No Yeast Flatbread
Ingredients
  • 200g/7oz plain or wholemeal flour
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 100ml/3½fl oz warm water
  • 2 tbsp oil (olive, sunflower or vegetable), plus extra for cooking
Recipe tips
Method
  1. Kid’s job: Place the flour and salt in a large bowl and trickle on the water bit by bit.
  1. Kid’s job: Mix the water and flour together. Kids can mix using one finger so that they don’t get a whole hand covered in dough. Doughy hands can be cleaned by rubbing a little more flour onto the hands over another bowl or the bin - resist the urge to wash doughy hands as you will block the drain!
  1. Kid’s job: Add the oil and knead the dough - you are aiming for a soft dough. If it is too sticky add a little more flour, if it is too dry add a splash of water.
  1. Kid’s job: Knead the dough for five minutes - kids can do this in the bowl or on a clean surface using one or two hands.
  1. You can cook the breads straight away or leave the dough to stand for about half an hour. This is a good time to make a quick filling such as a grated salad or dip.
  1. Kid’s job: Divide the dough into four balls, or six if you have a smaller frying pan.
  1. Kid’s job: On a clean surface, roll each ball of dough one at a time using a rolling pin. If you pick up and move round the flatbread often you know it hasn’t stuck. (You may need to sprinkle a little flour on the surface but only use a little - too much will dry out the dough.) Don’t worry if they aren’t perfect circles!
  1. Adult’s job: Heat a large frying pan. Take a sheet of kitchen paper and rub a little oil onto the surface of the pan. Cook each flatbread for about two minutes on one side - it should puff up a little.
  1. Adult’s job: Flip the flatbread over using tongs and then cook for a couple of minutes on the other side. The flatbread should have turned lighter in colour and may have a few spots of brown.
10. Keep the cooked flatbreads warm, wrapped in foil or a clean tea towel, until the others are cooked.
  1. If you want crisp flatbreads you can now rub them with a little olive oil, chop into strips or triangles with scissors and then ask an adult to bake them for 5-10 minutes, or until crisp.

@jagmanx thanks for that but can I just ask something, how practical/easy would it be to substitute thick fingered adult in the van for kid at home? I am fairly sure I couldn’t train either dog to do it with a claw.
I think the only things mentioned that I carry currently are oil and water lol. Can roll with a jar or bottle though and I do have some table salt somewhere (would ground sea salt work in the same way it does in butter?)

I am not particularly dextrous..
But I can manage.
Just measure/get things out ready.
Take care that flour especially wet flour does not get everywhere.
The Paratha mix is probably easier to manage !
Yes can flatten with hands and and an emptywine bottle. No need to fuss with yeast.
Keep salt to a minimum I use margarine rather than butter and with the paratha ....spread oil when folding and rolling out.
A sensible sized frying pan is fine for cooking.

Thanks for the information, Sue.
Everyone making sourdough bread has surplus starter and your idea of using it to make pancakes is a really good tip.
Any chance of a recipe?
And are you aware of any other uses for surplus starter?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Pizza!
Sourdough blinis for smoked salmon canapes as you mix in those circles 😍

Sourdough pancakes, adjusted to our taste (less sugar!), it's half the original to make 4-6 pancakes, have frozen them too which seems to work;

1 American cup (8fl oz) fresh sourdough starter
1 egg
1tbsp oil
1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarb to us)
1/2 tbsp sugar, granulated works fine

Mix together and off you go!

If you're collecting information and equipment prior to making sourdough bread later in the spring, Rog, I'd recommend getting your first sample of starter from someone already in production.
I'd be happy to pass some on but I'm not quite sure when we'll meet up.
On the other hand, if it helps, I could post some to you........

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I have dried some of my starter, could bring to Hereford, there's plenty of You tube clips on how to reconstitute

Soda bread
(Maybe divide into small enough flatbreads (6?) and try on a skillet)
Ingredients
  • 200 g plain white flour
  • 150 g wholemeal flour
  • 50 g oats plus extra to scatter on top
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda see note
  • 300 ml neutral tasting dairy free milk see note (tried Soy)
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice, or white wine vinegar – see note)

Method
  1. Preheat your oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F. Dust a baking tray (I actually use a pizza tray) with a little plain flour.
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients together thoroughly. Add the oat milk and vinegar, and stir to combine.
  3. Keep stirring until the ingredients come together as a dough, then squidge together to form a ball.
  4. Place the ball of dough on your baking tray and cut a deep cross in the centre. This is really important as it helps the centre of the bread to cook properly – so cut nice and deep, almost to the bottom.
  5. If you wish, you can dust the loaf with a little flour and a sprinkle of oats, then place the bread in your preheated oven for 30 minutes.
  6. Serve with soup or salad or anything else you fancy! (And don’t forget it makes great toast the next day…)

The first Colin version of Aussie Damper is out of the oven:

IMG_20191229_125959.jpg

I used a mixture of self raising white flour and wholemeal flour. I couldn't find any self raising wholemeal flour so added 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda per 100gm of wholemeal flour to make it self raising. I should have spent more time shaping before baking! It was quick to mix and bake and the resulting texture, I suppose not surprisingly, is somewhat like a scone:

IMG_20191229_174041.jpg

It was OK with the home made soup last evening providing it was slathered with butter. Today it's got a more agreeable texture and makes a brilliant 'slice of scone' - so that's how I had it:

IMG_20191230_101901.jpg

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Well today I purchased my strong white flour and my dry yeast so I am part way there but I have to get rid of my cold before I start my bread making 👍

Well today I purchased my strong white flour and my dry yeast so I am part way there but I have to get rid of my cold before I start my bread making 👍

I'm looking forward to your bread photos, Annie. And I'm absolutely confident that Bill is looking forward to your bread too.
I hope that your cold goes away soon.

Colin :):):)

Today's sourdough loaf:

IMG_20200207_092450.jpg

Has anyone else got some photos of their bread to post?
I'm gradually getting into a bread-making routine that fits around whatever I'm doing as opposed to me arranging my day around the need to mix, rise, prove and bake.
BTW, I'd recommend realfoodsource.com of Musselburgh for a great range of seeds at a particularly good price. I've just received 2kg of pumpkin seeds and 2kg of bakers grade sunflower seeds for £17.43 delivered. Orders over £50 attract free delivery.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I won’t be doing sour dough for some reason it always gives me heartburn. 🙁

I won’t be doing sour dough for some reason it always gives me heartburn. 🙁

Lots of folk don't like sourdough bread, Annie.
That's why - as you already know - there's so many alternatives to bake!
I'm focusing on sourdough at the moment simply because I really like it (and have since encountering it in the GDR when the wall was dismantled).
I plan to try making some flatbread soon (see the posts from the experts above) because I feel that would be a doddle to make in the Moho.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Please show the sourdough when cut have had good and bad results for no apparent reason looking for holes in those splendid looking loafs

Soda bread
(Maybe divide into small enough flatbreads (6?) and try on a skillet)
Ingredients
  • 200 g plain white flour
  • 150 g wholemeal flour
  • 50 g oats plus extra to scatter on top
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda see note
  • 300 ml neutral tasting dairy free milk see note (tried Soy)
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice, or white wine vinegar – see note)

Method
  1. Preheat your oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F. Dust a baking tray (I actually use a pizza tray) with a little plain flour.
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients together thoroughly. Add the oat milk and vinegar, and stir to combine.
  3. Keep stirring until the ingredients come together as a dough, then squidge together to form a ball.
  4. Place the ball of dough on your baking tray and cut a deep cross in the centre. This is really important as it helps the centre of the bread to cook properly – so cut nice and deep, almost to the bottom.
  5. If you wish, you can dust the loaf with a little flour and a sprinkle of oats, then place the bread in your preheated oven for 30 minutes.
  6. Serve with soup or salad or anything else you fancy! (And don’t forget it makes great toast the next day…)

I don't like soy milk or soy products, but I did this recipe with oat milk the other day and it tasted pretty damn good.

Got the recipe from here, assume it's the same place you got yours? Haven't looked at the other recipes on this site, but if they all turn out as good as the soda bread recipe it may be worth looking around.

https://www.easypeasyfoodie.com/no-buttermilk-soda-bread-vegan-dairy-free/

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back