The Engine Rebuild

Tezza33

What about this stuff Rae?, it is used to repair plastic fuel tanks, radiators etc so impervious to petrol, the inside of your manifold would be smooth as well so better gas flow

Other similar products are available, I have used something like this to repair a fuel tank in the past with good results

RoaminRog

Rally Organiser
Can you find some spare plastic and ‘spot weld’ a cover over the holes with a soldering iron and then cover both sides with Gorilla epoxy resin. Only takes a few minutes to dry.

Last edited:

The laird

Rally Organiser
Rae I couldn’t remember the name of the bit we use and said helicoil,it was a rivet nut ,you put it into the hole and crimp it like a rivet withdraw the tool and the nut /insert centre is threaded and you screw the bolt in
Here’s a clip
It was too late and I was half asleep mate soz

992097EB-4760-4E92-8E2E-DCB51BFDDB50.png

StreetSleeper

Received a phone call this afternoon asking me would I like to come over and talk about the engine. To be honest with you, better news than I thought. The first thing he showed me was the camshaft or, should I say, the wear on the camshaft. As you can see from the photograph the lobe is in pretty bad condition.

This is the rear of the same cam and, as you can see, quite a bit of erosion there as well.

Even the cam follower has severe signs of wear in the centre........remember they should be flat.

Here we have one of the valves. You can see it starting to split.

The cylinder head will need all new seats fitted and the guides will be reamed and inserts installed.

Four pistons, no signs of blow pass so they will be re-used but new rings will be fitted.

The bores are in good condition with very little wear and so a light honing is all that's required.

The crankshaft is also in good condition with very little wear signs on the shells.

To give you some idea of the crank journal, all in the same condition. All that is required is a polish and new shells.

Rae

StreetSleeper

did he think it’s been running/ burning hot rae?
Hello Gogsy,
Definitely been running hot. Head gasket was just about ready to blow, basically, everything above the pistons will need to be replaced........except for the head but all the seats were sunk and will need replacing.

Rae

StreetSleeper

Looking through the pictures all of your problems were within the cylinder head.
Definitely but I couldn't understand why the cam etc. had worn out so prematurely. You must remember the engine has only 60,000 miles on the clock and that cam looks like it has done a lot more than that but the rest of the engine shows very slight signs of wear; it's almost like the head is off another engine. I spoke to the engineer about the oil pump and he assures me it is in tip top condition, it may have been a blockage to an oil feed running to the head but, hopefully, when the block is cleaned (and what a tool he's got for cleaning engines, told me it cost him £30,000) all the oilways should be free from any foreign objects.

Rae

wildebus

Definitely but I couldn't understand why the cam etc. had worn out so prematurely. You must remember the engine has only 60,000 miles on the clock and that cam looks like it has done a lot more than that but the rest of the engine shows very slight signs of wear; it's almost like the head is off another engine. I spoke to the engineer about the oil pump and he assures me it is in tip top condition, it may have been a blockage to an oil feed running to the head but, hopefully, when the block is cleaned (and what a tool he's got for cleaning engines, told me it cost him £30,000) all the oilways should be free from any foreign objects.

Rae
being a motorhome from brand new, maybe a previous owner used the engine as an generator when parked, so it has done a lot more revolutions than the mileage would suggest?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:239)

Campervanannie, helmit, Phantom, Val54, Mick Jordan, wildebus, Forresbroons, runnach, Clunegapyears, Biggarmac, Obanboy666, Chris Evans001, Tezza33, bobj808, FULL TIMER, oppy, The laird, Benylin, Edina, Topmast, linkshouse, mark61, Wooie1958, jeffmossy, BOTCANU, PeteS, eurajohn, helen262, RoaminRog, St3v3, debs, Wissel, yorkslass, rugbyken, Silver sprinter, trevskoda, LANDS43, Lee, Gixer, 2cv, RV2MAX, shortcircuit, Ian1950, HurricaneSmith, maingate, Exwindsurfer, skippy, nabsim, Trek, tonybvi, tapfitter, Livotlout, Wully, Vanterrier, Carrotts, nickvanbitz, Bouydog, saxonborg, dalspa, Yorkscol, Winks, Musto, Misterbun, cowanhouse, Reiverlad, Full Member, pagey, Trotter, Old Man Down, Martingrant, Telstar, jagmanx, Chrisb1701, Geraldine, flyby, Mikael63, Cocky, time4t, clarkpeacock, Stonedaddy, pj650, Noeldoes, Sueben, Undertaker, nutts, Edward B, paulhelenwilko, Markd, EJB, ironman, Bounce, Molly 3, abmnw, Ianfkelly1952, Bokker, Haaamster, timatabsa, alwaysared, Forcesixwindy, ian and cath, Nidge, daygoboy, Chris356, Phil, rab126, neckender, MarkJ, Tribute11, Minisorella, Steveandjulie, katv, grath, Harleyboygaz3, andyjanet, Matchlock, Cjshan, wints, bullfist, charlie356, Gerry Attrick, IscubaToo, isnbill, rustydog, GMJ, IJenk52, Bobtaylor, old cronies, erchie, eddyt, Boots, Jabas, Marzar, Annabella, SquirrellCook, jwh268, Dave, Alf, davef, davidmiller66, Roger Hurcombe, Djhobby, GWAYGWAY, Croftylad, steve66, harrow, stewpot, Bigshug, ian reed, RoadTrek Boy, Adriandp, pedro, Sotontriker, John, bjh, Steve France, Barleycorn, jimbanks, Pontius, Scampi30, KJW, phillhend, Meloc8, Porridge140, Forest1, ton27, Izwozral, Blackwatch, BillE, britcoms, keith777, davidjlambert, Jonnyjan, Forrory, toystory, rottytara2004, Avocadopicker, Shaun, hg41hs, beerdrinker, Dunfillin, Ratface, jhorsf, alun100, taylo482001, Pedalman, Mr&Mrs Tupcox, sunrisemac, Stormin, Mr B, mandoman, altonsg, Puddlejumper, Royal turkey, TissyD, witzend, 47643, Neodafyd, Phtron, Chipvan, 4x4man, bellars, Linda, Andy Flav, colbeb, pottertonrambler, ruzze77, roadroamer, chubby, highlandron, Squeegee, RayM, Oldfella, J2L, TeamRienza, exmusso, Fifty 21, Wesser, mur, Eric Eke, Mark5, Duetto2001, Dragon22, MikeK, Denmar, T4Lyn, MJK, Homenaway, Plumber-Jim, harrym, Ifor, Northumborman, mervyncp, On a journey, glesgaman, Raymondo, Mark135, mechanised, ozzy1955, SimonM,