Third bunk ( for child)

Vanterrier

I previously added this in the what have you done to your van today thread but thought I would repeat it here with pictures for anyone who missed it...

If you have two berth rear lounge van and would like to take your grandchild away with you.

Made a third berth to accommodate our 3.1/2 year old granddaughter. Cut a base from 3/8 ply approx 48"x24" with shaped corners to fit across the two front cab seats when they are rotated to 90 degrees. The squabs need to be adjusted as flat as possible and the base is flat and level and secure.
For the "mattress" I simply used the two backs from the lounge bench seats. They are not used when we sleep as two single beds so are ideal and are the exact size for the new bed.
I will need to curtain off the front side of the bed so she doesn't fiddle with controls and switches etc and fit a side to the rear side of the bed to stop her falling off - we have one for when she stays with us at home so I just need to adapt my new base to accept that.
So I am chuffed I have a solution that has cost nothing really. A good hours work.

Of course you will still need to figure out how you get your small person to your pitch... Parents?

I hope this helps someone.

K ;)

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I got a piece of ply 10mm or so, two metal tubes which coat rails are used for and two mounts which screwed into the ply and the legs/rod pushed into, all from B&Q, these stop it tipping forward, one Ikea Mattress and laid it across the front sets jamming it against the dash. Perfect for a teenager. The parts were stored in the Upper bed of the Swift we had whilst driving. Took about 10 minutes to get set up with bedding!

I previously added this in the what have you done to your van today thread but thought I would repeat it here with pictures for anyone who missed it...

If you have two berth rear lounge van and would like to take your grandchild away with you.

Made a third berth to accommodate our 3.1/2 year old granddaughter. Cut a base from 3/8 ply approx 48"x24" with shaped corners to fit across the two front cab seats when they are rotated to 90 degrees. The squabs need to be adjusted as flat as possible and the base is flat and level and secure.
For the "mattress" I simply used the two backs from the lounge bench seats. They are not used when we sleep as two single beds so are ideal and are the exact size for the new bed.
I will need to curtain off the front side of the bed so she doesn't fiddle with controls and switches etc and fit a side to the rear side of the bed to stop her falling off - we have one for when she stays with us at home so I just need to adapt my new base to accept that.
So I am chuffed I have a solution that has cost nothing really. A good hours work.

Of course you will still need to figure out how you get your small person to your pitch... Parents?

I hope this helps someone.

K ;)

View attachment 43582View attachment 43583View attachment 43584View attachment 43585
Looks really tidy & very comfy for a small person. Well done....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back