The Bread and Baking Thread

The house was pretty much devoid of food when I returned late on Saturday night, so I decided to throw a soda loaf together. I had Marmite and Italian style herbs in the cupboard - so that's the flavour of bread that came out of the oven 55 minutes after assembling the ingredients.
Going............

IMG_20200810_073213.jpg

Going.......

IMG_20200810_073233.jpg

Gone.

IMG_20200810_073257.jpg

That's better!

Colin ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

The house was pretty much devoid of food when I returned late on Saturday night, so I decided to throw a soda loaf together. I had Marmite and Italian style herbs in the cupboard - so that's the flavour of bread that came out of the oven 55 minutes after assembling the ingredients.
Going............

View attachment 55574

Going.......

View attachment 55575

Gone.

View attachment 55576

That's better!

Colin ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚
Hi Colin how was your bread. I have never tried Marmite the look of it puts me off. Could you taste the Marmite. I can see it went down well.

Hi Colin how was your bread. I have never tried Marmite the look of it puts me off. Could you taste the Marmite. I can see it went down well.

The bread was pretty good, Silver Sprinter - but then again, I'm a Marmite Lover.
I put two teaspoons in the loaf and I didn't taste it as Marmite flavoured at that concentration, but the Marmite does give the loaf a savoury kick.

Colin ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

Going............

View attachment 55574

Going.......

View attachment 55575

Gone.

View attachment 55576

That's better!

Colin ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚
yum yum looks good colin..........mouth watering so it is...........any chance of the recipe please

yum yum looks good colin..........mouth watering so it is...........any chance of the recipe please

The basic recipe and method I now use can be found at post#225, Trixie.
If you have a wander through subsequent posts by various contributors you'll find all sorts of ideas for additional ingredients that makes the basic recipe savoury or sweet, though it's also great unadulterated and slathered with butter (or spread of your choice) whilst still warm!

Colin ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

The basic recipe and method I now use can be found at post#225, Trixie.
If you have a wander through subsequent posts by various contributors you'll find all sorts of ideas for additional ingredients that makes the basic recipe savoury or sweet, though it's also great unadulterated and slathered with butter (or spread of your choice) whilst still warm!

Colin ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚
many thanks colin.........the thought of butter and warm bread and a cup o milk to go with it......ooohhhhh delightful.......

I'm sick to the back teeth with every time I try to make a simple loaf it turns out lovely and crispy on outside and playdo on the inside no matter what simple recipe I use, I think it's all a trick

Soft Sourdough Rolls (sort of brioche)

Start 24hrs before needed

450g bread flour
250g milk at room temperature (I find this makes the dough a bit wet so use 225g, but it depends how wet your starter is)
150g bubbly sourdough starter
50g butter, softened
10g salt
1 large egg

9 x 13 ins baking tin, greased

Put all ingredients into a mixer and mix 2 mins at low, then mix faster 4-5mins.
Transfer to a wider shallow bowl, cover with cling (plate) leave to rest 20mins. Stretch and fold in bowl then leave to ferment at room temp for 4-5 hours. Refrigerate 12-16hours
Divide cold dough into 12, place in tin. Allow to rise about 2hrs in a warm place until 1 1/2 times size.

Bake 20-30 min at 200C fan

Soft Sourdough Rolls (sort of brioche)

Start 24hrs before needed

450g bread flour
250g milk at room temperature (I find this makes the dough a bit wet so use 225g, but it depends how wet your starter is)
150g bubbly sourdough starter
50g butter, softened
10g salt
1 large egg

9 x 13 ins baking tin, greased

Put all ingredients into a mixer and mix 2 mins at low, then mix faster 4-5mins.
Transfer to a wider shallow bowl, cover with cling (plate) leave to rest 20mins. Stretch and fold in bowl then leave to ferment at room temp for 4-5 hours. Refrigerate 12-16hours
Divide cold dough into 12, place in tin. Allow to rise about 2hrs in a warm place until 1 1/2 times size.

Bake 20-30 min at 200C fan

Thanks, Sue. I'm gonna have to try that one......................

Colin ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

One of my sons and his partner are currently preparing for a trip to the Scottish Highlands and have bought an Omnia stove top 'oven'.
His partner was the one to get me interested in making sourdough bread and gave me some starter from the Oregon Trail yeast family (a fascinating history which can be found with the help of Madame Google).
Her first loaves came out of the Omnia looking pretty good to my eyes:

IMG-20200816-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20200816-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200816-WA0003.jpg

I really must get my act together and make some bread in the Moho.

Colin ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

One of my sons and his partner are currently preparing for a trip to the Scottish Highlands and have bought an Omnia stove top 'oven'.
His partner was the one to get me interested in making sourdough bread and gave me some starter from the Oregon Trail yeast family (a fascinating history which can be found with the help of Madame Google).
Her first loaves came out of the Omnia looking pretty good to my eyes:

View attachment 55827

View attachment 55828

View attachment 55829

I really must get my act together and make some bread in the Moho.

Colin ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚
Looks good Colin. How long did thay take to bake. And how did thay taste. Gerry

Looks good Colin. How long did thay take to bake. And how did thay taste. Gerry

I'm told that the loaf tasted as good as those from the oven at home (they live in Aberdeen, I live in Hertfordshire), Gerry.
I don't know how long the baking took, nor how they knew how the temperature was going!
I posted this to show that bread can be made in lots of ways. All it takes is enterprise and effort.

Colin ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm sick to the back teeth with every time I try to make a simple loaf it turns out lovely and crispy on outside and playdo on the inside no matter what simple recipe I use, I think it's all a trick
try a supermarket bread mix . they're about 85p and i've made a lot of them ,they're very easy , and so far, they've always worked . may give you the incentive to keep on trying !

Looks like home-made bread may become more popular soon. Link

I suspected this was coming. Being a mad keen gardener, folk like me tend to keep a weather eye out and are far more aware of what's happening throughout the seasons, even though I'm not a farmer.

Perhaps Neil will stop laughing and congratulate me instead for buying in 1 x 25kg bag organic wholemeal spelt flour and 1 x 25kg bag of same in white from Sharpham Park Mill... (y);) ๐Ÿ˜‡

Suggest you stock up a little folks before there's another mad run on supplies (and inevitable price increases!).

It's no secret that I am a big fan of sourdough bread, both the process of mixing, rising and baking - and then eating!
One of the key stages in making sourdough bread is getting hold of the starter yeast (by gift or starting from scratch) and then keeping the starter in a condition such that it's able to ferment for subsequent loaves.
I keep four jars of starter yeast in the refrigerator and rotate the sample of starter I use - oldest first. I do this so that, should a jar of starter become contaminated with an unwanted organism and be unusable, I have more available. Rotating the starter in this way means that on average my starter is left in the refrigerator untouched for anything between about 2 and 4 weeks.
The perceived wisdom is that, if the starter isn't reused within a few days, then it must be fed with more flour and water, restarted, divided......and so on and on until it's used for bread making. I feel that messages like this may well put people off of trying to make this type of bread since it seems fiddly and time consuming.
I felt that it was definitely time for an experiment. Could I leave starter yeast in the refrigerator for more than 4 weeks untouched and still get good sourdough bread ?
So back on 14 June I set aside a jar of starter and have left it untouched in the refrigerator until making a sourdough loaf with it on 28th August. That's a time interval of about 11 weeks.
The resulting sourdough loaf (with added pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and golden linseed) is to my mind as tasty and attractive as ever:

IMG_20200901_083651.jpg

So in my view there's no need to fuss over sourdough starter yeast. Just keep it untouched in the refrigerator and use when it suits you.

Colin ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back