The Bread and Baking Thread

no flour anywhere that i can access . which is a shame as i fancy this View attachment 53890View attachment 53891 it appeals to my inner child

Wow - Rainbow bread!
It appeals to this little boy too.
Go for it, Nigel.
BTW, I was in an Indian grocer's shop in Luton buying curry ingredients yesterday and they were far, far better stocked than our local supermarkets. Cooking oil, flour, rice, pasta..... some in 15kg sacks. Might be worth a visit to something similar in your area?

Colin 🙂 🙂🙂

My local Asian mini market had 1 bag of plain flour on the shelf yesterday, desperate as I was I bought it. Didn't realise till he'd rung it in, he was charging £2.39 for it!
Just to put it in perspective, my local Coop, the dearest shop in the village, had some on the shelf & theirs was 68p a bag. There are 2 Asian shops in the village, both are blatantly profiteering now. Disgraceful in my opinion, won't be using either again now....😡

Yesterday's bread.IMG_20200406_154029.jpgIMG_20200406_154024.jpgIMG_20200406_154033.jpg
Made a batch of 3 loaves. Run out of wholemeal flour so I made them with just plain flour.
Sun dried tomatoes
Jalapeño chilli's
Mature cheddar
Everyone who tried it reckons it could be the best one yet!...😋

Yes,I'm a convert. I've decided to have a go with Gregg's recipes as it looks to be an easy starter for a novice!
I couldn't get wholemeal flour but will now give it a try with plain instead.
It will be tomorrow as I've just finished a baking session - grandson ordered a victoria sandwich with a treat on the top!
;) That would be something chocolate I'm guessing.

Today's sourdough loaf:

View attachment 53885

I baked this one a little longer to get a darker crust.
Methinks my next loaf will be a savoury soda bread.
Do we have any recent converts to home cooked bread out there?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Hi Colin.

Julie has always cooked bread at home with great success. I used to make either Bannock or beer bread whilst tent camping in Scotland, it saved me going into towns for bread which I cannot live without.
I used to take a few cans of lager for the beer bread as I couldn't bear to waste good bitter!

Whilst we are locked down I might give it a go again, maybe in the Dutch oven in the garden.

Hi Colin.

Julie has always cooked bread at home with great success. I used to make either Bannock or beer bread whilst tent camping in Scotland, it saved me going into towns for bread which I cannot live without.
I used to take a few cans of lager for the beer bread as I couldn't bear to waste good bitter!

Whilst we are locked down I might give it a go again, maybe in the Dutch oven in the garden.

It's good to have someone with experience joining the thread, Rob.
I'd really appreciate you posting some photos of your method (especially the Dutch oven) and recipes in due course.
I've never heard of Bannock or beer bread before!
I've lead a sheltered life or wot?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Has anybody made there own buttermilk. Struggling to get buttermilk. I'm an old fart and don't do online shopping whatever that is 😀 I seen a recipe for 1 cup of milk. 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Let sit for 30 min. And can store in fridge for 3 days. Any help appreciated. Gerry

I mix my own when I make soda bread. 300ml of milk, either dairy or non dairy, usually either soya or coconut milk, then add 1 tbsp of either cider vinegar or lemon juice. I usually mix it just as I use it as it seems to react instantly & certainly works well in my bread....

I mix my own when I make soda bread. 300ml of milk, either dairy or non dairy, usually either soya or coconut milk, then add 1 tbsp of either cider vinegar or lemon juice. I usually mix it just as I use it as it seems to react instantly & certainly works well in my bread....

+ one.

I can vouch for the fact that it works well in Gregg's recipe (I made one to Gregg's recipe this morning). There's absolutely no need to make any more than you need for the loaf in hand. I think that the important ratio is bicarbonate of soda to acid (I'm using white wine vinegar at the moment because that's what's in the house).
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to one tablespoon of acid seems to be what most soda bread recipes use.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

This may be of interest for bread making enthusiasts. It has lots of links to recipes within the BBC Food site.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I had planned to make a plain soda bread loaf today but my will power collapsed at the last moment and I reverted to Gregg's date and walnut loaf recipe:

IMG_20200409_121322.jpg

I'm actually getting a little concerned about this habit of mine. Does anyone know of a date and walnut loaf support group? Or perchance a D&WL Anon group?
I've made the first step in recognising I have a problem and am prepared for step two..........."Hello, my name is Colin and I have a problem with date and walnut loaf".

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Looks great Colin, but unfortunately I can tell you categorically there is no help group, no salvation, & no respite!
Its only a matter of time now before you're heavily hitting candied peel & glace cherries!
I feel your pain my friend, that's how it got me... Oh the curse of the soda loaf!😖👍

200g plain flour
150g wholemeal flour
50g oats
1tsp salt
1tsp bicarb
1tbsp lemon juice or cider apple vinegar
300ml any non dairy milk (coconut milk is great)
Add a few chopped nuts & dried fruit to taste
Mix everything into a sticky dough then put into a loaf tin or make a round loaf on a baking tray dusted with a bit of flour.
Bake at 200deg for 30 mins
Enjoy with some quality butter...😋
View attachment 53632
Made this today and added some dried fruit. Maybe a wee bit sweet but loved it. Just back from a walk. And was thinking about baking a cake. Colin if you find a group I will join you at the class. Hi my name's Gerry

Made this today and added some dried fruit. Maybe a wee bit sweet but loved it. Just back from a walk. And was thinking about baking a cake. Colin if you find a group I will join you at the class. Hi my name's Gerry

Hi Gerry. Welcome to the world of bread-making.
I blame the Germans and my daughter-in-law for my addiction to sourdough bread and Gregg for my addiction to date and walnut soda bread.
It seems that you're suffering in a similar way!
Some photos of your loaves would be appreciated so that we can all benefit from your experience.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I love the look of sourdough bread but it's not to my liking. Pity cause it all looks great. Gregs recipe. Was My first shot at soda bread looked nice but was. Well to be kind to me. Not nice it was too doughy. Think I took to long to mix it up and get it in the oven second one I did was better. First pick was my prototype. And didn't even want to feed it to the birds as thay might not have taken of if eaten. Second one was better. And tasted good. Thanks for all your tips and recipes. Gerry

IMG_20200406_180618.jpgIMG_20200409_125442.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back