The Bread and Baking Thread

Looks good Colin can you taste the coconut milk. As I'm not sure about the taste

No, the coconut milk isn't noticeable as a flavour at all, Gerry. The 'milk' I've used is branded Alpro and has 5.3% coconut milk plus some coconut cream in it - so probably about 6% coconut overall. My next experiment will be with almond 'milk' branded Rude Health. That only has 1% almond in it and rice is higher up the ingredient list!
I have to say that I prefer the more moist texture I've got from using ~360ml coconut milk - so I'll most likely be using similar in future.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Colin, You could do with a bit of weed and feed on that lawn.

Paul

I can't see a problem, Paul. Weeds are green. Moss is green. And both need a lot less cutting than grass.
In any case my green space (it would contravene the trade descriptions act to use the word lawn in the same sentence as my green space) has a diverse mix of green fauna incorporated within it. It even has the odd blade of grass.
Think ancient woodland.
Think biodiversity.
Lesser lawns are more akin to a green desert in my view. Horrible monocultures.
I'm confident that future generations will come to think of me as a saviour of fauna that's been sadly derided and exterminated by other 'gardeners'.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

So here’s my first effort using Greggbear‘s recipe ........... came out well and won’t last long 😂😂

View attachment 54115

Val
That looks really good, Dave! The top looks nicely rounded - something that's evaded me so far.
Does your delivery radius include Hertfordshire?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

That looks really good, Dave! The top looks nicely rounded - something that's evaded me so far.
Does your delivery radius include Hertfordshire?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I can take no credit whatsoever Colin, (apart from the photo), Val did the baking. We’ve now finally got some yeast so watch this space. Delivery to Hertfordshire is somewhat problematic though 🤣🤣

No, the coconut milk isn't noticeable as a flavour at all, Gerry. The 'milk' I've used is branded Alpro and has 5.3% coconut milk plus some coconut cream in it - so probably about 6% coconut overall. My next experiment will be with almond 'milk' branded Rude Health. That only has 1% almond in it and rice is higher up the ingredient list!
I have to say that I prefer the more moist texture I've got from using ~360ml coconut milk - so I'll most likely be using similar in future.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
Thanks for info Colin. Seems the men are taking over from the girls. Right girls let's see your baking pics

Thanks for info Colin. Seems the men are taking over from the girls. Right girls let's see your baking pics

To be fair, Bill posted a photo of Susie's work earlier.
But yes, let's see more photos of the the ladie's loaves!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Managed to get hold of some more buttermilk, although flour still seems problematical. So attempt number 2 using Susie's recipe.

IMG_5599.jpeg
I tried to be more accurate with the measures this time and also tried to be prompt mixing and getting in the oven

Result is better than the first attempt and no broken teeth this time. Taste is improved. I shall have another go later in the week to build on this foundation before going onto the intermediate and advanced level recipes.

Paul.

Managed to get hold of some more buttermilk, although flour still seems problematical. So attempt number 2 using Susie's recipe.

View attachment 54140
I tried to be more accurate with the measures this time and also tried to be prompt mixing and getting in the oven

Result is better than the first attempt and no broken teeth this time. Taste is improved. I shall have another go later in the week to build on this foundation before going onto the intermediate and advanced level recipes.

Paul.

Looks good to me, Paul.
Well done!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

This morning I've baked a plain sourdough loaf:

IMG_20200423_172110.jpg

..... and a date and walnut loaf:

IMG_20200424_083007.jpg

The date and walnut loaf was made with about 60% of the quantities listed in GreggBear's recipe and baked in a 1lb. loaf tin. So I've got a smaller loaf - which satisfies the stomach but hopefy doesn't completely ruin the waist line. It's also risen more in the middle. Could that be because I preheated the oven?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Thay look great. How did that taste

The sourdough is great, Gerry. It's plain in the sense that this one hasn't got any seeds in it.
The date and walnut loaf is dangerously good. I particularly like it with just butter (though for me that means non-dairy spread) and possibly strawberry conserve together with coffee under a (currently) blue sky!
Happy days.

Colin :):):)

The sourdough is great, Gerry. It's plain in the sense that this one hasn't got any seeds in it.
The date and walnut loaf is dangerously good. I particularly like it with just butter (though for me that means non-dairy spread) and possibly strawberry conserve together with coffee under a (currently) blue sky!
Happy days.

Colin :):):)
You paint a nice picture. I have said before I don't like sourdough bread. I got one in the lake District last year. It looked great but it wasn't to my liking. Now I have to make a confession. Was in Tesco the other day bought a nice bloomer loaf and lived it. When throwing the paper bag out I read it and it said sourdough bloomer. Yes I did laugh when I seen it. And if I had seen it when buying I would have out it back. So looks like I will have to make one. Been very lazy the past three days. Only been cutting family's grass. And some old pensioner's grass. As council aren't doing it the now. Gerry

Today's batch of soda bread.
2 end ones are date,walnut, & mixed dried fruit
Large one in the middle is jalapeño, sundried tomato, & extra mature cheddar cheese...View attachment 54270

Now there's a coincidence.
Today's soda bread with date, walnut and sultanas:

IMG_20200428_164207.jpg

I'm close to finishing a plain sourdough loaf, after which I'll be making a savoury soda loaf of some description.
This is a great way to enjoy at least some of the lockdown - and I mean both making and consuming!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back