The Bread and Baking Thread

Today's soda loaf is out of the oven:

IMG_20200506_105937.jpg

This one is made to the recipe and method I listed in post #167 plus:

50g chopped walnuts.
50g glacé cherry halves.
100g dried mixed fruit.

It's very tasty indeed and is going down very well under a clear blue sky accompanied by a cup of decent coffee.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Have made soda bread several times now using Suisse recipe. Butter milk is not always available or a large carton is substituted. Had excess left at use by date so froze and used this week. Seems to have worked ok.
How do people store their soda bread ? On the first day my bread is crusty/crunchy on top which is great. If I then store in airtight Tupperware, the next day the bread is soft and leathery to chew, whilst perfectly edible.
I know an answer maybe to eat it all on the day, whilst nice it’s not good for the waistline!

Paul

Today's soda loaf is out of the oven:

View attachment 54347

This one is made to the recipe and method I listed in post #167 plus:

50g chopped walnuts.
50g glacé cherry halves.
100g dried mixed fruit.

It's very tasty indeed and is going down very well under a clear blue sky accompanied by a cup of decent coffee.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
Looks great Colin. Be a good boy and cut me a slice. And pass it over. ☕

Have made soda bread several times now using Suisse recipe. Butter milk is not always available or a large carton is substituted. Had excess left at use by date so froze and used this week. Seems to have worked ok.
How do people store their soda bread ? On the first day my bread is crusty/crunchy on top which is great. If I then store in airtight Tupperware, the next day the bread is soft and leathery to chew, whilst perfectly edible.
I know an answer maybe to eat it all on the day, whilst nice it’s not good for the waistline!

Paul

We eat what we want on the first day then freeze the rest in the appropriate portion size. Take out of freezer in morning for lunch and then wrap in kitchen roll and give it a quick warm in the microwave.....on a low setting.

Paul

I find it keeps well in the fridge, Paul.
I wrap it fairly tightly in a plastic bag to exclude most of the air. The crust doesn't stay as crisp as it is when it comes out of the oven but it's really not bad at all, even after 3 or 4 days (at the moment there's only me eating it and I'm trying to lose weight). It's certainly not 'soft and leathery'. Are you sure that you're not eating the Tupperware box by mistake?
You may want to adjust the recipe to suit your needs - as you'll see in the posts above, I've modified my soda bread recipe quite a bit.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Morrison’s supermarket where we are in Letchworth is selling wholewheat and self-raising flour in 16kg bags at £9. They have also split them into paper bags for sale in 1kg weight. I suppose you could ask at the bakery department in other stored just incase they will do it too

Morrison’s supermarket where we are in Letchworth is selling wholewheat and self-raising flour in 16kg bags at £9. They have also split them into paper bags for sale in 1kg weight. I suppose you could ask at the bakery department in other stored just incase they will do it too

Thanks for the information, silverweed. Strangely enough, I cycled up to Letchworth last Friday but didn't think of popping into Morrison's. I'll check out our local Morrison's.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

We got the same from our Morrisons in Tiverton, plain flour 16kg for £9

The latest soda loaves are:

IMG_20200512_100854.jpg

.......a mixed fruit loaf made to the recipe and method in post #167 with 200g of dried mixed fruit incorporated in it. To my taste it's delicious and one of the best I've made to date.

IMG_20200512_101031.jpg

......... and a savoury loaf made to the recipe and method posted at #167 . This one has a tablespoon of dried Italian style herbs and 2 teaspoons of mild chilli powder added to the dry mix. I used mild chilli hoping to get not just the heat of chilli but also the flavour. It's good, with the distinct flavour of chilli as intended, but I'll use a little more mild chilli powder next time in order to turn up the heat a smidgen.

I hope that others in our community are enjoying baking as and when they can during lockdown. I find it very relaxing, a great learning experience and altogether most enjoyable - especially when it comes to the quality assessment stage.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

We have struggled to get bread flour so we (royal we, just Maggy to be honest) have been making lighter bread but I bit the bullet and bought 16kg of bread flour from Amazon, £16.99 with free delivery so they are not ripping anyone off, I wanted to try it before posting a link but it is excellent, the only ratings lower than 5 stars are because it arrived with the flour bag damaged, no complaints about the quality and I recommend it

We have struggled to get bread flour so we (royal we, just Maggy to be honest) have been making lighter bread but I bit the bullet and bought 16kg of bread flour from Amazon, £16.99 with free delivery so they are not ripping anyone off, I wanted to try it before posting a link but it is excellent, the only ratings lower than 5 stars are because it arrived with the flour bag damaged, no complaints about the quality and I recommend it

Thanks for that, Tezza,. That's really useful information, and a good price.
What kind of bread does Maggy make? Some photos would be appreciated if she"s OK with that.
I'm still learning (and will be for a very long time!) so any input really is gratefully received.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

ok , 2nd attempt at the japanese milk loaf . got the flour from the asian shop, they're bagging their own , looked a bit yellow and the consistency was different , but very tasty. 3 tbsp sugar made it a bit sweet, so i'll cut that down next time . be lovely with sultanas in it toasted as a tea bread ! 002.JPG004.JPG

ok , 2nd attempt at the japanese milk loaf . got the flour from the asian shop, they're bagging their own , looked a bit yellow and the consistency was different , but very tasty. 3 tbsp sugar made it a bit sweet, so i'll cut that down next time . be lovely with sultanas in it toasted as a tea bread ! View attachment 54457View attachment 54458

That looks better than good, Nigel!
Judging from the photo it looks as if you've really cracked the shaping and texture. Most impressive.
Could it be that a Japanese milk loaf benefits from flour bought in an Asian shop?
I'm looking forward to seeing the version with sultanas.

Colin :):):)

Maggy makes
What kind of bread does Maggy make? Some photos would be appreciated if she"s OK with that.
She has been experimenting with all kinds of bread and rolls, we have a sourdough starter on the go, we like fougasse and because we have been busy it has been easy to make but we are going to try some of the recipes on this thread, photos will follow

If anyone has an Amazon Kindle or just the APP on their laptop there is a free Kindle book to download

51sdlvO76VL.jpg

That looks better than good, Nigel!
Judging from the photo it looks as if you've really cracked the shaping and texture. Most impressive.
Could it be that a Japanese milk loaf benefits from flour bought in an Asian shop?
I'm looking forward to seeing the version with sultanas.

Colin :):):)
cheers Colin , re- sultana bread, i'm looking forward to eating it !
reckon i'll give this recipe another couple of goes , i like to be able to just make a recipe without thinking, so practice ! i prefer the last flour for texture , Bero, but will take what i can get

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back