Thetford n100ehl 3 way fridge

Yosser

Please can anybody help, just recently bought a ahorn motorhome (my first motorhome) I seem to have got everything working now apart from the fridge it's a thetford n100ehl managed to get the burner to stay on after cleaning and bending the thermocouple nearer the flame ,but the fridge is not getting cold , the fridge is not getting cold on mains supply either, the van is on a slope on my drive could this effect the fridge, so not working on gas and mains supply,the light is on in the fridge,any ideas please the motorhome is a 2004 model.

A 2004 model fridge would need to be level (or almost level) to work so I would think that could be your problem

Is the temperature dropping in the fridge at all? Even on a slope, the fridge should cool down but won’t be as efficient as it should be. If there is no drop in temperature at all, then the fridge itself could be faulty.
If the fridge is working, it will take a good few hours to start cooling.

the fridge should get cold on 240v even on a bit of a slope . i'd allow 4 hours+ or maybe even longer for any test. how long did you give it ? also have you checked both electric elements for continuity ?

Is the temperature dropping in the fridge at all? Even on a slope, the fridge should cool down but won’t be as efficient as it should be.
the fridge should get cold on 240v even on a bit of a slope .
I remember reading on WC about someone's fridge that would not work at all on a slope, the OP has not said how much of a slope it is so I would at least try it level before testing anything else

just a few examples

post #8

post #7

you're quite right about the level bit ,i think they specify no more than 3 degrees out of plumb , which is a bit of CYA i reckon considering how difficult vans are to level. but i have a feeling that it applies mainly to the gas burner . if the gas is burning on a slope i can see the main heat off the flame being diverted away from the centre of the flue where it is spread by the s/s spiral to heat the pipe at the side which carries the coolant . the electric elements however are held tight against this pipe and i can't imagine how being a bit out of plumb could affect the transfer of heat . all supposition on my part i admit ,but i have worked on dozens of these annoying things and secretly admire them ,as they can nearly always be fixed ,unless the coolant has leaked

Thetford fridges need to be within 3 degrees of dead level to work. That's hard.
Dometic fridges need to be within 6 degrees. That's much easier.
Once a fridge has "locked up" through not being level enough, You either have to drive a bit to shake it clear, or switch it off, let it cool down and start it again, level.

Last edited:
The problem is that the coolant circulates by convection within the pipes.

A 2004 model fridge would need to be level (or almost level) to work so I would think that could be your problem
Please can anybody help, just recently bought a ahorn motorhome (my first motorhome) I seem to have got everything working now apart from the fridge it's a thetford n100ehl managed to get the burner to stay on after cleaning and bending the thermocouple nearer the flame ,but the fridge is not getting cold , the fridge is not getting cold on mains supply either, the van is on a slope on my drive could this effect the fridge, so not working on gas and mains supply,the light is on in the fridge,any ideas please the motorhome is a 2004 model.
thanks Tezza you were right went to Southport last weekend 1st time out.fridge worked perfectly well on level ground 😄

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back