Ticks

andromeda

Got home from the New Forest to discover Buster acquired a Tick from the back garden. This is something I've not encountered at home before but my local vet practice said theres been an upsurge locally. I'm in Warwickshire and just thought other doggy people might want to check thei pets as I wouldn't have done as he was clear when we left the meet

Beware also that you didn't acquire a tick in the New Forest:
"Over half of infections acquired in the UK are known to have been caught in the southern counties of England. Areas where it is most common tend to be centres of outdoor activity - in particular, the New Forest,..."​

Beware if you are bring your pets to Portugal this year we took our dog to a camping area a few weeks ago ,when I got back from a three hour walk I had to remove over thirty ticks the grass seems to be full of them. She even gets some in our garden,it just seems a bad year.

I think you have to be careful everywhere you go. Earlier this year we drove through France to Spain then Portugal stopping to walk the dog every couple of hours. Then drove back to Brittany, then to the UK to Cambridge.
Guess where the dog picked up a tick?
It starts with a C......

Luckily, the tick fell off dead shortly afterwards, we have always treated him with flea and tick tablets from the vet.

Ticks are also bad in Scotland.
On returning a couple of years ago our border collie had a few on her head and neck, they had died in her skin but were easy to remove.
she was on Bravecto flee treatment, point is I wanted the beggers repelling before they had entered her skin (Lymes disease ect )
She is now on Advantix (four spot treatment per month) and so far after many trips around Scotland no more tick's

Ticks and mosquitos seem to be rife everywhere this year. I got more mosquito bites in one week than I've had in years. Must get the Avon out.

Reg kept getting ticks when we were camping in Northallerton a couple of years ago, we'd been away from home for nearly a month travelling round Scotland and the month long treatment he'd had must have worn off.

Vet recommended he has Bravecto now which lasts 3 months. So far so good,

CO2 used to be on Advantix and Advocate, now just on Nexguard. It seems to work, the only sighting was a dead one on Oscar’s snout, that dropped off as I brushed my hand over it. And we’ve been through Holland, Germany, France and two months in heat in Corsica and Sardinia.
They also have Scaribor collars against sand fly (Leich.).
Prevention is definitely the way to go.

I think you have to be careful everywhere you go. Earlier this year we drove through France to Spain then Portugal stopping to walk the dog every couple of hours. Then drove back to Brittany, then to the UK to Cambridge.
Guess where the dog picked up a tick?
It starts with a C......

Luckily, the tick fell off dead shortly afterwards, we have always treated him with flea and tick tablets from the vet.
My dog Roxy picked a tick up in Argues France because she goes for you it was hard to remove she doesn't like being held down when we visited the vets for passport I mentioned the tick he just used a small implement and removed it he says it was dead anyway probably the tablets we use we gave always bee able to remove them of our dogs before it probably worth keeping a tool in our M/H's

Beware of Ticks in the New Forest, they can carry Lyme's disease and you do not want that, if you find a Tick on your body keep an eye on the site of the tick intrusion , if you see a rash developing as in this picture you have Lymes disease, I contracted it in America when there and needed intense treatment with antibiotics before it was cured, the rash will go away without treatment BUT you MUST have antibiotics as the disease is still developing in your body.IT IS a SERIOUS Disease.

erythema migrans.jpg

Reactions: 2cv
Beware of Ticks in the New Forest, they can carry Lyme's disease and you do not want that, if you find a Tick on your body keep an eye on the site of the tick intrusion , if you see a rash developing as in this picture you have Lymes disease, I contracted it in America when there and needed intense treatment with antibiotics before it was cured, the rash will go away without treatment BUT you MUST have antibiotics as the disease is still developing in your body.IT IS a SERIOUS Disease.

View attachment 47879
Did you notice whether this tick had been there a short while or had you not noticed it for a few days
I believe there is a plentiful amount in this country with the heat we are having at moment

Did you notice whether this tick had been there a short while or had you not noticed it for a few days
I believe there is a plentiful amount in this country with the heat we are having at moment
No I never realised the Tick was there for a couple of days as its body had fallen of but it's legs and mandibles were still in my leg, The rash gets steadily bigger and looks like a dart board before it fades, oddly I was on the plane home from USA and was reading a magazine that was in the seat back of the plane and I saw an article about Tics so this made me aware, I kept the magazine and lo and behold a fews days after I got home the rash started to appear, I went to my Doctor at home and showed him the magazine and the rash and he confirmed Lymes disease and injected me with antibiotics there and then and I continued with further treatment till tests confirmed I was free of the disease, Southampton University teaching Hospitals were at the time doing studies on Lymes disease and asked me to participate in trials which I did, strange how things pan out isn't it, any where there are Deer as in the New Forest, Tics can infect you with Lymes Disease if the are carrying the Virus.

No I never realised the Tick was there for a couple of days as its body had fallen of but it's legs and mandibles were still in my leg, The rash gets steadily bigger and looks like a dart board before it fades, oddly I was on the plane home from USA and was reading a magazine that was in the seat back of the plane and I saw an article about Tics so this made me aware, I kept the magazine and lo and behold a fews days after I got home the rash started to appear, I went to my Doctor at home and showed him the magazine and the rash and he confirmed Lymes disease and injected me with antibiotics there and then and I continued with further treatment till tests confirmed I was free of the disease, Southampton University teaching Hospitals were at the time doing studies on Lymes disease and asked me to participate in trials which I did, strange how things pan out isn't it, any where there are Deer as in the New Forest, Tics can infect you with Lymes Disease if the are carrying the Virus.
Is it normal for the body to drop off and the legs and the mandibles to stay in your body, what was your suspicions before you decided to take that magazine, this is very scary I go to pieces at the thought of this
Now you have said Deer, I'am even more cautious, there are deer sometimes in the country park at top of my lane
I always thought it was sheep

Yes...
Only became aware of Lymes recently..
I thought you could not fully eradicate it ?
Someone will know.
As for mossies again malaria never goes and after being treated it can flare up later in life. People can die of both conditions !

Ps my grandfather clock has been treated and now goes " Tock Tock "

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back