The Bread and Baking Thread

Here’s Susie’s flatbread.

View attachment 57373

And recipe

View attachment 57374

I love it with the nigella seeds with a curry.
Will need to try this. I made nan bread. Let's be kind. Was crap. Yesterday I made pancakes. Not very good. Ok. Not crap. But not good. Think IL stick to my soup making. But will give it a go. And Colin before you say I should put pics up. There's enough laughing at me the now. But IL keep going will report back on my next attempt ps. Think my nan bread could be a runner for a cure for covid. It pulled all my internal organs all over the place eating it and IL leave the other end out. Of the post :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Ready for later rosemary and sun dried tom.
Just got to cover with cheese and grill.
Is the loaf made at home or in the Moho, or is it a bought-in loaf that you'll finish under the grill as you describe?
It looks good!

Colin :):):)

In the static same cooker as moho.
We make all our own bread fresh. Home or traveling.
Not in france or spain or portugal .😂😂
Any chance of posting a recipe or two?
You've clearly got plenty of experience of bread making.
To date I've only made flat bread in the Moho - and enjoyed that immensely!

Any chance of posting a recipe or two?
You've clearly got plenty of experience of bread making.
To date I've only made flat bread in the Moho - and enjoyed that immensely!

It's 500g bread flour, I use 250g white and 250g rustic country brown flour, TSP sugar, TSP salt, about 2 tablespoon of olive oil, packet quick yeast, 300ml look warm water, add all together and knead for 5-10 minutes, leave to rise with a tea towel over for approx 1-2 hours, then knock it back, this is knead again for a couple of minutes and place on your baking tray, allow it to rise again somewhere warm with tea towel over then bake for about 30 minutes, shorter if you make smaller loaves like in the picture. Add different flavours in with dry mix before first kneading if you wish, sun dried tomatoes or herbs or we've tried chopped chorizo, delicious.

Decided to make carrot cake for first time. Used cup cake Gemma carrot cake loaf. But decided to make two:eek: everything to the recipe. Well ( yes it's coming) 30 minutes in looked at my carrot cake loads. And in the oven was carrot mount Etna loafs. Thank god thr was a tray in the bottom the smell was great. If your waiting on more praise for me look away now. How did it look. Let's be kind. Not very good. How did it taste. Well apart from the top sides and bottom ok. Not been to critical on myself. 🤣🤣 it was a bit oily at the bottom. It reminds me of my school report card. Easily distracted must try harder. And IL stop there. Was going to feed it to the bidsbut thought the SPCA would be at my door or twitchers everywhere looking at the new dodo. But decided to bin it.Question is it time to give up. Be truthful.

Decided to make carrot cake for first time. Used cup cake Gemma carrot cake loaf. But decided to make two:eek: everything to the recipe. Well ( yes it's coming) 30 minutes in looked at my carrot cake loads. And in the oven was carrot mount Etna loafs. Thank god thr was a tray in the bottom the smell was great. If your waiting on more praise for me look away now. How did it look. Let's be kind. Not very good. How did it taste. Well apart from the top sides and bottom ok. Not been to critical on myself. 🤣🤣 it was a bit oily at the bottom. It reminds me of my school report card. Easily distracted must try harder. And IL stop there. Was going to feed it to the bidsbut thought the SPCA would be at my door or twitchers everywhere looking at the new dodo. But decided to bin it.Question is it time to give up. Be truthful.
Noooooooo. Don't give up!

Everyone has problem bakes. even those that have been baking for years. And I suspect that you're being very hard on yourself.
I've found that several recipes didn't work at all well for me. Either the ingredients are listed incorrectly or the temperatures and time are all over the place.
One particular issue I found with a recipe was that they'd used tbsp (tablespoon) when they should have used tsp (teaspoon). No wonder it didn't work! In general, follow the recipe to the letter. But try to find another recipe for the same product (say, carrot cake) and compare the ingredients, method and temperatures. If there's a big difference, one of them is wrong!
And once you've found something that kind of works, don't be afraid to fine tune it to suit you. Perhaps less sugar, more water, less bicarbonate of soda, more mixed dry fruit.........

I'm impressed that you've had some initial problems but are still baking. Keep going - and please don't ask about my disasters!

Last edited:
how to mess up a Japanese milk loaf .
what a kerfuffle !
started well , made the tangzhong ,looked lovely ,whisked in the egg put the lot in the bowl and flicked it on . looked a bit dry . then i remembered the 125 ml of milk ! shoved that in quick and it looked a lot better . tipped it into an oiled bowl as ordered , looked for something to cover it and saw the tinfoil i'd had over a pie . covered it and put it on a heater to prove .
hour later ,had a peek .NOOOOO! the inside of the foil was dripping with condensation and the dough was swimming in a shallow pond .
calmly took it out , knocked back what little rise there was ,and put it into an oiled bread tin . half an hour later it had risen quite well ,to my surprise !. took it into the kichen and lit the oven .warmed it up ,turned to the bread,NOOOOO ! the cold air had caused it to sink about an inch ! .
stuffed it in the oven anyway
just waiting now

It happens to us all, usually because I left something critical out like the baking powder. Try again but just make one this time, sometimes doubling up doesn't always work

My mother left the flour out of her Christmas cake one year and she was what used to be called a Domestic Science Teacher - so you are not alone 🤗

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back