Things you see from parkups.

From what I gather, the Yanks pulled out of Rota base some years ago, when the Spanish government tried to use it as a bargaining tool.
It gutted the town, because so many of the locals depended on the free-spending servicemen, their families and the military.
It was too warn the world that you don't mess with Uncle Sam.
The ships that you are seeing, are mostly the might of the Spanish Navy.
Nice place though.
It was a favourite bolt hole , when the winter got too cold in Portugal.

Was speaking to a yank here yesterday he has retired here. He talked as if they were still here.

Regularly see the Greek navy - ships and a sub on manoeuvres near Chania, Crete. But no pics ... they throw in jail here!

Regularly see the Greek navy - ships and a sub on manoeuvres near Chania, Crete. But no pics ... they throw in jail here!
Had a friend do most European and some Eastern block countries back in late 80's on a 125cc motorbike and a tent, all went well till he ended up pitching up late one night in the dark. Was awoken next morning by armed soldiers/police and thrown in jail. Took a while before he found out what was wrong, he had camped next to a military area and they suspected he was a spy. Not sure if it was Greece or Turkey but he said they were very heavy handed

The American Fleet were not playing in 1983 (might have been 84) when they were just off Beirut and pounding the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon. I was watching them through a large hole in the Terminal building while I waited to board my flight. There were only 2 aircraft on the ground, mine and a Swissair flight. They closed the Airport after both had left and it stayed closed for a number of years. :confused:

From what I gather, the Yanks pulled out of Rota base some years ago, when the Spanish government tried to use it as a bargaining tool.
It gutted the town, because so many of the locals depended on the free-spending servicemen, their families and the military.
It was too warn the world that you don't mess with Uncle Sam.
The ships that you are seeing, are mostly the might of the Spanish Navy.
Nice place though.
It was a favourite bolt hole , when the winter got too cold in Portugal.
Rota is still a US base leased off the Spanish ( Spain has the Harrier AV 8Bs based there )..used as a Naval and Airbase by the US.....Its coveres a hugh area south and north of the town.

9E224DA2-86EA-4A8F-9895-2C972E17C2DC.pngPlease explain !!!
Bridge of orchy February 2018
Three Chinese men and a Chinese woman arrive in a car one proceeds to dress in a white onesie with red sock shaped head gloves and socks they then carried a sheepskin right over a field where the dressed up one proceeded to roll around on the floor whilst the others took photos, I wonder if this was the start of corona virus 🤣

Rota is still a US base leased off the Spanish ( Spain has the Harrier AV 8Bs based there )..used as a Naval and Airbase by the US.....Its coveres a hugh area south and north of the town.
I Stand corrected.

At its peak there were 16000 US sailors based there, plus their families and civilian support staff ..Two Air Squadrons, Aircraft carriers,Subs and Surface vessels.
This was a prosperous, small, American town .
It's impact on the local economy was massive.

A neighbour of mine, was a lecturer there, at the military education campus, with the honorary rank of Lootenant Colonel. In his cups, he maintains that story about the Spanish trying to pressure the US to extract some political concession (Possibly over support for Argentina, over the Falklands ?).

As the Cold War cooled, the base strength was downgraded.
The population has declined to about 4000 service personnel, in 2016.
Improvements in Satellite technology, aircraft endurance and carrying capacity plus the reduced need for refuelling freighters, has reduced the physical need need for a large deployment.

The military complex is now a joint U.S./NATO base, under the command off a Spanish Vice Admiral.
Enjoy it.
That bus service, by the aire, is a godsend.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back