The Good and the Very Bad!!!

linkshouse

The Good News

I think I mentioned a while back that I'd installed an inverter in our van to run our microwave and toaster and was in the process of installing a solar panel to keep the leisure batteries topped up.

We've just been off on our first trip since then and given the setup a proper test and it performed well using the microwave in the evening, watching telly all evening, plus diesel heater, then toaster in the morning. Ran like this for three days with no problems. And, it was pretty dull wet weather.

Happy days!

The Bad News

On our way home cruising up the A9 with Forrest running like a good'n there was a very expensive sounding bang, clatter, clatter, clatter from the engine and we coasted to a halt. Turning the engine over there is no compression. I rather suspect that the cam belt has gone.

The recovery home was a bit of a pantomime that I'll not go into here but at least Forrest is at a local garage now (well given where we live, relatively local). I dread to think what the repairs will cost.

But the inverter/solar panel setup works great :rolleyes:

The Good News

I think I mentioned a while back that I'd installed an inverter in our van to run our microwave and toaster and was in the process of installing a solar panel to keep the leisure batteries topped up.

We've just been off on our first trip since then and given the setup a proper test and it performed well using the microwave in the evening, watching telly all evening, plus diesel heater, then toaster in the morning. Ran like this for three days with no problems. And, it was pretty dull wet weather.

Happy days!

The Bad News

View attachment 46455

On our way home cruising up the A9 with Forrest running like a good'n there was a very expensive sounding bang, clatter, clatter, clatter from the engine and we coasted to a halt. Turning the engine over there is no compression. I rather suspect that the cam belt has gone.

The recovery home was a bit of a pantomime that I'll not go into here but at least Forrest is at a local garage now (well given where we live, relatively local). I dread to think what the repairs will cost.

But the inverter/solar panel setup works great :rolleyes:
Bless... Hope the bill isn't to much...
Stay with the van and keep them sweet with tea and toast.... KEEP ON SMILING ?

Before anyone tells me that it is important to change the cam belt before it gets too old...

Not knowing the full history of the vehicle we had it into a local garage on Orkney Mainland as soon as we got it, just over a year ago for a full service and new cambelt.

I fear the lesson learned might not be to check the fan belt but...

There are cheap garages, and there are good garages. We went for cheap, it looks like that could have been a mistake.

It is with a garage now that I know do a good job, but they're expensive. Maybe I should have stuck my hand deeper into my pocket in the first place :rolleyes:

Looks to be in very good condition.
Hope all goes well
It is, he's a cracking little van that we have come to quite love.

I've done quite a bit of work on the habitation side of things with a new sink/hob, diesel heater, inverter, solar panel etc. and I don;t reckon there is anything else to do now.

As per my reply to Clunegapyears, my positive spin on this is that I hope that one the engine is repaired (and I'll tell them to give it a thorough going over while they have it) then mechanically we will be all good as well.

We have all done it by going for the cheaper option (well we have)! but now we always go for the best one which IMO isn’t necessarily the dearest one and I hope it all goes well

Before anyone tells me that it is important to change the cam belt before it gets too old...

Not knowing the full history of the vehicle we had it into a local garage on Orkney Mainland as soon as we got it, just over a year ago for a full service and new cambelt.
The laird's cambelt snapped and it wasn't due to be changed, don't kick yourself for having it done cheap previously because sometimes these things just happen, good luck with it because classic Hymers are worth saving

Just because you used a garage that was cheaper than the next, doesn’t mean the standard of work shouldn’t be up to standard.
Did they actually change the belt ?
Is your van petrol or diesel? If petrol then engine damage will be minimal

Just because you used a garage that was cheaper than the next, doesn’t mean the standard of work shouldn’t be up to standard.
Did they actually change the belt ?
Is your van petrol or diesel? If petrol then engine damage will be minimal

Diesel (Renault Trafic) I'm afraid.

I will ask the garage doing the repairs to check the belt and tension pulley etc to see if they look new as I am hearing all sorts of stories now, about the previous garage charging for work and not doing it (isn't it always the way that one gets the warnings after the event!).

I'm sure the belt may be beyond analysis so to speak, but they supposedly fitted a new tension pulley etc and it should be clear enough whether or not that is new.

May I suggest that you ask them to check/replace the water pump at the same time.

Although on my previous van, my cam belt was fine, the water pump (previously changed with that belt) was stiffening up and close to failing.

Just a quick update on Forrest.

The garage has had a chance to have a look at the engine now and I'm afraid it is as feared it's terminal!

They're going to ring round their various contacts to see if they can source a second hand, perhaps crash damage, engine.

I briefly explored fully refurbished, but the company I contacted was charging nearly £3000 for a refurbished engine!

I just hope the garage can locate a replacement at a reasonable cost.

I've invested too much time and money into the habitation side of the vehicle to walk away but there is a limit to how much money I can throw at it!

Humph!

There's a few on eBay. Not sure of your act model/engine but have a look. There's also a bare engine 2.5d in Plymouth for sale at £950

Or buy a donor, drive it home then strip it...?

HTH ?

Bit far from Orkney I suppose, but what isn't?

K ;)

Last edited:
There's a few on eBay. Not sure of your act model/engine but have a look. There's also a bare engine 2.5d in Plymouth for sale at £950

Or buy a donor, drive it home then strip it...?

HTH ?

Bit far from Orkney I suppose, but what isn't?

K ;)
Thank you for these. You're obviously better at searching ebay than me as I didn't find anything.

Regards

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back