Theft averted in Bilboa

Mobilvetta

Yesterday when we got off the ferry out Bilboa, we drove out of the ferry terminal and turned right were there is a fuel station a few hundred yards away that also has a number of lorry's fueling up, there is also pumps for cars.

I got out and went to the nearside to fill up, whilst doing this a guy opened the habitation door on the offside and entered our motorhome, lucky for me my wife was in it and said to him what are you doing, he got out and closed the habitation door behind him, lucky there was nothing nearby for him to grab. She thought perhaps he was a worker at the garage.

My wife pointed him out when I got back in, he had doubled back and had climbed on top of the bed of an artic truck that was parked up, there was two of them, they kept peeping out and my wife was trying to get a clear photo of them, but to no avail.

I tried to explain to the garage what had just happened, but I couldn't speak Spanish and unfortunately they couldn't speak English and there was no police in sight.

We left to goto the Carrefour, unfortunately I had left my refillable gas cap, so we had to return probably 50 minutes later, there was no sign of them. It is obvious they must come when they know the ferry has arrived and wait down there as opportunitist's and because we're were parked at near the front on deck 5 we were one of the last to get off.

I hope they never managed to steal anything from earlier motorhomes who may have fueled up there before us. Lesson learnt, from now on, when I leave the vehicle always to fuel up, make sure I lock the doors.

Another one ... really makes Spain seem a less than safe destination. If you read the foreign office travel advice ... you’d never go!

Another one ... really makes Spain seem a less than safe destination. If you read the foreign office travel advice ... you’d never go!

It’s precisely why we no longer go having holidayed there for many years. The police showed no interest in the rising crime. We used to stay in the Javea area.

Like they suggest I’m sure Essex Glasgow Birmingham London or any other major uk city, similar crimes.
Will remember to secure locks in future.

We did Spain last year incident free, unfortunately this time things are going to pot, on the crossing I lost my one of my credit and debit cards, went to reception on the ferry and they haven't been handed in, so have had to cancel them and they are going to send new ones out to our home address, I will then have to get my daughter to post them to our house address in Spain, so that I have them for back up.

I have forgotten to bring my 3 months supply of tablets, but I know I can just buy them at the chemist without the need for a prescription. I do have a spanish Sip card and still registered at a Spanish doctors, so I could get a prescription from him and get the tablets at a discounted price, but this would mean heading to Quesada first, which I don't want to do.

Last year if we visited any city's we tended to stay on a caravan/ motorhome site as we like to leave the van and go off exploring on our cycles, rather than leaving it parked up by itself. We only wild camped at places were there are a number of other motorhomes as it felt safer to leave it there alarmed up, if we were leaving it to go exploring, in the hope that if the alarm went off, someone would take a look. Certainly this experience has made me less complacent and from now on all doors will be locked when i leave the motorhome. At least the sun is shining, hopefully things will go smoothly from now on.

Spain Like every country have a small amount of criminals, I wouldn't let it deter you from coming here, there are probably as many incidents in the UK, I see motorhomes parked up in my hometown in Blackpool were theft from vehicles is rife.

We always took, " Spanish precautions ".. And still do.
Always be on guard.
Avoid the bleeding obvious. .. Tourist traps, pinch points, like ferry terminsls, motorway services....
Most of the crime is generated by the need to feed a drug habit.
The dealers usually live in larger towns.
We always avoid larger towns.
A junkie would never hang around a quiet place, on the off chance of of catching out an unaware visitor. They need a rapid turnover, a fence to buy stolen kit ..and a nearby source of drugs.
Enjoy your travels.

We have spent a lot of time in Spain in the van, mostly Aires / car parks with a fair bit of wild camping in remote areas. Have never felt threatened and generally feel safer in remote wild camping places for the reasons stated by Pauljennny. However good to get a reminder to keep the van locked even when close by - my other half has often said to me 'why are you locking up, we are only going over there'! A minute putting valuables out of site and fully locking up, we have additional locks on all doors, is worth it considering the hassle of dealing with a theft.

We always took, " Spanish precautions ".. And still do.
Always be on guard.
Avoid the bleeding obvious. .. Tourist traps, pinch points, like ferry terminsls, motorway services....
Most of the crime is generated by the need to feed a drug habit.
The dealers usually live in larger towns.
We always avoid larger towns.
A junkie would never hang around a quiet place, on the off chance of of catching out an unaware visitor. They need a rapid turnover, a fence to buy stolen kit ..and a nearby source of drugs.
Enjoy your travels.
Know you stuff paul anything you wish to tell us about you past lives,think the noddy hat tells us the tale. 😂

We have occasionally pulled the window blinds up half way (and fly screens down to meet them) and left the Radio on softly, tuned to a talk programme.

It may be daft, but it makes us happier.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back