The Bread and Baking Thread

Again a slight divergence from bread, Susie has her first attempt at bread rolls planned for the weekend after getting some yeast. The baking this week has been Viennese Whirls, Mini Victoria Sponges and I’ve had some crumpet too.

View attachment 54527View attachment 54528View attachment 54529

Wow! That's an impressive collection of loveliness, Bill. Frankly I'm always in awe of those operating at a skill level so much higher than mine. Please pass on my congratulations to Susie.
No problem at all including baking other than bread. Perhaps the thread title needs a tweek?
I've been baking this week but have also been tied up with sunshine. Tomorrow I'll endeavour to catch up with a post in the thread.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Reactions: 2cv
Is there a yeast shortage?
i have these sachets if anyone desperate I can post them to you.
View attachment 54542

That's a really kind and generous offer, Aly. It's selfless acts of friendship like that that makes this community so special.
I have enough for my immediate needs, thank you.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Is there a yeast shortage?
i have these sachets if anyone desperate I can post them to you. [...]
Thank you so much for the offer -- it is really appreciated. However, we still have about 50g of Allinson's Easybake left from the 200g we started the lockdown with. So I'll leave your kind offer for someone more desperate. FWIW, we also have had a box of the Morrison's on order with Amazon for over a fortnight -- but don't know when that'll become available. Thanks again.

I had to double check who's recipe i did in fact use - couldnt remember !!

In fact it was a variation of the one put up by Jaggymax but instead of the mix of flours i used just strong bread flour.
The loaf needed a bit longer in the oven & a larger slash up the middle as i had a small part cooked dough in the middle.
But I live and learn - for the next time !!

Over the weekend i had my first attempt at making bread using yeast - it was fun !!
Somehow didnt get the amounts quite correct as i used 1 2lb recipe & simply halved the amount to try for a 1lb loaf
I did the whole dough making Saturday & put it in the fridge to prove.
Was very impressed by how much it had risen !!
I then took it out of the fridge & left it to continue to prove overnight overnight.
In the morning I came into the kitchen and i was gobsmacked by the size of the dough - huge !
I simply cut the dough, kneaded it again and made two loaves - one plain & one cheese.
Very happy with how these turned out in the end.

IMG_20200531_122000605[1].jpgIMG_20200531_122554249[1].jpg

Over the weekend i had my first attempt at making bread using yeast - it was fun !!
Somehow didnt get the amounts quite correct as i used 1 2lb recipe & simply halved the amount to try for a 1lb loaf
I then took it out of the fridge & left it to continue to prove overnight overnight.
In the morning I came into the kitchen and i was gobsmacked by the size of the dough - huge !
I simply cut the dough, kneaded it again and made two loaves - one plain & one cheese.

View attachment 54691View attachment 54692

You have some very good looking (and I suspect good tasting!) loaves there.
The cheese loaf sounds particularly appealing. Is there any chance you could post your loaf recipe and also what type and how much cheese you used?
I've also been experimenting recently - I'll be posting more in the coming days.
Keep up the good work!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

View attachment 54691View attachment 54692
Great looking loafs some want the recipe. If you are ever looking for someone to taste them. I'm your man. And asked first.

I finally found the recipe that i used - it was a straightforward one from BBC good food site
500g strong bread flour
7g instant yeast ( Fermipan)
1 teaspoon salt
350mm water (with 1 teaspoon of sugar added)

Proved the dough overnight then cut it into two batches
I simply added grated cheddar (all i had) and mixed it into the dough at last stage

Now today I had another try with same recipe - but this time it all went into a single 1lb tin

Boy - did it rise - I had a huge struggle to get it out of the oven !!!

IMG_20200603_174353347.jpgIMG_20200603_174406641.jpgIMG_20200603_174522594.jpg

I finally found the recipe that i used - it was a straightforward one from BBC good food site
500g strong bread flour
7g instant yeast ( Fermipan)
1 teaspoon salt
350mm water (with 1 teaspoon of sugar added)

Proved the dough overnight then cut it into two batches
I simply added grated cheddar (all i had) and mixed it into the dough at last stage

Now today I had another try with same recipe - but this time it all went into a single 1lb tin

Boy - did it rise - I had a huge struggle to get it out of the oven !!!

View attachment 54703View attachment 54704View attachment 54705

Looks great. Susie‘s been trying that recipe for rolls but will bake for 10 to 15 mins instead of the 25 in the recipe next time. She thinks that for a loaf a 2 lb bread tin would be better for a loaf.
How long did you bake for?

My favourite bread by far is what my family just refer to as "German Bread" (seems to be a common preference for Breads from Germany in this thread).
Have only really found the 'genuine' article in, not surprisingly, Germany. Tried various different shops and the closest I have found is at Waitrose from, IIRC, 'The Village Bakery'.
As far as I know it is a Rye Bread and a heavy bread. And one notable difference is it just doesn't go mouldy! unlike the typical bread load made by UK and loved by consumers that go green in days, the "German Bread" I like just doees go mouldy, just goes hard eventually.

So if anyone knows where to buy (or how to make?) this bread it would be mega! A picture below of what the sort of bread I am talking about looks like ...

iu
think lidle have it.........

Looks great. Susie‘s been trying that recipe for rolls but will bake for 10 to 15 mins instead of the 25 in the recipe next time. She thinks that for a loaf a 2 lb bread tin would be better for a loaf.
How long did you bake for?
I am happy that the above amount made a decent size1lb loaf.
The loaf was in for 30 mins @ gas mark 6 but i had a problem
The shelf was in the middle of the oven, the loaf rose so much that i had to part remove the shelf & force it down to get the loaf out !!
When i checked the loaf was very dark at one end - nearest the back
The shelf was lowered & loaf was given another 7 mins.
Very happy with the result as it has a great crust and very soft inner.

Gonna get both white & wholemeal bread flour tomorrow

I am happy that the above amount made a decent size1lb loaf.
The loaf was in for 30 mins @ gas mark 6 but i had a problem
The shelf was in the middle of the oven, the loaf rose so much that i had to part remove the shelf & force it down to get the loaf out !!
When i checked the loaf was very dark at one end - nearest the back
The shelf was lowered & loaf was given another 7 mins.
Very happy with the result as it has a great crust and very soft inner.

Gonna get both white & wholemeal bread flour tomorrow

Certainly looks good. Hope the rolls are as good at the weekend, perhaps using 200 (gas mark 6 like you) this time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back