The Bread and Baking Thread

You're welcome buddy, glad you liked it. It looks great by the way. An extra 5 mins in the oven will probably darken it up & finish cooking the centre.
Last batch I made contained chopped dates & walnuts, as well as glace cherries & dried mixed fruit. Get creative & go crazy!
Good luck with your next batch....👍😉

Photo?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

View attachment 53743View attachment 53745
My last batch. Nearly all gone now, so probably doing some more shortly. Maybe cheese & jalapeño next, watch this space....😁

I think that I'll buy a smaller bread tin so that my loaves are deeper.
I also rather fancy making a really savoury version ........ cheese and onion ............ herb ............. feta and spinach .........

Having said this, I'm somewhat concerned that I'm going to become addicted and put on all the weight I've been working at losing over the past four months!

Colin :):):)

I have 3 tins & always make my recipe x3 so I aren't just putting the oven on for one loaf. Usually ma gets one & the other 2 get used here but just now we are getting all 3, which is nice....😋👍

Last edited:
If anyone wishes to source ingredients, I'd recommend Real Food Source of Musselburgh. Good prices, fast and cheap delivery, good product. I've had pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds from them and will be ordering other stuff in due course.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

We’ve just had Susie’s wholemeal seeded soda bread rolls with lunch. Very yummy!

View attachment 53781

They look absolutely brilliant, Bill. Congratulations to Susie.
I'm thinking that I should convert one of my loaves into a batch of rolls - something I've never done.
I was reflecting recently that here I am at 73 years old and just learning how to bake!
So much to learn, so little time.

Colin :):):)

Yesterday was a baking day.
Another date and walnut loaf à la GreggBear:

IMG_20200403_094817.jpg

....which tastes good.
I'm sufficiently confident that I'll continue with this recipe that I've bought another 1kg of walnuts and 1kg of dates!

...........And another sourdough loaf:

IMG_20200401_091529.jpg

I'm finding it difficult to source plain baking flour at the moment but have bread flour. Does anyone know if it's OK to use bread flour in soda bread? I imagine it is, since bread flour is simply flour made from wheat with a higher protein content, which leads to a higher gluten content during the bread making process - but I don't want to waste flour! I ask because I'd like to try Susie's recipe that Bill posted (see #10).

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I have used strong white bread flour in my soda bread & didn't notice any difference in results. Your soda bread looks great, plenty nuts in there...😋👍

I have used strong white bread flour in my soda bread & didn't notice any difference in results. Your soda bread looks great, plenty nuts in there...😋👍

Thanks for confirming, Gregg.
I'll give it a try and post the outcome here in due course.
I'm really chuffed with your recipe. It's quick, straight forward - and delicious!
Another question. I've been using coconut milk as per your recipe but haven't wanted to use it for anything else. Do you find that it keeps well in the fridge once opened? The destructions on the carton say use within 5 days once opened. I'm frankly not one to live by BBE guidance and am not usually concerned about using out of date products, depending on what it is and how it looks and smells. But I've no experience with coconut milk.........

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Thanks for confirming, Gregg.
I'll give it a try and post the outcome here in due course.
I'm really chuffed with your recipe. It's quick, straight forward - and delicious!
Another question. I've been using coconut milk as per your recipe but haven't wanted to use it for anything else. Do you find that it keeps well in the fridge once opened? The destructions on the carton say use within 5 days once opened. I'm frankly not one to live by BBE guidance and am not usually concerned about using out of date products, depending on what it is and how it looks and smells. But I've no experience with coconut milk.........

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I usually make batches of 3 loaves, so I find 2 tins of coconut milk, plus a splash of either ordinary milk or soya milk gives just the right amount, so I don't need to store any for later. Only other thing I use coconut milk in is homemade curry & always use the full tin there too...

Last edited:
If we manage to resist eating all the soda bread when it’s made Susie freezes it, so to avoid wasting ingredients you could make bigger batches and freeze some.

Today's offeringIMG_20200404_163709.jpgIMG_20200404_162638.jpg
The tin loaves are cherry, walnut, date, mixed dried peel & mixed dried fruit.
The round one is a savoury version, chopped jalapeños, chopped sundried tomatoes & chopped mature cheddar cheese.IMG_20200404_162747.jpg
All were made using mainly white plain flour as I have run out of wholemeal flour now, but they are all fine. Milk today was soya & lemon juice was used instead of cider vinegar. The savoury loaf was a resounding success & will be made as a full batch of 3 next time....

Today's offeringView attachment 53850View attachment 53851
The tin loaves are cherry, walnut, date, mixed dried peel & mixed dried fruit.
The round one is a savoury version, chopped jalapeños, chopped sundried tomatoes & chopped mature cheddar cheese.View attachment 53853
All were made using mainly white plain flour as I have run out of wholemeal flour now, but they are all fine. Milk today was soya & lemon juice was used instead of cider vinegar. The savoury loaf was a resounding success & will be made as a full batch of 3 next time....

They look absolutely brilliant, Gregg.
I must try a savoury loaf. The ingredients you've used appeal!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Today's sourdough loaf:

IMG_20200407_080629.jpg

I baked this one a little longer to get a darker crust.
Methinks my next loaf will be a savoury soda bread.
Do we have any recent converts to home cooked bread out there?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back