The Bread and Baking Thread

Please show the sourdough when cut have had good and bad results for no apparent reason looking for holes in those splendid looking loafs

This is the loaf I made yesterday, showing the inside:

IMG_20200208_095534.jpg

The holes can be a bit variable at this time of the year. I think this is because it's more difficult to keep the temperature during rising and proving the same from loaf to loaf.
Hopefully Sue (Moonshadow) will be along soon to offer advice - she's been making sourdough for some time and is far more knowledgeable than me.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I don't like soy milk or soy products, but I did this recipe with oat milk the other day and it tasted pretty damn good.

Got the recipe from here, assume it's the same place you got yours? Haven't looked at the other recipes on this site, but if they all turn out as good as the soda bread recipe it may be worth looking around.

https://www.easypeasyfoodie.com/no-buttermilk-soda-bread-vegan-dairy-free/

I've had a look over the site - it's very interesting, Marie.
Did you make this as a loaf or, as Jagmanx suggested, as flatbread?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Further to post#47
The first batch were not great as croissants and too small.
Thus I have used the 2nd batch to make "mincemeat turnovers"
Using a small cereal bowl to cut the pastry into circles then mince meat on one half and turn the other half on top.
I made 4 such turnovers (a bit like my rugby skills really !) Brush with milk. about 10 mins cooking !

Yes ! Yes ! Yes !

Last edited:
View attachment 53059
Last batch of soda bread. Used soya milk in this batch.

Great looking loaves here and at post #45, GreggBear.
I've reduced my milk intake quite a bit over the past 6 months so it's good to see that the usual milk substitutes work well in soda bread.
I'll try something similar in due course.

Colin :):):)

Last edited:
Great looking loaves here and at post #45, GreggBear.
I've reduced my milk intake quite a bit over the past 6 months so it's good to see that the usual milk substitutes work well in soda bread.
I'll try something similar in due course.

The soya loaves were lovely, enjoyed by all who tried them but the coconut ones were outstanding! Definately my new favourite bread. Jenn's experimenting with gluten free flour options now, so watch this space....

Anybody interested in a Bran loaf, not a bread type loaf but more of a tea loaf. Very simple to make but nice sliced with a bit of butter?

I'm interested!
Do we pm you our addresses so that you can post it to us?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back