Timing Belt Change - Ducato 2.3 Multijet

When do you have the Timing/Cambelt Changed?

• On Mileage (no time limits). (add what mileage in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On Time (no mileage limits). (add what time in comments)

• Either Mileage or Time, whichever came first. (add the miles/time at the time replaced in comments)

• Not had it done. (add current miles and vehicle age in comments)

• Total voters

wildebus

Ok, for owners of the above engine - i.e. the 2.3L 130BHP Multijet as fitted in the X250 Ducatos.

When do YOU have the Timing/Cambelt Changed?
What Mileage Intervals? What Time Intervals? Are you aware there are mileage AND time limits for when the belt should be replaced?

And finally, when you had this done, how much did it cost?

I've added a little poll as well out of curiosity :)
(well I tried to, but I don't see it?)

The last change in my own vehicle, that was done during the previous owners tenure, to get the ball rolling.
70k, no time limit.

We just ours done on the Yeti I think it’s 120000 mile or 5years in our case it was the 5year as the car has only done 18000 mile cost us £500 and that was off my mate .

When I bought my fiat the dealer changed the timing belt and then I had it changed again, together with the water pump, 3 years later. I understood that was the correct interval for low mileage vehicles but have since been told the interval is 4 years. No regrets though as the failure mode does not bare thinking about. Can't remember the cost but I used a good local indy rather than a main dealer.

We just ours done on the Yeti I think it’s 120000 mile or 5years in our case it was the 5year as the car has only done 18000 mile cost us £500 and that was off my mate
thanks, but I don't think Skoda fit Fiat engines. (very different interval recommendations for different manufacturers)

I assume you meant your Skoda Yeti car? unless your camper is called "Yeti"?

Just remember, the last owner may have paid for a belt change but did they get it? Get it changed and sleep better.
that is a very valid point and I tend to think that way. In this case though, if he paid for it, it would have been done! (you have not met the last owner ;) )

90k or every 5 years , I have just had mine done £300
Did you have the water pump changed? I've read different things about that. (I know with some engines, doing that is a bit of a no-brainer. others not the case)

Mileage isn’t the critical concern with belts on a motorhome, time is though. The rubber on a belt will deteriorate, and lack of use will accelerate it if the engine isn’t running regularly.

I first changed mine @20000 miles and 5 years old. I will be doing it again very soon, this time @46000 miles and coming up to 9 years old. I am fortunate that I have a tame mechanic and I buy all my parts at wholesale cost from my previous employers so cost isn‘t a consideration.
along with the cambelt, I always replace the tensioner and idlers, the water pump and serpentine belt, and also flush out the radiator and add new coolant. Oil and filter change as well. The air filter will get checked, replace as necessary, and I think this year is pollen filter change time too.

Did you have the water pump changed? I've read different things about that. (I know with some engines, doing that is a bit of a no-brainer. others not the case)
The fitter asked me if I want to have the water pump done at the same time and I said yes , however when he checked the pump he said it was 100% ok , so it did not need doing , the engine has only done 29000k so that is the reason why , but all the belt tensioner was replaced

They did the pulleys tensoiner electric water pump and a service as well
thanks, but I don't think Skoda fit Fiat engines. (very different interval recommendations for different manufacturers)

I assume you meant your Skoda Yeti car? unless your camper is called "Yeti"

When I bought my fiat the dealer changed the timing belt and then I had it changed again, together with the water pump, 3 years later. I understood that was the correct interval for low mileage vehicles but have since been told the interval is 4 years. No regrets though as the failure mode does not bare thinking about. Can't remember the cost but I used a good local indy rather than a main dealer.
Thanks.
I don't know about the FIAT 2.3 JTD and which it is, but there are two types of engines generally - Interference and Non-Interference. If you have a non-interference engine, a belt failure is supposedly just an bit of an inconvenience. if Interference, you convert your engine into a bag of mangled parts if the belt fails :(

I'm fairly sure the fiat is interference. IIRC the vauxhall carlton, for example, was non interference. I had a boss once who would regularly require a tow (the car that is, not the boss) because his carlton had coasted to a halt in some inconvenient spot with a broken belt.

I'm fairly sure the fiat is interference. IIRC the vauxhall carlton, for example, was non interference. I had a boss once who would regularly require a tow (the car that is, not the boss) because his carlton had coasted to a halt in some inconvenient spot with a broken belt.
In that case, being cautious with the changes is definately the way to be!!

I had my last service done in The Netherlands, Fiat Professional dealer.
It was over £100 less than my Fiat dealer in UK.
If you are going abroad do check prices.
I'm not, but that is a good tip :)

According to Owners Handbook it's 180,000 km or 4 years arduous with upper limit of 5 yearsScreenshot_20201014-105027_OfficeSuite.jpg

Screenshot_20201014-105105_OfficeSuite.jpg

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back