The Engine Rebuild

runnach

Rae, yer man isn't hanging around getting to the root of engine problem, must give you both confidence for getting back on the road again, real soon!

Tezza33

Certainly are, used them often when I was on the tools, airtool used to draw them in. I have a hand version here at home, a hard pull and do the bizz.
I carry one in my car which is towed behind me, never needed to use it away from home but you never know, years ago we used to drill a hole and weld a nut on the back, this is a lot easier

StreetSleeper

must give you both confidence for getting back on the road again, real soon!
Hello Terry,
It certainly does, Derek has gone all out this week as he is on holiday next week but he will order all the required parts so that when he returns it shouldn't take him long to do the work and put it all back together again. It would be nice to get it back in three weeks, anything less would be a bonus.

Rae

eurajohn

Definitely but I couldn't understand why the cam etc. had worn out so prematurely. You must remember the engine has only 60,000 miles on the clock and that cam looks like it has done a lot more than that but the rest of the engine shows very slight signs of wear; it's almost like the head is off another engine. I spoke to the engineer about the oil pump and he assures me it is in tip top condition, it may have been a blockage to an oil feed running to the head but, hopefully, when the block is cleaned (and what a tool he's got for cleaning engines, told me it cost him £30,000) all the oilways should be free from any foreign objects.

Rae
Rae, from the pictures I'd say the hardening of the cam was at fault/ not good enough, probably accelerated by a lack of clearance; being a Pinto fan you'd know all about that, although as noted a lot of their problems was down to blocked oil spray bar.
The follower damage / wear would point to insufficient valve clearance, which would also account for the cracked valve, the constant contact of follower on cam even on the base circle would wear the follower in the fashion shown as the follower would not get the radial turning motion it should with proper clearance.
The crack on valve would come about because of the excessive constant high temperature of leaking gases and no cooling effect of heat transfer to valve seat when closed, and then of course the valve seat will also suffer.
Your chosen repairer is obviously competent in their trade and appear to be efficient and do what they promise.

SquirrellCook

being a motorhome from brand new, maybe a previous owner used the engine as an generator when parked, so it has done a lot more revolutions than the mileage would suggest?
Extended low rpm use will damage the valve train early. I found this out as a teenager remanufacturing police engines. It's where they used to park up with the engine running hoping to catch me speeding on a moped.

StreetSleeper

Rae I assume a new water pump and cam belt will be getting fitted on assembly?
Hello Gogsy,
Yes. A new water pump and belt will be fitted; in fact, there were signs of the water pump starting to leak.

Rae

StreetSleeper

no cooling effect of heat transfer to valve seat
Hello John,
I have to put my hands up here, the van is running on LPG without any Flashlube. Whether this would have affected the engine to this degree in such a short time I could not say but when I go back on LPG a Flashlube will be fitted.

Rae

RoaminRog

Rally Organiser

This is all fabulous news Rae, a proper giant step forward.
I think that cloud is finally lifting for you!
Should see you soon!

StreetSleeper

Decided to bite the bullet. As I've got a week to play with while the engine builder is taking his holiday I thought this was an opportune time to get the gearbox overhauled. They said it would be a five day turn round so, as I write, it's winging it's way to Strathclyde Gearbox Services. Let's see if they can sort out the fifth gear.

Rae

The laird

Rally Organiser

Decided to bite the bullet. As I've got a week to play with while the engine builder is taking his holiday I thought this was an opportune time to get the gearbox overhauled. They said it would be a five day turn round so, as I write, it's winging it's way to Strathclyde Gearbox Services. Let's see if they can sort out the fifth gear.
Nice one mate makes sense doing it now ,new clutch,first motion shaft sleeve n seal ,diff seals ,jobs a good one
Any hassle for parts rae I got parts from coastal motorhomes and give you 15% disc if you need help
View attachment 48428

Rae

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)