The Engine Rebuild

Blackwatch

Free Member
Rae
Why dont you use super glue and bicarbonate as a filler
You can put some carbon granules into the mix to make it darker

StreetSleeper

Why dont you use super glue and bicarbonate as a filler
I've been using super glue & baking powder for quite a few years now; I stumbled across it when I was mending motorbike fairings and was surprised how good it was at sticking itself to plastic. For a job like the inlet manifold I would have favoured a stuff called Q-Bond, you get it in two colours; black and grey and you do the same as you would using baking powder/bicarb. Fortunately, I've found a car body repairer who has assured me he can do the job with a hot plastic gun; hopefully, I shall be seeing him tomorrow and put photographs up.

Rae

wildebus

I've been using super glue & baking powder for quite a few years now; I stumbled across it when I was mending motorbike fairings and was surprised how good it was at sticking itself to plastic. For a job like the inlet manifold I would have favoured a stuff called Q-Bond, you get it in two colours; black and grey and you do the same as you would using baking powder/bicarb. Fortunately, I've found a car body repairer who has assured me he can do the job with a hot plastic gun; hopefully, I shall be seeing him tomorrow and put photographs up.

Rae
ref the Superglue and baking powder, what is the purpose of the baking powder? (not come across this use before - is it to thicken the glue?).
Something I used to use when repairing alloy wheels and plastics to use as a fine filler is CA Gel (The link is to a Wayside brand - I have never found a better alternative) as opposed to the typical thin CA (Superglue) preparation. Used this on its own for gouges and cracks and it worked very well. Depending on situation, used to either spray CA Accelerant (ZIP Kicker seems to be the most common brand) or sometimes just a water mist to set the gel instantly.

Molly 3

ref the Superglue and baking powder, what is the purpose of the baking powder? (not come across this use before - is it to thicken the glue?).
Something I used to use when repairing alloy wheels and plastics to use as a fine filler is CA Gel (The link is to a Wayside brand - I have never found a better alternative) as opposed to the typical thin CA (Superglue) preparation. Used this on its own for gouges and cracks and it worked very well. Depending on situation, used to either spray CA Accelerant (ZIP Kicker seems to be the most common brand) or sometimes just a water mist to set the gel instantly.
Also used for rebuilding guitar nuts

Markd

Glad to hear that you are making good progress now.
Gearbox rebuild makes sense as you had reservations about it already.
I'd say a new clutch kit is a parts only cost no brainer while everything's out.

Last edited:

StreetSleeper

Got the manifold back today, the guy said he couldn't get the plastic to stick so my next port of call was somebody that Terry suggested. They had a try with numerous different types of welding rod but still to no avail and then we found out what the problem is: the manifold is made from glass reinforced nylon and so welding it was out of the question, it would have to be a resin or a glue.

What I ended up doing, re-tapping the holes to the next size up then fitting nylon allen bolts.

After doing that I used a compound called Q-Bond and built up all round the screw heads, making sure there could be no air leakage.

Perhaps not the prettiest job but it will do until I find another inlet manifold.

I made sure I went up the head quite considerably and round the manifold; I can't see it moving now.

Rae

paulhelenwilko

Rae and Anne, Glad there is progress and hope you are on the road again soon.

As usual thankyou for the interesting and informative thread. Forgive my lack of knowledge but do you run on LPG and/or Unleaded ?

Paul.

StreetSleeper

do you run on LPG and/or Unleaded ?
Hello Paul,
At 53p a litre for LPG we try always to run on gas; unfortunately, we had to run on petrol due to lack of power. Now we know what the problem was, and it is being rectified, we will be running on LPG most of the time. Sometimes availability is a problem and that's when unleaded has to be used but even buying LPG on motorway forecourts there is still a considerable saving to be had.

Rae

daygoboy

Free Member
Hello Paul,
At 53p a litre for LPG we try always to run on gas; unfortunately, we had to run on petrol due to lack of power. Now we know what the problem was, and it is being rectified, we will be running on LPG most of the time. Sometimes availability is a problem and that's when unleaded has to be used but even buying LPG on motorway forecourts there is still a considerable saving to be had.

Rae
I realise the symptom was an overheating engine, but as a matter of
interest what actually was the problem causing this?

Markd

I wonder if those old manifold plugs were leaking a bit and you were getting a leaner mixture than you should have.
Also as lpg is lead free and the engine is getting on in years perhaps the seats and valves weren't as hard as they ought to have been?
Added to which as the seats retreated clearance to the cam would have reduced eventually having continuous contact, which would lead to wear and uncompleted seals. So loss of power.
The physical issues will be dealt with during the rebuild and the Flashlube will no doubt help.
A decent camshaft will ensure that the valves open fully to let gases in and particularly out.
The van should go better than it ever has when you've done - so it'll be money well spent.

Last edited:

time4t

It seems to me that you're going along the right path for the successful completion of mission rebuild Rae.

It are always a good idea to get everything else that needs attention, done while you have the chance!
After all the shinanigans you've had while trying to get the engine rebuilt, it's nice to see you being a lot more positive about the van!

Phill

pagey

Free Member
I wonder if those old manifold plugs were leaking a bit and you were getting a leaner mixture than you should have.
Also as lpg is lead free and the engine is getting on in years perhaps the seats and valves weren't as hard as they ought to have been?
Added to which as the seats retreated clearance to the cam would have reduced eventually having continuous contact, which would lead to wear and uncompleted seals. So loss of power.
The physical issues will be dealt with during the rebuild and the Flashlube will no doubt help.
A decent camshaft will ensure that the valves open fully to let gases in and particularly out.
The van should go better than it ever has when you've done - so it'll be money well spent.
very likely an air leak at the manifold caused the overheating due to weak mixture

StreetSleeper

very likely an air leak at the manifold caused the overheating due to weak mixture
Hello Mark,
Though I can't rule out that, I would find it very unlikely. I used copper crush washers which, when I did the initial stud fitting, I removed to see if the washer had seated all the way round; which it had. I also used copious amounts of stud lock which should have taken up any play in the thread.

Rae

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:239)

Campervanannie, helmit, Phantom, Val54, Mick Jordan, wildebus, Forresbroons, runnach, Clunegapyears, Biggarmac, Obanboy666, Chris Evans001, Tezza33, bobj808, FULL TIMER, oppy, The laird, Benylin, Edina, Topmast, linkshouse, mark61, Wooie1958, jeffmossy, BOTCANU, PeteS, eurajohn, helen262, RoaminRog, St3v3, debs, Wissel, yorkslass, rugbyken, Silver sprinter, trevskoda, LANDS43, Lee, Gixer, 2cv, RV2MAX, shortcircuit, Ian1950, HurricaneSmith, maingate, Exwindsurfer, skippy, nabsim, Trek, tonybvi, tapfitter, Livotlout, Wully, Vanterrier, Carrotts, nickvanbitz, Bouydog, saxonborg, dalspa, Yorkscol, Winks, Musto, Misterbun, cowanhouse, Reiverlad, Full Member, pagey, Trotter, Old Man Down, Martingrant, Telstar, jagmanx, Chrisb1701, Geraldine, flyby, Mikael63, Cocky, time4t, clarkpeacock, Stonedaddy, pj650, Noeldoes, Sueben, Undertaker, nutts, Edward B, paulhelenwilko, Markd, EJB, ironman, Bounce, Molly 3, abmnw, Ianfkelly1952, Bokker, Haaamster, timatabsa, alwaysared, Forcesixwindy, ian and cath, Nidge, daygoboy, Chris356, Phil, rab126, neckender, MarkJ, Tribute11, Minisorella, Steveandjulie, katv, grath, Harleyboygaz3, andyjanet, Matchlock, Cjshan, wints, bullfist, charlie356, Gerry Attrick, IscubaToo, isnbill, rustydog, GMJ, IJenk52, Bobtaylor, old cronies, erchie, eddyt, Boots, Jabas, Marzar, Annabella, SquirrellCook, jwh268, Dave, Alf, davef, davidmiller66, Roger Hurcombe, Djhobby, GWAYGWAY, Croftylad, steve66, harrow, stewpot, Bigshug, ian reed, RoadTrek Boy, Adriandp, pedro, Sotontriker, John, bjh, Steve France, Barleycorn, jimbanks, Pontius, Scampi30, KJW, phillhend, Meloc8, Porridge140, Forest1, ton27, Izwozral, Blackwatch, BillE, britcoms, keith777, davidjlambert, Jonnyjan, Forrory, toystory, rottytara2004, Avocadopicker, Shaun, hg41hs, beerdrinker, Dunfillin, Ratface, jhorsf, alun100, taylo482001, Pedalman, Mr&Mrs Tupcox, sunrisemac, Stormin, Mr B, mandoman, altonsg, Puddlejumper, Royal turkey, TissyD, witzend, 47643, Neodafyd, Phtron, Chipvan, 4x4man, bellars, Linda, Andy Flav, colbeb, pottertonrambler, ruzze77, roadroamer, chubby, highlandron, Squeegee, RayM, Oldfella, J2L, TeamRienza, exmusso, Fifty 21, Wesser, mur, Eric Eke, Mark5, Duetto2001, Dragon22, MikeK, Denmar, T4Lyn, MJK, Homenaway, Plumber-Jim, harrym, Ifor, Northumborman, mervyncp, On a journey, glesgaman, Raymondo, Mark135, mechanised, ozzy1955, SimonM,