg

Just look at the original colour of the sunflower seeds and their colour in the baked loaf! Here's a closer view:

IMG_20200701_091006~3.jpg

I suspect that either there has indeed been a chemical reaction between the acid (white wine vinegar) and the sunflower seeds or the alkali (the bicarbonate of soda) and the sunflower seeds or the sunflower seeds contain an 'indicator' (anyone remember that from school chemistry lessons?).
I sense further experiments on the horizon!

In any case, the loaf is a culinary and, depending on one's view, a visual delight and will be repeated.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

It could be the Bicarbonate of Soda because it is used when boiling cabbage and other greens to keep their green colour

It could be the Bicarbonate of Soda because it is used when boiling cabbage and other greens to keep their green colour

Susie has used sunflower seeds in her normal soda bread without any sign of them turning green. That might point to the vinegar being the cause as her bread has bicarb of soda in it and she doesn't use any vinegar.

Susie has used sunflower seeds in her normal soda bread without any sign of them turning green. That might point to the vinegar being the cause as her bread has bicarb of soda in it and she doesn't use any vinegar.
We need someone to experiment Bill, soak sunflower seeds in a bicarb mixture and a vinegar solution💥

We need someone to experiment Bill, soak sunflower seeds in a bicarb mixture and a vinegar solution💥

Definitely.
We need someone to ............

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

If anyone is struggling to get yeast I bought some of this yeast from Amazon
View attachment 54530
500g for £12.70 with free delivery, we used it yesterday to make pizzas and it was excellent
I know that this is a reply to an old post. However, I've finally run out of Allinson's yeast and made my first loaf with the Fermipan yeast bought over a month ago -- and it's just as good as the bread made with Allinson's Easybake. My pack of Fermipan (from Amazon) has a 2-year expiry date, so there shouldn't be too much waste! HTH

Not bread making again but thought you’d like these mini Victoria Sponge cakes that Susie made today.

View attachment 55034

The sponges look wonderful, Bill. Congratulations to Susie.
I also love the sentiments expressed at the top right hand corner.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Reactions: 2cv
Maggy made some sourdough dinner rolls following this recipe , here is the result

Sourdough Rolls.jpg
The first taste was when they were warm obviously and Maggy thought they were slightly sweet but I didn't, neither of us has sugar in anything so it might not be noticeable to others, the day after we had one with some spicy homemade soup and they were perfect, they rose so high they looked like little loaves :ROFLMAO:

I really like the combination of chocolate and coffee.
So l thought that I'd incorporate both in a sweet soda loaf:

IMG_20200706_075952.jpg

It's coffee, dark chocolate chip, glacé cherries - and walnuts. Really not at all bad.

And on the savoury front I've made another soda loaf with crispy fried onions, Italian style herbs and a large dollop of Marmite:

IMG_20200706_080142.jpg

Compared to sourdough, soda bread is so quick from start to finish. Now that I'm getting used to making it, probably an hour from setting out the ingredients to cooling on the rack. Having said that, I won't be abandoning sourdough any time soon!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

On countryfile just now. Theres a farm in Cumbria. With crop of Crickets for a new super food ment to be great and full of protein. thay produce cricket flour. Sounds interesting not. Well will anybody take the challenge:eek:

On countryfile just now. Theres a farm in Cumbria. With crop of Crickets for a new super food ment to be great and full of protein. thay produce cricket flour. Sounds interesting not. Well will anybody take the challenge:eek:

Of course they will, Silver Sprinter.
Do let us know how your loaf turns out.
And, if you can get it to stop jumping around for a moment or two, please post a picture - and an audio file of it chirping would be fun.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back